At what point will the economy be Obama's fault?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
How long after Obama takes office will the economy be his fault? How long is the economy going to be Bush's fault and not the Obama's?

****please note the date of the OP******

Last edited:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
It's almost impossible to tell. We still feel the effects of the last 10 Presidents in various ways.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Never. For the next 4 years we will only hear how this is all Bush's fault.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It will be Obama's fault when he does something which directly influences the economy in tangible ways.

IMO, Bush isn't directly responsible for most of what we see, excepting energy. That has a direct causal relationship with Iraq. Instability and wars drive up energy prices, and this has been a very long war in a very sensitive part of the world.

I'd hold Obama to a similar standard.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The same amount of time should be used when people were blaming Bush for the recession that he inherited from Clinton.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Probably somewhere after the first year of his second term, if we have successfully fought off a lost decade, but hyper-inflation is now out of control, and he has not developed a reasonable and effective plan to combat it.

Warren Buffet projected range of 2 - 5 year recession, with unemployment peaking at 7% (former) or 9% (latter) at the beginning of September.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Corbett

Not from you.

EDIT: Also, as far as I can tell, people are already blaming Obama for the economy. The day after the election, the Dow fell quite a lot, and I seem to recall someone posting a thread about it saying investors were responding to the election.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Depends on what he does and how those actions translate in the Economy. So it's kind of impossible to say until things start happening. Some expect his Tax Changes will be bad or his Minimum Wage will be bad, time will tell.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca

Not from you.

EDIT: Also, as far as I can tell, people are already blaming Obama for the economy. The day after the election, the Dow fell quite a lot, and I seem to recall someone posting a thread about it saying investors were responding to the election.

hehe, yup.

Similar things were posted when Bush was first Elected.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I don't know anything about this "fault" that you speak of -- mainly because I despise The Blame Game -- but it will certainly become one of his primary responsibilities on January 20th, 2009.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I still blame Franklin D. Roosevelt for fucking up our economy and starting social programs trying to get out of the Depression.

Edit - He lucked out with the war and ran things smoothly on that front.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: palehorse
I don't know anything about this "fault" that you speak of -- mainly because I despise The Blame Game -- but it will certainly become one of his primary responsibilities on January 20th, 2009.

I chose fault rather than responsibility on purpose. We all know when Obama will be responsible for the economy, I am curious to know when the public and the media will start blaming him.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I shit you not, I read a user comment on the local newspaper website yesterday that blamed Obama for the stock market going down the day after his election.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
It will be Obama's fault when he does something which directly influences the economy in tangible ways.

IMO, Bush isn't directly responsible for most of what we see, excepting energy. That has a direct causal relationship with Iraq. Instability and wars drive up energy prices, and this has been a very long war in a very sensitive part of the world.

I'd hold Obama to a similar standard.

Originally posted by: TallBill
It's almost impossible to tell. We still feel the effects of the last 10 Presidents in various ways.

both of these are right.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
It really depends on how rational and economically sophisticated one is. There is always a temptation to use economic policies that short term stimulate but are long term counterproductive. Even now Obama expected policies have some economic effect, on 1/21/2009 and thereafter, we can make some judgments on what we think about actual policies regarding short or long term smart, but it took 12 years to dig out of the spend and borrow mess Reagan left us, and the GWB orgy of spend and borrow will take much longer to dig out of.

As it is, we do not yet know if the current world banking system is totally broken or not, and until the extent of the disease is known, its hard to offer the correct cure.

But as usual, we blunder along, from one extreme to the other, and in some minds, its already all Obama's fault. But my guess, no matter what Obama does, it will get worse before it gets better. And never get better if much of what Obama does in the next four years is not long term smart. Translation, do not look for instant recovery, its going to be a lean next four years, but much opportunity may open up in the way of new and smarter technologies.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: rudeguy
How long after Obama takes office will the economy be his fault? How long is the economy going to be Bush's fault and not the Obama's?

Your kind have already been saying it is the Democrats fault since 2006 and Obama's fault since Tuesday.

Hell you guys have still been blaming Clinton.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Your kind have already been saying it is the Democrats fault since 2006 and Obama's fault since Tuesday.

Your kind have already been saying it is the Republicans fault since 2000 and Bush's fault since before Tuesday.

Hell you guys have still been blaming Reagan.

Stop using labels, they are generic.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Your kind have already been saying it is the Republicans fault since 2000 and Bush's fault since before Tuesday.

Hell you guys have still been blaming Reagan.

Stop using labels, they are generic.

Actually absolutely correct.

Reagon trickle down economics is pure crap, the only thing that trickles down is shit and that is what Republicans put into place ever since Reagan.

No labeling here, just the facts and the truth.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca

Not from you.

That was me and I was just posting stupid shit in response to the stupid comments others were posting in that thread.

Personally I think Obama and the Dems have 2 years (the next election) to step up to the plate and at least have the economy stabliized. 2 years is a long time for the people that are suffering and I think they will turn on the Dem's if they don't have a plan that has produced some results by then.

They have the presidency, and nice majorities in the house and senate. They've been complaining about partisian politics for how long now? And they have promised change.

Lip service will only work so long.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I think you need to reword the title and differentiate between economists and the general public.