AT World of Warcraft Thread (Legion, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Is it still the first?

Patch 7.2.5 - Trial of Style
Patch 7.2.5 adds the Trial of Style event! Six players enter the Mogwalk and change their transmog and haircut to match one of the themes below. Two players are teleported to the stage and the remaining players vote. First, second, and third place recieve prizes, while everyone else gets a consoolation prize. These prizes contain varying amounts of Mog Week Token, which can be exchanged for transmoggable gear in Dalaran.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Man this sounds like a disaster since I quit playing in November. I was pretty happy with the game, I just got busy with other stuff. Thought about returning (as I tend to do), but sounds like a bad idea.

Reactions: thejunglegod

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Hah, sounds like a variant of the "dance studio" idea/joke from years ago.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I'm really just interested in the lore and want to know what happens with Kiljaeden and how he gets obliterated (again). And I really want to know how Illidan redeems himself. That was one of the main reasons I played legion, but knowing that all crucial storyline cinematics are available on youtube, grinding for the same is not really worth it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I'm really just interested in the lore and want to know what happens with Kiljaeden and how he gets obliterated (again). And I really want to know how Illidan redeems himself. That was one of the main reasons I played legion, but knowing that all crucial storyline cinematics are available on youtube, grinding for the same is not really worth it.

The complete derailing of the Sylvie storyline has me pretty peeved. We've seen/heard nothing about this storyline, as far as I can tell she's content to just kill worgen in Stormheim for the rest of the expansion.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hate Sylvanas. I hate everything about her. Blizzard needs to kill her off like Garrosh.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hate Sylvanas. I hate everything about her. Blizzard needs to kill her off like Garrosh.
Aww really? I like her. Poor thing got screwed over by Arthas by not getting a respectful death and getting "Bansheed". All she wanted was revenge which she did get. However, it's the Valkyries that convinced her to stay alive when she decided to kill herself after the death of Arthas.
Why do you not like her? For abandoning Varian? Well, they would've all died if the horde hadn't pulled out.

Last edited:

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009

While they do write some interesting bits and it can be fun to see an arc here and there the overall lore of the game is so full full holes and contradictions and retcons that I cant understand how people are still fans of it.

As far as sylvanas and the forsaken goes they really should have stopped being a playable faction after wrath if you want things to make sense. Blizzard has so badly confused they idea of soul, undead, and living with the mish mash of gods, various afterlifes and philosophies that I cant see any way to make any of the bits of forsaken story fit together anymore. Personally I thought the wrath ending with replacing the lich king was one of the weakest moments of story blizzard has done.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Aww really? I like her Poor thing got screwed over by Arthas by not getting a respectful death and getting "Bansheed". All she wanted was revenge which she did get. However, it's the Valkyries that convinced her to stay alive when she decided to kill herself after the death of Arthas.
Why do you not like her? For abandoning Varian? Well, they would've all died if the horde hadn't pulled out.

She's a conceited, self-serving, maniacal asshole. She thirsts for power beyond all else. I honestly don't know what you could like about her.

As for Varian, I have no ties to him since I have been primarily a Horde player since Wrath. That whole Legion intro is extremely annoying, since they had a nobody demon kill Vul'jin before he even got any real story development, and then they replace him with freakin' Sylvanas of all people? No, sorry. That's one of the dumbest storyline decisions you've ever made, Blizzard.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Since the release of Patch 7.2, we’ve been working to resolve issues with realm performance that were causing players to experience heavy latency and/or disconnects on the Broken Isles. As our investigation has continued, we’ve discovered that many of these issues were being inadvertently caused by addons intended to automate the creation and joining of groups via the Group Finder, even for players who were not using those addons.

Today, we’ve changed what addons can do when interacting with Group Finder, in order to address major performance issues with the game service for players— not just for those using these addons, but for others as well.

In order to alleviate those issues, we’ve recently applied a hotfix that changes how addons interact with the Group Finder. Players will now need to give a manual confirmation when an addon attempts to:
- List and delist a Group Finder group.
- Search for and request an invite to a Group Finder group.

Addons that are affected by these changes will need to be updated to comply with this new restriction. We understand that this is a relatively sudden change, but it was important to resolve the performance issues as quickly as possible.

Note: If you are not using an addon that modifies the Group Finder feature, you should not encounter any issues resulting from this change.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Can anyone here run WoW at graphic settings 10 with everything max fine ? I am talking about with at least decent fps too!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Can anyone here run WoW at graphic settings 10 with everything max fine ? I am talking about with at least decent fps too!
6700k @4.5, 1080gtx @stock, 1440p, i can do 10's on everything and maintain 60 but I'm normally at 8's or so with one or two unnecessary settings down a bit (like AA @8x instead of 16x or whatever) to maintain >90 (144hz screen).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Hey all,

I've just learned that we've disabled WoW Tokens for the time being - this is intentional, and not a bug, but is being looked into.

I don't have details to share on the 'why' or the 'when will they be back' questions you inevitably have, but I'll update you as I can.

Thanks for your patience!

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Got my flying. It's like a whole other game. But what was up with the broken isle chain? The weekly chain that lead to unlocking Nighthold was actually fun. It advanced the story a little every week and was never frustrating. The Broken Isle chain is just "Go here, kill 100 of that" or "Ride around for hours and loot 10 of these" with the only story coming from quest text turn ins. Talk about phoning it in.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
Got my flying. It's like a whole other game. But what was up with the broken isle chain? The weekly chain that lead to unlocking Nighthold was actually fun. It advanced the story a little every week and was never frustrating. The Broken Isle chain is just "Go here, kill 100 of that" or "Ride around for hours and loot 10 of these" with the only story coming from quest text turn ins. Talk about phoning it in.
Flying feelsgoodman

I'm almost there. 5k / 12k. I refuse to lvl a single character 100-110 without it... and I have a few that I am wanting to play, badly.

I also 100% agree with you on Broken Shore, its mostly a piece of shit. They have tried twice now to recreate Timeless Isle, since so many people loved that concept... imo they've failed miserably since then. I thought Tanaan Jungle was shitty.

I think the biggest difference was 2 things.
1. The rep in TI was just for fun: pets, mounts etc. The reps in TJ and Broken are now tied to unlocking flying, which sucks the fun out of it.
2. The gear tokens on TI weren't soulbound. They are in TJ and Broken. I realize this can create a 'gear up alts without even playing them' situation.... but, I'd submit that you'd be more likely to play an alt if you can get a big ilvl boost right after hitting max lvl and hop right into whatever you want, because you're NOT wearing quest greens.

Oct 19, 2000
Would like some feedback on my graphic situation. I was running a i7-6700k and GTX1070 with 16GB of RAM. In fullscreen/windowed, graphic quality maxed at 10, MSAAx8 AA, no max framerate defined, g-sync 1440p/144Hz monitor....i would get around 55-59 fps in town. I upgraded to the 1080Ti today and after hopping into the game and not changing anything, I was then getting..........55-59fps. Literally nothing changed. I've verified my monitor is set to 144Hz in Windows, G-Sync is enabled for fullscreen/windowed, letting the game decide on graphical settings. Really, nothing changed at all between the 1070 and 1080Ti, but I'm seeing zero improvement.

Does this mean I'm essentially bottlenecked on the CPU? I haven't yet viewed CPU usage but I can't imagine that's it. If I lower the overall graphics slider down to 1, the game has no problems maxing out at 144Hz (obviously), so I know my monitor settings are correct.

I appreciate any feedback on this because I'm stumped.

EDIT: Should also note that v-sync is off in-game. I've tried switching to true fullscreen instead of windowed fullscreen, nothing changes, same framerates.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
From what I'm seeing so far after returning to wow, it's single thread and/or draw limited. It also seems to have massive overdraw, very little occlusion culling. On my Ryzen 1700 and GTX 980 I'm getting around 15% cpu usage with pretty much all of it on a single thread and around 50% VRAM usage and 50% overall GPU usage.

Oct 19, 2000
From what I'm seeing so far after returning to wow, it's single thread and/or draw limited. It also seems to have massive overdraw, very little occlusion culling. On my Ryzen 1700 and GTX 980 I'm getting around 15% cpu usage with pretty much all of it on a single thread and around 50% VRAM usage and 50% overall GPU usage.

Yeah, just tested a bit myself and I'm seeing the same thing. About 30% CPU usage and ~50% GPU usage for me. I'm going to run a couple of quick 3DMark tests to make sure the 1080Ti is running at expected levels, just seemed really weird to not notice any increase in framerate at all.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Would like some feedback on my graphic situation. I was running a i7-6700k and GTX1070 with 16GB of RAM. In fullscreen/windowed, graphic quality maxed at 10, MSAAx8 AA, no max framerate defined, g-sync 1440p/144Hz monitor....i would get around 55-59 fps in town. I upgraded to the 1080Ti today and after hopping into the game and not changing anything, I was then getting..........55-59fps. Literally nothing changed. I've verified my monitor is set to 144Hz in Windows, G-Sync is enabled for fullscreen/windowed, letting the game decide on graphical settings. Really, nothing changed at all between the 1070 and 1080Ti, but I'm seeing zero improvement.

Does this mean I'm essentially bottlenecked on the CPU? I haven't yet viewed CPU usage but I can't imagine that's it. If I lower the overall graphics slider down to 1, the game has no problems maxing out at 144Hz (obviously), so I know my monitor settings are correct.

I appreciate any feedback on this because I'm stumped.

EDIT: Should also note that v-sync is off in-game. I've tried switching to true fullscreen instead of windowed fullscreen, nothing changes, same framerates.

Yeah, something's not right there. I've got a 1080, oc'd 6700k (4.5), with probably the same monitor (271hu?) and I get >90FPS basically everywhere. You could try pulling the view distance down to 9 or 8 and seeing if it doubles your fps (I think mine's normally at 8 or 9) so what @Malogeek stated it could be a draw call problem.