At what point would it make more sense to buy a tool rather than renting it?

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
I'd like to install molding in 4 rooms of my house and the hammer just ain't cutting it. I can rent one of those CO2 Cartridge finish nailers from Home Depot for $30/day + CO2 + nails. It also seems that I can get a decent compressor/finish nailer kit for around $175-200.

At what point would it make better sense to rent than to buy?

I figure that I will not be able to finish nailing the molding in a 24 hour period (due to my general noobness). So I would probably need to rent at least twice--which would already be 30% of the kit purchase. I'd also prefer not to feel the pressure to hurry through the job to get the nailer back to HD in time .

On the other hand I'd prefer not to waste money on a purchase that I may only use 2-3 times.
Yerg. Decisions. Decisions.

Thoughts?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
How much will you use the kit if you buy it? If you'll get 6-7 days use out of it in the next few years it would be worth buying it. If you're going to use it once or twice you're betting off renting.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I always just purchase the tools, they'll come in handy later. Unless it's like a one time use tool that's expensive and big/don't have room for.

A good air compressor can be awesome and you can use all sorts of tools with it. DO NOT get a cheap one. They're terrible.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Buy the brad nail gun, it's worth it. Plus, it will make you look more like a carpenter, which is always cool.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Get yourself a compressor. Trust me.

Even if you just use it for the nailer, it's worth having.

If you want to go the cheap route, get a pancake compressor and a cheap nail gun. (All you'll need after that is some air hose and couplers and some nails). Won't cost you very much more than the ~$60 for the rental.

In general, my rule about tools is that if I can buy the tools and materials for the job for less than paying someone to do the job for me, I can justify getting the tool.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I usually only rent tools that I just won't need often enough to justify spending the money on a new one, or storing it. Like I just rented a bull float for doing concrete work over the weekend. Fifteen bucks rental just made more sense than buying something that I won't use again until I build my house in a few years.

If you own your own home, you will probably find plenty of things to use an air compressor on. I use mine all the time.

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Squisher
The compressor will come in handy for a lot more than just for the nailer.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/455434632.html

I saw that! I was looking at this as well:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/454600496.html

Its a 6 gallon 135 psi compressor and finish/brad nailer set for $175.

I guess one of the things I'm still trying to figure out is how much compressor/nailer I need. 1 gallon? 6 gallons? 100psi or 150 psi? Brad or finish? One of the areas that I will need to attach the molding is in the kitchen, where I'll be attaching molding to the base of oak cabinets. I'd hate to spend $200 dollars on something that won't even work for what I need.

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage

If you want to go the cheap route, get a pancake compressor and a cheap nail gun. (All you'll need after that is some air hose and couplers and some nails). Won't cost you very much more than the ~$60 for the rental.

In general, my rule about tools is that if I can buy the tools and materials for the job for less than paying someone to do the job for me, I can justify getting the tool.

Thanks for the recommendation, will 100psi be enough for a finish nailer on oak? Is Central Pneumatics a brand you've used before?

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: DrVos

I guess one of the things I'm still trying to figure out is how much compressor/nailer I need. 1 gallon? 6 gallons? 100psi or 150 psi? Brad or finish? One of the areas that I will need to attach the molding is in the kitchen, where I'll be attaching molding to the base of oak cabinets. I'd hate to spend $200 dollars on something that won't even work for what I need.

You will not need > 100 psi for any nailer (not that I've seen, anyways).

A brad or finish nailer will work fine in your case, you don't really need to worry about it. I would probably get a brad nailer to start out (it should be more than sufficient for this job), and you can always expand your collection in the future when the need arises.

Unless you are planning to get into high-volume air tools, the pancake-type compressor will be all that you need. When and if you decide to upgrade in the future (you will always want a bigger compressor), you will still have your little pancake for doing odd jobs that are too far away from your main compressor. It's a win/win.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage

Thanks for the recommendation, will 100psi be enough for a finish nailer on oak? Is General Pneumatics a brand you've used before?

Yes, the 100 psi will be more than enough. Most nailers will have a max working pressure of 100 anyways.

I have used the General Pneumatics stuff, and it's fine for home use. I break out one of my nail guns every few months, and I've never had a problem. I have heard some stories about them breaking down and such, but that is under heavy usage. If you are planning on starting a carpentry hobby, it's probably not for you. For general home improvement stuff, it's fine, and you can't beat the price.

Dec 27, 2001
Most nailers work between 60-100 actually.

I always buy. You'll be able to take your time and read the instructions and get the job done at whatever pace you want. And, once you have it, you may think of other uses. And if you don't use it again, somebody on Craigslist will buy it for close to what you paid.

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll go with the combo that AbsoluteDealage recommended. Here's to not having nail shaped holes in my body when I'm done!

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher
The compressor will come in handy for a lot more than just for the nailer.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/455434632.html

I saw that! I was looking at this as well:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/454600496.html

Its a 6 gallon 135 psi compressor and finish/brad nailer set for $175.

The only thing that compressor won't do is power spinning tools or fill up your tires for more than 20 seconds. I have that compressor and can use it with an impact for about two lug nuts then I have to wait a minute for compressor to catch up. Same with filling tires, if I'm down 20 psi there'll be a time when I'm waiting for it to catch up. I've even used it with a small air chisel.

For any impulse tools (like nailers) or spray painting you'll never have to wait.

Dec 27, 2001
http://www.amazon.com/Campbell...&qid=1193089049&sr=1-3

$99 combo kit from Amazon....includes compressor, brad nailer, and accessories including hose. Nice deal.

Personally, I'd get a small oiled compressor like the Makita MAC700 and get the nailer seperately. Oiled will be much more quiet and Makita is usually high quality so should last a long time. I don't skimp on tools. The better they are, the more you'll enjoy using them and therefore the more you'll be inclined to use them. They'll also work better and longer.

huberm

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
keep in mind if you purchase the equipment you can sell it at a later date and recoup part of the money you invested.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I tend to borrow specialized power tools from relatives (one works in HVAC and one frames houses) when I need them. I own a few basic tools (like a couple of cordless drills, etc.) but have no room for a workshop setup. :(

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006

Depends on the quality of the brad nailer, but they range from $40-$500.

I have a $40 Performance (Iron Horse) brad nailer that perform just as well as my $300 Milwaukee oil less brad nailer.

My elcheapo nailer doesn't have rubber bumper to protect the finishing surface, and the depth adjustment has to be done by the compressor pressure gauge. However, it works like a charm with a bit of care & some tape at the tip.

IMHO, it worth it to own a compressor because it can be use for many other projects beside nailing trims.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I buy the tools.
But, you can get away cheaper if you don't think you'll need a little pansy compressor and a nailer you may never use again.
Text