AT&T Wireless users! how long did it take to port your number to another carrier?

kmac1914

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2002
From what i've heard, they've been the worst so far at porting. Check the att forum at howardforums to see some other people's experiences.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
i too have heard horror stories. am dreading when i switch carriers at the end of the month

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
ive heard the same thing. in fact, i believe they are on the verge or are currently facing fine charges from the fcc for badly bungling this whole porting ordeal.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
When number porting officially became possible, 11/24, there were only two carriers with their sh|t together. T-mobile and (surprise) Verizon. Transfering numbers between those two carriers took anywhere from 20 minutes to three days. With AT&T (being the worst) going to other carriers, some people had to wait three weeks. Sucked for them, but T-Mobile was waiving the activation fee because of it. Things are much better than they used to be, though. AT&T seems to have fixed a majority of whatever problem they had. I hardly get any more calls asking how long it's going to take to port from AT&T to T-Mobile.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
I think I'll do AT&T to Sprint when my contract expires. I want the Samsung PDA phone.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I was told yesterday by Verizon that the porting is currently only available within the largest 100 market areas.

Plus they presently can not convert/port a number from one market area to another until May at the earliest.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
I was told yesterday by Verizon that the porting is currently only available within the largest 100 market areas.

Plus they presently can not convert/port a number from one market area to another until May at the earliest.

First one is true; top 100 markets have to be eligible -it's required by the FCC. The second one is a load of bullsh|t, unless they're having some sort of system problem. That is a direct violation of the FCC mandates. Complain about them to the FCC. Verizon sucks balls anyway. There are only a few requirements for number porting:

1) FCC requires that atleast the top 100 major markets be eligible for number porting to and from the same or different markets.
2) Account with current carrier is required to be open or some kind of voluntary suspension.
3) Account must not be past-due, delinquent, whatever you want to call it. Good standing.

Numbers CAN be transfered from market to market, but the phone number's restrictions in it's originating market will carry over to whatever market you're going to. For instance, you can move from NY to LA and take your number with you, but whatever requirements and restrictions the number had in NY will still be valid in LA.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Well, seeing how crappy AT&T service is it's more like finally getting a cell# than a port.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
ffmcobalt:
We(circuit city) are not able to port from market to market. We carry T-Mobile and Verizon. We can only do local numbers...hence "LNP" - Local number Portability.

virtuamike:
haha, port from the company losing the most customers, to the company losing the second most. i'd suggest looking elsewhere....

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

First one is true; top 100 markets have to be eligible -it's required by the FCC. The second one is a load of bullsh|t, unless they're having some sort of system problem. That is a direct violation of the FCC mandates. Complain about them to the FCC. Verizon sucks balls anyway. There are only a few requirements for number porting:

1) FCC requires that atleast the top 100 major markets be eligible for number porting to and from the same or different markets.
2) Account with current carrier is required to be open or some kind of voluntary suspension.
3) Account must not be past-due, delinquent, whatever you want to call it. Good standing.

Numbers CAN be transfered from market to market, but the phone number's restrictions in it's originating market will carry over to whatever market you're going to. For instance, you can move from NY to LA and take your number with you, but whatever requirements and restrictions the number had in NY will still be valid in LA.

Can you provide any type of link to the FCC or Gov that has this mandate.

Sprint currently is unable to provide a acceptable signal (1.5 bars) where I am temp living and also at work.
I am hoping that another carrier can do better. Have appointment with Nextel and Cingular to test their coverage this weekend.
I would like to keep the NV number on this phone.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I gave up, I've spent hours on hold with AT&T, just swapped to T-Mobile a month before contract expires, suppose I'll spend hours on the phone to ensure they terminate my contract when it expires.

AT&T did offer me some extra minutes for 3 months & a $50 price cut on a new phone if I stayed with them.

Wife & daughter played with their new Samsung phones all night last night. The displays are awesome (e715 & e105)