AT World of Warcraft Thread (Legion, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
You'd really have to compare at same settings and same location. Performance can vary wildly depending on where you are in WoW.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I appreciate any feedback on this because I'm stumped.

I'd guess it is some shadows/AA/draw distance setting that at level 10 really works the gpu. WIth that setup I would expect you are pushing 80-100fps in most places besides raids of 15+ people. I don't know what my "level" setting is in game but at 1080 res with a rx480 and 8350 cpu I'm at 70-110 fps in everything but raids.

Oct 19, 2000
You'd really have to compare at same settings and same location. Performance can vary wildly depending on where you are in WoW.

Since this is the game I'm playing the most right now, I wanted a quick justification for my purchase, so before taking out my 1070, I stood in one place and just watched the frame rate for a minute. It held pretty steady. Then logged out without moving, swapped in the 1080Ti, then logged back in. Standing in the exact place, no movement, frame rate was essentially the same. I was measuring by standing in my garrison (currently leveling through WoD) and looking down into the garrison center with all the NPCs milling about and lots going on.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
WoW always been more cpu/network bandwidth limited than gpu. Not sure where the line is after them finally doing some graphic engine enhancements, but once you cross that with your gpu don't think you'll see it going higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: thejunglegod

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I was measuring by standing in my garrison (currently leveling through WoD) and looking down into the garrison center with all the NPCs milling about and lots going on.
Well I mean between players, not between your GPUs. One person stating they get 100fps and the other stating they get 30fps isn't very useful without matching settings (using set quality levels instead of custom) and picking a location that doesn't vary much (not Ogrimmar or other locations with lots of players, and not the Garrison).

I'm going through WoD at the moment and there are areas with a lot of vegetation and effects that is just killing my system, but in those areas that I'm sub-30fps my CPU is yawning on all but one thread (which is at about 75%) and my GPU is about 50%.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
wow this thread really died.

Anybody still playing? News, thoughts on ToS, class mounts, the Chromie scenario, 7.3 PTR? Alts, class changes? ANYTHING?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Been considering signing back up... haven't done it yet though. Tried FFXIV and while it was good, I'm not seeing any major advantage over WoW which I've already put a ton of work in.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
My wife and I got back into WoW recently, had played last in 2010 just before Cataclysm hit, so we have a LOT to catch up on. We basically powered past Cata and Pandaria but went through Draenor in its entirety and have just started Legion itself. We're just casual players though, basically playing as some side fun, we're not raiders or anything resembling hardcore that actually care about what happens to a skill on x patch or whatever.

Tanaan Jungle sucks.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
My wife and I got back into WoW recently, had played last in 2010 just before Cataclysm hit, so we have a LOT to catch up on. We basically powered past Cata and Pandaria but went through Draenor in its entirety and have just started Legion itself. We're just casual players though, basically playing as some side fun, we're not raiders or anything resembling hardcore that actually care about what happens to a skill on x patch or whatever.

Tanaan Jungle sucks.
Sadly they have stuck dungeons and raids as requirements to progress in Legions even for professions. I started back a year ago last May after quitting the release game after I hit 60. I played briefly on a freebee offer when Cataclysm came out back when EQ2 was offline for a month due to hackers so I had a steep learning curve as well and Draenor helped a lot with that. I have finally started trying out dungeons using the Dungeon Finder.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I don't mind having dungeons as requirements, though for professions that kinda weird. It's easy enough with dungeon finder to get what you need.

Raids will be a big problem though. We're in a small guild and we basically don't care much about raiding. How much of it is necessary?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I don't mind having dungeons as requirements, though for professions that kinda weird. It's easy enough with dungeon finder to get what you need.

Raids will be a big problem though. We're in a small guild and we basically don't care much about raiding. How much of it is necessary?
I could be mistaken about the raid piece but I do have a few of them active in my quest log at the moment trying to get through the hall and mage campaigns. My wife is less than understanding when it comes to "hey can you come help with..." and I reply "sorry in the middle of a raid at the moment".

Edit: I finished the mage campaign and it did require 1 raid but it was one available through the LFR system and was pretty easy to complete. I've finally started using the dungeon finder and LFR systems and they do help a lot.

Last edited:

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001

Tanaan Jungle sucks.

Yeah, the jungle is bad unless you have flying. That zone was a big motivation for going through the requirements for flying last xpac.

As for legion raiding, I think most of the required stuff is doable in LFR versions. I honestly don't know for sure as I've skipped a lot of that stuff and just raid these days. I still don't have the mount you get from Nighthold and still working on flying (I hate suramar).

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The LFR requirements were not as bad this time around. No rep involved mindlessly bashing on mobs for hours and hours as the sole method of progressing reputation.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
As for legion raiding, I think most of the required stuff is doable in LFR versions. I honestly don't know for sure as I've skipped a lot of that stuff and just raid these days. I still don't have the mount you get from Nighthold and still working on flying (I hate suramar).
They didn't have LFR back when I played last but all I see so far from guild members is how hard it is to get in a raid, since everyone is very militant about the ilvl you're at. So for us it will probably be a stupid chicken/egg situation where we can't progress with items unless we raid, but we can't raid LFR until we progress with items.

Have no idea yet though how it will be as we're mid 100's and progressing through the questlines.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Just signed back up last night... I guess I like pain!

Seriously though, GameStop sells battle net balance so when I traded in some stuff laying around I got some cards... pre-ordered SC Remastered and bought a month of WoW. Played for a few hours and already enjoying it again... going to finish getting flying.

I'm sure in a few months I'll be bored again, but that's how this MMORPG cycle goes.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sick and tired of all the green and black! green and black green and black and green and black!

Mac'Aree is cool, but the rest of argus is fugly and annoying.

Have stopped playing on my 110s and only playing on lower level characters.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
/target WoW thread
/cast resurrection

Spent the last few weeks on my monk, and I'm in love. What a fun class! I could easily see this as my main for a long time.
I've never enjoyed a single talent as much as I enjoy Whirling dragon punch, aka SHORYUKEN

Anyone else still playing? Did you all quit and wait for BfA, or classic servers?

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
/target WoW thread
/cast resurrection

Spent the last few weeks on my monk, and I'm in love. What a fun class! I could easily see this as my main for a long time.
I've never enjoyed a single talent as much as I enjoy Whirling dragon punch, aka SHORYUKEN

Anyone else still playing? Did you all quit and wait for BfA, or classic servers?
My main has always been a Mage however I have been spending most of my time the past couple of months playing my Assassination Rogues(1 on each side). I originally rolled one because I wanted a toon to open up all the lockboxes I had collected and ended up have a blast with the class. Plus stealth ability makes getting around Argus pretty easy as an added bonus.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I haven't played in a while. I got tired of Blizzard's need to push players to keep busy with constant content rather than letting players do what they want. I pretty much did anything that provided weapon power levels as that was pretty much the secondary level in this expansion... sort of like Paragon Levels in Diablo III. (Except you start working on it before even hitting max level.) The problem is that I was doing this on 3-4 characters at once (with plans to level my other characters), and it was just too much. WoD destroyed me with its Garrisons where I would do them every day for 1-2 hours per day. It was such a chore, but it made me money and got me stuff.

In a sense, you'd think that I would be cool with the idea of Classic servers, but I'm sort of mixed on the idea. I won't toss on my rose-colored glasses and say that everything about the Vanilla experience was perfect. I'm pretty sure anyone that raided can tell you that some of the annoyances that they dealt with. I mean... who enjoyed having to find eight warriors with the 4-piece T3 bonus? It gave you +5% chance to hit with Taunt, which missing a taunt usually meant a wipe.

Part of my problem is that I've become too cynical about game design. I think we tend to give a pass to things sometimes as being acceptable in a game, but in reality, it's just poor design. For example, how many melee remember farming nature resist gear for AQ40? A lot of this gear came from lower-level dungeons such as Mauradon and Razerfen Downs, which meant that you weren't only weakening yourself with low-end gear (i.e. the basic stats are lower than gear you should be wearing), but you're also losing secondary stats for resistance. I think there's nothing wrong with making players work toward things, but going back for such weak gear seems like it was more of an afterthought. Although, arguably, the fights were tuned for the melee having lower DPS since they had to soak damage.

My main has always been a Mage however I have been spending most of my time the past couple of months playing my Assassination Rogues(1 on each side). I originally rolled one because I wanted a toon to open up all the lockboxes I had collected and ended up have a blast with the class. Plus stealth ability makes getting around Argus pretty easy as an added bonus.

The worst part about playing a Rogue is when you go back to another class... apart from (Feral) Druid. :p You get so used to being able to skip past enemies that it feels like a chore to have to actually deal with them! Back in Vanilla, I leveled a Rogue, Priest, and then a Warrior. The Rogue was by far the easiest. Priest wasn't too bad, but could become overwhelmed if I wasn't careful... especially with using fear. (Undead were great enemies since I could actually CC them!) The worst was probably leveling a Warrior as Arms. I pretty much couldn't fight anything more than one enemy at a time. I also leveled a Mage to max level closer to the end of Vanilla, and that wasn't too bad.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I haven't played in a while. I got tired of Blizzard's need to push players to keep busy with constant content rather than letting players do what they want. I pretty much did anything that provided weapon power levels as that was pretty much the secondary level in this expansion... sort of like Paragon Levels in Diablo III. (Except you start working on it before even hitting max level.) The problem is that I was doing this on 3-4 characters at once (with plans to level my other characters), and it was just too much. WoD destroyed me with its Garrisons where I would do them every day for 1-2 hours per day. It was such a chore, but it made me money and got me stuff.

In a sense, you'd think that I would be cool with the idea of Classic servers, but I'm sort of mixed on the idea. I won't toss on my rose-colored glasses and say that everything about the Vanilla experience was perfect. I'm pretty sure anyone that raided can tell you that some of the annoyances that they dealt with. I mean... who enjoyed having to find eight warriors with the 4-piece T3 bonus? It gave you +5% chance to hit with Taunt, which missing a taunt usually meant a wipe.

Part of my problem is that I've become too cynical about game design. I think we tend to give a pass to things sometimes as being acceptable in a game, but in reality, it's just poor design. For example, how many melee remember farming nature resist gear for AQ40? A lot of this gear came from lower-level dungeons such as Mauradon and Razerfen Downs, which meant that you weren't only weakening yourself with low-end gear (i.e. the basic stats are lower than gear you should be wearing), but you're also losing secondary stats for resistance. I think there's nothing wrong with making players work toward things, but going back for such weak gear seems like it was more of an afterthought. Although, arguably, the fights were tuned for the melee having lower DPS since they had to soak damage.

The worst part about playing a Rogue is when you go back to another class... apart from (Feral) Druid. :p You get so used to being able to skip past enemies that it feels like a chore to have to actually deal with them! Back in Vanilla, I leveled a Rogue, Priest, and then a Warrior. The Rogue was by far the easiest. Priest wasn't too bad, but could become overwhelmed if I wasn't careful... especially with using fear. (Undead were great enemies since I could actually CC them!) The worst was probably leveling a Warrior as Arms. I pretty much couldn't fight anything more than one enemy at a time. I also leveled a Mage to max level closer to the end of Vanilla, and that wasn't too bad.

I'm really interested in seeing how they handle the classic servers. Is it just going to be the last patch before the bc incoming patch or are they actually going to go about fixing the massive amount of issues with the game. Also what are you actually going to do in the game? Gear up, clear Naxx and then back clear everything else on easy mode? Scaling won't be the same if everything is just available from day 1. What about the AQ opening event? Do strat and scholo get their original raid versions? What I would really like to see is a season like format where content is doled out and see who can race to the end.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm really interested in seeing how they handle the classic servers. Is it just going to be the last patch before the bc incoming patch or are they actually going to go about fixing the massive amount of issues with the game. Also what are you actually going to do in the game? Gear up, clear Naxx and then back clear everything else on easy mode? Scaling won't be the same if everything is just available from day 1. What about the AQ opening event? Do strat and scholo get their original raid versions? What I would really like to see is a season like format where content is doled out and see who can race to the end.

Yeah, I was wondering some of the same things when they announced it. Vanilla may be seen as the "harder time" in WoW, but even Vanilla changed a ton over time to make things a bit easier. For example, Scholomance got changed later on because it was considered too hard. Although, if I remember correctly, all level 60 dungeons were originally able to be completed in a raid group. I never did Scholomance while it was raidable, but I did quite a few Stratholme raid runs, which made it quite apparent why Blizzard changed that. Essentially, raiding Stratholme was just ridiculously easy, and was a great way to get loot... except I don't think Blizzard wanted it to be that easy.

I'm wondering if a lot of these questions are why Blizzard isn't just making these servers available quickly. If they start changing things, then some fans will be mad that they aren't providing the proper classic WoW experience, but arguably, those changes may be smart to make. Although, I think some of the bigger things that people want is just the social aspect. It's not uncommon to run into people that will just talk about how you actually had to talk to people "back in the day". I also remember other social aspects where I'd go have fun doing random crap with people for hours on end. Since flying mounts weren't a thing and most people didn't have fast mounts, exploring was a more common thing.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, I was wondering some of the same things when they announced it. Vanilla may be seen as the "harder time" in WoW, but even Vanilla changed a ton over time to make things a bit easier. For example, Scholomance got changed later on because it was considered too hard. Although, if I remember correctly, all level 60 dungeons were originally able to be completed in a raid group. I never did Scholomance while it was raidable, but I did quite a few Stratholme raid runs, which made it quite apparent why Blizzard changed that. Essentially, raiding Stratholme was just ridiculously easy, and was a great way to get loot... except I don't think Blizzard wanted it to be that easy.

I'm wondering if a lot of these questions are why Blizzard isn't just making these servers available quickly. If they start changing things, then some fans will be mad that they aren't providing the proper classic WoW experience, but arguably, those changes may be smart to make. Although, I think some of the bigger things that people want is just the social aspect. It's not uncommon to run into people that will just talk about how you actually had to talk to people "back in the day". I also remember other social aspects where I'd go have fun doing random crap with people for hours on end. Since flying mounts weren't a thing and most people didn't have fast mounts, exploring was a more common thing.
I completely agree with the social aspect. When I see people fawning over the vanilla/bc days it usually boils down to the fun things they did with a group of people they found. It was never the activity that was the highlight, it was the people. Forcing people to interact and grow/develop their skills provides rewards outside of an ilvl increase that can't be replicated through other means. When you sat in IF with your high end raid gear and people would ask you questions or stare at you it wasn't just because you had that gear, it was that you had all the support structures in place to get that gear, from time to effort and most importantly the people to accomplish the goal. You had friendships. Who the hell was going to spend all that damn time in a raid wiping repeatedly if they didn't have people they really enjoyed playing with. I have friends that I made in early vanilla that I still talk to on a regular basis, conversations that no longer reside in game. Thinking on such things I wonder how a server which has lfd and lfr removed would function, basically reverting the solo aspect introduced in WotLK back to vanilla/bc levels of social interaction. Honestly the better answer would be to somehow create meaningful content that requires people to form new social bonds but I don't know what sort of activity would support that or how to even reintroduce that concept.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Although, if I remember correctly, all level 60 dungeons were originally able to be completed in a raid group.
Ubrs was the only one that really required more than five, as long as your players weren't slackers. Usually guilds would run a crew through school though to get access to the alchemist table in there for flasks, and sometimes would just do quick pre-raid runs though dungeons for some random gear item or keying (runs to BRD boss for one of the epics while clearing to MC or getting people keyed after they added it comes to mind).

You are correct though in that I think you could technically zone in to any of them with 40, iirc.