AT World of Warcraft: Classic Thread

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
For discussion of World of Warcraft: Classic only.

Capture.PNG

I'm really excited about this release. I originally played WoW in its golden age between Early 2005- Late 2007 and stopped playing a few months after Burning Crusade released to focus on university. Classic should be a nostalgia trip of epic proportions (especially now that I don't have to choose between playing and studying!).

Resources:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/wowclassic
https://wow.gamepedia.com/World_of_Warcraft:_Classic
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/wow-classic-release-date-news,news-29578.html

Forums:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/wow-classic

Content will be added in "phases" (see below)
https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/classic-world-of-warcraft

Release August 27th

On that note: Who will be playing? Did you play between 2004-2007 and is nostalgia pulling you back? Is anyone interested in forming a guild?

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Played in beta/release, as well as end of BC, and have been playing from roughly cata -> now, albeit very casually with the GF and her bro. Raided back in the good 'ol days though. Was fun breaking into MC for the first time. I still miss talent trees, and I still think blizz made a mistake dumping the early beta 'skill points/AAs'. I thought that was a fun idea.

Unsure if we'll do classic, maybe!

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I'm not sure I understand the point of this. Isn't WOW still going? I played it back in the beginning but it was incredibly grindy/time consuming.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I'm not sure I understand the point of this. Isn't WOW still going? I played it back in the beginning but it was incredibly grindy/time consuming.
It's not for you. Vanilla WoW may as well be a different game from what wears the title today, for good or for ill. Azeroth was a pretty dangerous place in the olden days. You often needed the help of others, not just for instances, but even things as simple as completing quests in the overworld.

Without help, even retrieving a medal from a den of angry Murlocs can be a dangerous endeavor. But help people you would, so that there would be those on your friends list who could and would return the favor when you were in the same fix. It fostered community in a way modern WoW doesn't, and was richer for it.

Reactions: DooKey

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
It's not for you. Vanilla WoW may as well be a different game from what wears the title today, for good or for ill. Azeroth was a pretty dangerous place in the olden days. You often needed the help of others, not just for instances, but even things as simple as completing quests in the overworld.

Without help, even retrieving a medal from a den of angry Murlocs can be a dangerous endeavor. But help people you would, so that there would be those on your friends list who could and would return the favor when you were in the same fix. It fostered community in a way modern WoW doesn't, and was richer for it.

I know it's not for me. I don't have the kind of time or desire to play an MMORPG. I was just curious as to why they were releasing it.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
I know it's not for me. I don't have the kind of time or desire to play an MMORPG. I was just curious as to why they were releasing it.
There's been an enormous demand for it for a few years now. Most people miss the community and RPG elements of the game which the retail version has deserted.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I logged in played 9 minutes as a dwarf, got disconnected, and then have been tryin to get back in for hours .... gonna have dinner soon and will then just watch youtube or netflix.

Other people in my guild are in and left starting zones and were able to play ok.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
back in 2004, when I gave up tryin to reconnect, I had to make my own food.
Now, wife orders delicious pizza from Nancys Pizza :)

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I logged in played 9 minutes as a dwarf, got disconnected, and then have been tryin to get back in for hours .... gonna have dinner soon and will then just watch youtube or netflix.

Other people in my guild are in and left starting zones and were able to play ok.

What realm are you playing on? My buddies and I are on Blaumeux (PVP)

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Same. I don't know how people find the time to play 16 hour days. Even if I was retired or a millionaire with all the time in the world, this game just seems excessive. Not judging though.

BTW, those "my wife, bf, girlfriend left me because on my WoW addiction are really sad. I had read about some guy who lost his job and went homeless because of WoW. Met a 21 year old who dropped out of highschool because of WoW. And, he was excited to be playing Classic WoW. Couldn't wait. I'm thinking to myself man, what about your GED? lol

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Yeah, I used to log about 14-16 hours a day for nearly a decade. Now it's only about 10 or 12 tops. It sounds bad, but I've always felt enormous relief when logged in, as well as distress in equal measure when logged out. The only reality I've ever known has basically always been so horrible that I'm generally too desperate to do otherwise just to cope. I can't even deal with being in my own body before suicidal thoughts begin gnawing at the back of my mind and only through living vicariously in the likes of WoW and Nintendo do I find adequate antidote to the symptoms.

Some people have told me it wouldn't be this way if I spent as much time making my reality better, but frankly, I can't spend more than a few minutes holding a conversation with someone in the real world before slipping into a daze of sorts where I dissociate and fixate on the moment when I can go back to my alternative reality. For people like me, WoW Classic is like a chance to return to a previous point in my life.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
nkeknYM.jpg