Question At what point is your old CPU garbage?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I was just throwing out an old Antec case / guts - I even left an ASUS B350 mobo in it.
I pulled out the Ryzen 1700, the 250GB SSD and the 16GB of DDR4 ram.

I have no idea why I kept those parts - the Ryzen 1700 is useless, the 250GB SSD is too small / useless and the ram... well... I have two other Ryzen 5x00 mini-itx builds that are already maxed on RAM.

But yet I kept these pieces.
I seem to always keep my old pieces ... they just sit in the garage for about 10 years until they're finally recycled.

What do you do with your old hardware? Do you hold onto it "just in case" ?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Now Yorkfields were Ballerina's, if you give them too much voltage, they would die so fast, you wouldn't even have a chance to say OMG.
I remember mailing back my sponsor a tray of 8 cpu's i killed for him to send back to intel.
Intel really wanted the dead cpu's back. They actually begged there partners to please send the dead ones back, and they would get replaced with fresh ones.

I thought if you OC'd a processor then the warranty is void?

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
I wish I can sell my old stuff on ebay. I always donate or give them to friends/family members. Not long ago I had a 60 GB maxtor drive still kicking it in one of my older machines.