At what age did you or do you plan on moving out of your parent's house?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
At age 21 when my job moved me out of my hometown.

I've since moved back, but I bought my own house as well. :D

JimmyEatWorld

Platinum Member
Dec 12, 2000
plan on being financially independent by 25
(they'll just pay my car insurance and gas after 22)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

Freedom is a beautiful thing but the "real world" can be harsh especially when you're trying to balance:

Your recently discovered freedom
Attending college
Working to pay for rent, utilities, food, car, & college
Social Life (or lack thereof)

but in the end it's all worth it.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
What about the other way around? My parents live with me.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i went off to college the first time at 18 yrs 4 mths

i briefly moved back home (parents) at 19 yrs 9 mths for 2 months

never lived with my parents since then

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
I was out since 19 but I'll be back home once I graduate. :D It's tough getting a new house from where I come from. :)

Radiohead

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2001
23, still at home kinda. Live in a basement suite that's somewhat partitioned off.

Currently saving up to buy my own place. No renting a place for me.

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
I have no hurry leaving home. Ill stay as long I/my parents like. Im 16 at the moment. Probably going to move before Im 25. At least I hope I am :).

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
19 and live with my parents :)

Don't think i'll survive in the real world at my currant state. *attending college and no real world job exp. bleh.

I'm working on it.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm 21, and my girlfriend is 18. We hope to be moved out on our own by the end of the summer. :)

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i will be leaving home when i go to graduate school, unless i go to graduate school at my current university, in which case who knows. i like living at home though... it's cheap, convenient, and i get to be with my family.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Placer14
Originally posted by: Alphazero
Why the hell would I want to move out? Free food, free laundry service, nice big house with plenty of stuff...

You guys are nuts ;)

I'm going to be joining the army sometime this year. If all goes to plan, I'll do the three-year combat pilot training, and then 9 years of service. Maybe I'll find my own place, or move in with friends a year or two after the flight course. Maybe.

I'm not happy living with my family. I think I'll have a happier life and be more social living outside my family's house. That's mainly why. And besides, getting my own place will only cost be about 200 more a month so it's worth it for now.

$200 a month you're either gonna be renting a shack or gonna be living with 4 other people which is never good.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
When I get married.

I'm 26 and I still live at home on the holidays, when I'm not at school. Although I have my own apartment in NYC.

Placer14

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: abaez
Originally posted by: Placer14
Originally posted by: Alphazero
Why the hell would I want to move out? Free food, free laundry service, nice big house with plenty of stuff...

You guys are nuts ;)

I'm going to be joining the army sometime this year. If all goes to plan, I'll do the three-year combat pilot training, and then 9 years of service. Maybe I'll find my own place, or move in with friends a year or two after the flight course. Maybe.

I'm not happy living with my family. I think I'll have a happier life and be more social living outside my family's house. That's mainly why. And besides, getting my own place will only cost be about 200 more a month so it's worth it for now.

$200 a month you're either gonna be renting a shack or gonna be living with 4 other people which is never good.

How about with 2 other people in a 2 bed/2bath apartment. And my room (shared with another person) is about 240 sq/ft. God I love low income housing.

BTW, it's right off the West Palm Beach Coast. I can see the inlet from my room. (if i get the one i want)