At the mercy of laptop experts: Looking for cheapeast, most portable laptop

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
I've been reading a few threads here using what I can out of the search function, and I'm getting mixed results on what I'm looking for exactly.

I'm practically looking for the cheapeast laptop that would be considered in the "Ultra-Portable" category.

Games are of no matter what-so-ever to me. This is a purely productivity based laptop. You could almost say I'm buying this laptop (or plan to) simply because I do not like the idea of a pocket PC.

So far I've seen a few suggestions for the Dell Lattitude X1 or to Lenovo Thinkpad X41, but I'm open for more suggestions, considering those are pretty expensive still.

I'm willing to go with a 14" inch laptop, but I don't want a 15". I want to keep this laptop as simple, small, and portable as possible. Once again power takes a backseat to size and price.

Any suggestion gains my 1000 thank you's!

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
See if you can get a used single core Thinkpad X series for a good price. Any of the X22 through X41. Much cheaper than the dual core X60 or X60s.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I use an Inspiron 700m. I thought it was a good combination of price and size. It's been replaced with the XPS M1210 which offers better graphics but at a higher price. Find a used 700/710 or go their next size up and get an Inspiron E1405.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Averatec isn't the best brand around, but Circuit City has a 12.1" model on sale this week. $699 after rebates. Processor is a AMD Turion 64 MT-32, so it's better than those cheap Celerons which are always on sale.

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
I say you should go for an IBM Z50. Sure, it's only got a 131mhz MIPS processor and it runs Windows CE, but it gets up to 16 hours of battery life, weighs 2.4 lbs., and goes for 80$ or less on eBay.

Jan 31, 2002
14" is not ultraportable - that begins at 12" and goes down from there.

Look at an older P3-based 12" machine - Dell C400, HP Omnibook 510, and as mentioned if you want to go new, Averatec has some cheap models. They even have a 10.6" Celeron-M model.

- M4H

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Lots of good suggestions guys, keep it up! Thanks so far to all who replied.

I would like to address some comments in this thread specifically though.

See if you can get a used single core Thinkpad X series for a good price. Any of the X22 through X41. Much cheaper than the dual core X60 or X60s.

This was my original assumption and indeed, the Thinkpads are a really good avenue. However, you indeed get what you pay for, since they are considerably expensive. I would put these into the category "I need an highly portable laptop, but money isn't really an issue". Even the older used ones are more expensive then all other suggestions in this thread.

I use an Inspiron 700m. I thought it was a good combination of price and size. It's been replaced with the XPS M1210 which offers better graphics but at a higher price. Find a used 700/710 or go their next size up and get an Inspiron E1405.

These are a good choice, but they lack availability. You can only mostly find them on E-bay, and they usually are overpriced, because people are trying to sell off their 600/610m models. A NEW 700m is a really good choice though, considering price versus performance..

Their size and weight isn't bad either, but I'm not sure about reliablilty. Used Dell laptops are notorious for a lot of reasons, and you're lucky if it's just a battery problem. Ram or Hard drives are likely go right after the battery dies, and without a warranty, a used 700m can be a gamble purchase.

Averatec isn't the best brand around, but Circuit City has a 12.1" model on sale this week. $699 after rebates. Processor is a AMD Turion 64 MT-32, so it's better than those cheap Celerons which are always on sale.

For that particular model, the reviews on it have been pretty much negative due to really, really poor battery life. Somewhere in the range of 1 hour and 34 minutes on normal usage, which is quite abysmal.

Also the Circuit City rebate is in error, because they have 2 rebates that require the original UPC code, and since it is a manufacturer rebate, it's highly unlikely they will both go through unless you really are sticky on the matter before you buy the laptop.

But Averatec is a really good choice if you look at the 2150 model, which is very light, inexpensive, and attractive all around aesthetically. It isn't as powerful as the 700m, but it fits more into the portable category, and score big points on looks and weight. (White plastic shell, Mac look a like)

I say you should go for an IBM Z50. Sure, it's only got a 131mhz MIPS processor and it runs Windows CE, but it gets up to 16 hours of battery life, weighs 2.4 lbs., and goes for 80$ or less on eBay.

This is more or less a kickbox then a serious laptop, no offense. :) The price is of course highly attractive but the technology is just too old to be of any real use in a modern academic or business enviroment. Us Nerds can find a use to it, but the rest of the world won't touch it.

14" is not ultraportable - that begins at 12" and goes down from there.

I agree, I just wanted to point out though that the performance versus price is significantly different from 12 inch to 14 inch. You pay less and get more performance, at the sacrifice of an additional 1-2 lbs. It's not a bad trade-off in the larger scale of things, but I just wanted additional options just in case I said "Screw this".

Thanks a lot guys, keep it coming, and hopefully this thread can help others too.