At what point will NY Jets fans realize its all hype?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well, techs... Even you should admit that any team making it to the conference championship game can't be "all hype".

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Man, you're pathetic. 30 teams couldn't win their conference this year, but the Jets did better than 28 of them - including the Patriots. How pathetic are those Patriots? Couldn't even win a single playoff game. Even the Seahawks won a playoff game. :biggrin: Watching the Jets beat the Patriots was almost as satisfying as watching the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Remember that one? Best Super Bowl Ever.

Reality is asking you how many rings Brady is wearing.

And no, I am not Pats fan by any measure.

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The Jets played a great second half, if only they had done the same in the first they would have won this game.

I knew there was no way they were going to beat the Steelers on the road. That's just too tall an order, the Steelers are simply dominant on their home turf.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Well, techs... Even you should admit that any team making it to the conference championship game can't be "all hype".

Hype is not making it to the big game when you talk about how great your team is.

Hype is barely making the playoffs.

Hype is not showing up for half a playoff game.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Hype is not making it to the big game when you talk about how great your team is.

Every coach (and fan) talks up the potential for their team to make the Super Bowl and obviously most are disappointed. That's optimism and/or positive thinking more than "hype".

Making the play-offs is an accomplishment, more a fulfillment of potential than a failure (especially compared to all those teams that didn't).

It seems to me that at least the offenses of all four teams only showed up for half of their play-off games. The Steelers and Packers just made more of their first halves than the Jets and Bears made of their second halves.

Maybe all of them are just over-hyped. :biggrin:

I agree that Rex Ryan is irritating and something of an attention whore, but the Jets team had reason to set high expectations for themselves and managed to do pretty well this season.

You've got to give some credit where credit is due (don't you?) :confused:

(Go Packers)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
as I recall, their record was one win short of that of the second seed in the AFC, barely making playoffs not found.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

lol. If the Jets had won, but lost in the superbowl you would still be sticking the 'hype.'

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
what a shitty first half of a game, the second half was really entertaining to watch though

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
To all those obnoxious drunk fratboys walking around my neighborhood in green chanting "J-E-T-S" may I say: HA-HA /nelson muntz

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
they made it to the afc championship game lat year, schedule won't be much different next year.
But the teams who they played who had winning records last season collapsed this year.
The Bengals, Vikings,Texans, Broncos all were winning or .500 teams last year. This year the Bengals and Broncos were 4-12. The Vikings went from 12-4 to 6-10. The Texans from 9-7 to 6-10.
Even with the 14-2 Patriots, the Jets played by far the softest schedule of any team in the playoffs except the Seahawks.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Every coach (and fan) talks up the potential for their team to make the Super Bowl and obviously most are disappointed. That's optimism and/or positive thinking more than "hype".

Making the play-offs is an accomplishment, more a fulfillment of potential than a failure (especially compared to all those teams that didn't).

It seems to me that at least the offenses of all four teams only showed up for half of their play-off games. The Steelers and Packers just made more of their first halves than the Jets and Bears made of their second halves.

Maybe all of them are just over-hyped. :biggrin:

I agree that Rex Ryan is irritating and something of an attention whore, but the Jets team had reason to set high expectations for themselves and managed to do pretty well this season.

You've got to give some credit where credit is due (don't you?) :confused:

(Go Packers)

That's not true, Ryan pretty much declared the Jets superbowl victors during the OFFSEASON. I've never heard a coach do that before. I don't think i've ever heard a coach do that during the regular season.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
With Singletary gone, a real coach might be able to make a difference.

Yeah. I'd be nice to see them in a time slot other than the noon Sunday games so I can have a chance to watch them (which means they are playing better)

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
But the teams who they played who had winning records last season collapsed this year.
The Bengals, Vikings,Texans, Broncos all were winning or .500 teams last year. This year the Bengals and Broncos were 4-12. The Vikings went from 12-4 to 6-10. The Texans from 9-7 to 6-10.
Even with the 14-2 Patriots, the Jets played by far the softest schedule of any team in the playoffs except the Seahawks.
This coming from the fan of a team who played an IDENTICAL schedule outside of 2 games. :D :D :D

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

This coming from the fan of a team who played an IDENTICAL schedule outside of 2 games. :D :D :D
But I kept saying the Pats were NOT the super team everyone was saying. I consistently pointed out their defense was near last in their league and they were rebuilding and had the youngest team in football.
The Jets hyped themselves as super team. And in the end, despite how the schedule favored them, they couldn't finish with a better regular season record the Pats did three years ago when Brady went out and Cassel played the whole season. That year the Pats went 11-5 and didn't make the playoffs. The exact same record the Jets had THIS year.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
they couldn't finish with a better regular season record the Pats did three years ago when Brady went out and Cassel played the whole season.
I'd put Cassel and Sanchez on equal footing. Neither impresses me.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I look forward to another year of Rex kissing Bill's feet.
fixed.

Oh, btw. The Jets are in serious trouble with all their free agents, lack of draft picks and overpaid stars.
The window is closing on the Jets.