At work, I've inherited an NForce4-based A64X2 machine...

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
It's been quite awhile since I did any Athlon X2-based overclocking. But my crappy Netburst-based work computer is just not getting it done anymore, so I purloined the only Athon X2-based computer in the entire company (forget C2D - NO ONE has one of those here!)

This box is actually pretty decent. It has 2 GB of OCZ PLatinum 2-3-2-5 DDR-400 memory (the same exact stix I have in the Athlon machine in my sig), a 3800+, and an Asus A8N-SLI NForce4-based mobo. The BIOS is pretty much what you would expect from a box of this vintage, but nevertheless it's still a lot faster than any of our crappy desktops around here (I work for a Silicon Valley startup).

Before I do any OCing, I simply must replace the laughably inadequate HSF assembly on this unit (it has a laboring 80mm fan!). But idle temps are around 40C, so I would guess that with a decent HSF replacement, I should be able to goose this puppy at least a couple speed grades, 3800's being such good historical overclockers.

My questions are:

1) Do I tweak the HyperTransport frequency? It offers options from 1x to 5x and Auto. I've left it at Auto.

2) Asus' JumperFree menu is pretty succinct. I expect to set the multi to 10x. I've successfully POSTED and booted Linux to a 210 MHz memory setting. So I have 2 questions:

a) what is the max safe CPU voltage -I mean SAFE.
b) Should I bump the memory voltage as well? If so, what are acceptable values?

As you can tell, it's been awhile since I played with the X2 stuff. It's pretty straightforward but I don't want to fry anything.

I'm hoping that with a careful voltage boost and some looser timings, I can get the memory to run at 240MHz. A 20% OC should not be out of the question.

My hope is to get to 4400+ speeds stable. That would make it by far the fastest computer in my company. (At least until I prevail on my boss to finally let me buy a C2D!) I can't imagine that would be too hard with a good HSF. Machine runs quite nicely right now at 2.1 GHz, and now the CPU idles at 48C.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
The quick rundown on overclocking A64's:

1) Overclocking the RAM does you no good, except for benchmarking, and even then, very little. Just lower the RAM's speed to 166 Mhz/DDR 333.
2) Lower the HT multiplier to 4x. Having it above 1000 Mhz only effects stability, not performance.
3) With proper cooling, you can safely go as high as 1.45v of vcore.
4) Newegg had the AC Freezer 64 on sale for $20 or $25 yesterday. It's good for ~2.5 Ghz, usually. edit: Okay, it's $26.99 w/free shipping.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Ahhh. The grand slam of X2 OCing advice.

Setting the RAM to 333 - it's not obvious to me which setting that is. I'm looking at the BIOS right now. Doesn't seem to be anywhere in the Advanced menu. HT 4X?

I thank you, sir. I may have, in fact, a gross overkill cooler at home I can use. But excellent tip.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
Setting the RAM to 333 - it's not obvious to me which setting that is. I'm looking at the BIOS right now. Doesn't seem to be anywhere in the Advanced menu.

Okay, I just downloaded the manual for that board, and the setting you're looking for is called Memclock Index Value. It's located under DRAM Configuration.

Yeah, that will allow you to run up to a 250 Mhz FSB, without exceeding 1,000 Mhz HT frequency.

I may have, in fact, a gross overkill cooler at home I can use. But excellent tip.

There's no such thing as overkill, when it comes to heatsinks, only good, better, and just right.;)

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
My x2 3800+ does 2.6ghz with 1.35 vcore ... My board won't do more then 260-270fsb though, so more vcore gets me nowhere.

The ram settings are under CPU configuration of I'm not mistaken, just use 166mhz =333mhz, if you raise the FSB, the ram wil automatically creep towards 400mhz again ...

corsa

Nov 6, 2005
Pretty much what Myocardia has said..
Keep HT Link below 1000Mhz, Multiplyer x10, drop memory clocks down real low for testing e.g 133, & set initial volts to 1.5 to get an idea of potential..watch ur temps ;)
I've found using RMClock program I can run with lower cpu volts.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: nerp
You sure you want to OC a work machine?

No issues there. This is a box that is very similar to something I built a few years ago. My only concern is getting my apps and settings over.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Woo hoo! On first attempt, set the HT multi to 4x, cranked the FSB to 240Mhz, and it just booted Linux flawlessly.

Strange, at first I still had the memclock index set to 400Mhz and it still ran! I did get some boot warning messages, but it still ran.

Set to 333Mhz now. It boots with no warnings at all.

Also able to set the memory to 1T timings, which definitely helps with this type of CPU. Awesome!

It's now running at 2.5 GHz, which being that it has 2x512K cache pretty much makes it a 4800+ equivalent. I would strongly suspect this blows my NetBurst machine out of the water.

Booting Linux flawlessly. I'm overjoyed. I think I have my next work computer! Now all I have to do is transfer my Windows installation. That should be TONS of fun.