AT&T Workers Authorize Strike

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
This is just the start of labor negotiations for AT&T, we got legacy S(SBC), and legacy T(AT&T) coming due in April, then I guess Legacy B(Bellsouth) in august. Should be interesting. This economy has a bunch of people looking for jobs, not an ideal time to go out.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
The labor conditions today are becoming similar to what brought about the unions in the first place, you young un's don't understand how unions have helped everyone who works...

I know, for instance, that they are historically responsible for the standardization of the 40 hour work week.

They have done some good, I grant.

This, however, is not the time.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Atreus21
The labor conditions today are becoming similar to what brought about the unions in the first place, you young un's don't understand how unions have helped everyone who works...

I know, for instance, that they are historically responsible for the standardization of the 40 hour work week.

And that is a good thing why?

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
The nurses in the university of CA system voted to go on strike this year, but they do that every year. Apparently they didnt like the 10% raise they were scheduled to get.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
The nurses in the university of CA system voted to go on strike this year, but they do that every year. Apparently they didnt like the 10% raise they were scheduled to get.

lol dumbasses. they should vote to get rid of the unions and get paid market wage.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Man, this is a golden opportunity for AT&T. I'd let the worthless union go on strike, then fire them all. In today's job market, they'll be back whining for their jobs in no time. Then you hire the good ones and keep the lousy ones out. Perfect opportunity.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80

How many hours do you consistently work?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Strk

More than 40. And that's why I get paid the big bucks.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Strk

More than 40. And that's why I get paid the big bucks.

And union workers working 60-70 shouldn't?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The steel workers union is all tenure based so the longer you work the more perks you get, has nothing to do with how well you do your job.
This is a key reason we're in the US and unlikely to ever return to Canada; the nursing union in Canada is the same way. My wife, with her experience in the US, would have been next to newbies fresh out of school simply because she'd not spent time in the union. It's fvcking retarded.