At what age do you stop wearing white socks?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
It's okay... you can transition to the white and grey hybrid socks. Man those are hideous.

I started wearing black socks in grade 11 because a metro (very likely homo) -sexual dude always wore them and I liked the look.

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Should you only wear white socks while working out? after-all their athletic socks!

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
while we're on the subject.. how about those socks that they make that barely reach the top of the ankle, you know the ones that ppl wear and it looks like they're wearing no socks in their shoes because the socks are 'low riders....' I find it funny most people wear those, i can't stand a sock that doesn't come up to at least ankle height...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I just tried to make the transition last night to black socks and I have rashes on both feet lol

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
while we're on the subject.. how about those socks that they make that barely reach the top of the ankle, you know the ones that ppl wear and it looks like they're wearing no socks in their shoes because the socks are 'low riders....' I find it funny most people wear those, i can't stand a sock that doesn't come up to at least ankle height...

Oh my god. I forgot about those. They don't even look good on hot girls, so when I see men with them...

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
I just tried to make the transition last night to black socks and I have rashes on both feet lol

The worst part about black socks... is when they're brand new and you take them off and all the black fuzzies stick to your feet and inbetween the toes... I always have to turn them inside out and wash them after buying and even than sometimes it takes multiple washes before the fuzzy leeches go away..

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Oh my god. I forgot about those. They don't even look good on hot girls, so when I see men with them...

I find it funny that those even caught on... the sock manufactures must be laughing all the way to the bank with being able to produce socks with about an inch less fabric and people buy them!

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

Meh, I usually wear the low cut or ankle socks myself. I only really need the sock to cover my foot, nothing more. I actually find it funnier when I see guys wearing crew or tube socks with shorts. It just looks ridiculous.

May 13, 2009
I find it funny that those even caught on... the sock manufactures must be laughing all the way to the bank with being able to produce socks with about an inch less fabric and people buy them!

They work great in my low top running shoes. Why have more sock to just get sweaty when I'm working out?

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Meh, I usually wear the low cut or ankle socks myself. I only really need the sock to cover my foot, nothing more. I actually find it funnier when I see guys wearing crew or tube socks with shorts. It just looks ridiculous.

tube socks I could understand, no need to wear those with shorts, you might as well just wear pants... and crew socks are more for wearing pants and wanting a little extra length (just like tube socks) but I personally think the perfect sock for shorts are the ankle ones, they don't slouch down like crew socks will as you move and have just enough length above the ankle. I wear ankle socks year around whether wearing pants or shorts and black is the color because they last longer then white socks because the white socks pickup stains from walking on floor etc easier.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I still have some in my drawer and wear them on occasion; typically only on weekends or around the house though.

KT

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Ditto, it does look ridiculous wearing tube socks with shorts in the summer.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
No age really. During the week I wear black dress socks which are pretty long but that's because I'm dressed up. On weekends I wear white crew socks if I want.to be around the house or ride my bike which requires wearing long socks with boots. I don't think it requires at some age to transition to different socks.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Whenever it is that you develop some taste. Gym socks (whether they be white, black, or gray) are for athletic activities.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Never.

Provided you're wearing shoes at the time, who the hell is going to notice athletic socks vs non-athletic socks?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Never.

Provided you're wearing shoes at the time, who the hell is going to notice athletic socks vs non-athletic socks?

For me, it's not a question of someone noticing. I dislike cotton socks(synthetics are out of the question), and I'm not a fan of white.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

This. I favour black ankle socks with padded heel rim thingy. Functional and practically invisible. The long white socks look childish to me, especially "complimented" by short sleeves reaching the elbows.

Last edited: