AT&T Wireless and Blackberry Data only plans

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
im looking for a blackberry curve or 8800 to use with data. I'm still under contract for verizon wireless (voice) and do not need to move it, and I don't mind a secondary device since I want a blackbeery for email and maybe to use as a modem for my laptop so I can be online anywhere. i don't want to use verizon blackberries because they are friggin nazis and lock all basic features of their phones. (lock down bluetooth, etc)

i asked a salesperson, and they tell me 44.99 for unlimited data, and i can use it as a modem for no extra charge, I can't seem to find this data only plan on their site, and tethering (i assume that's what they call using it as a modem) will cost 74.99 a month. anyone know what this is about?

i also may switch to ATT for voice once my Verizon contract is up, but if I already have their data plan, do you think I can add a voice plan with ATT and then port my verizon number over? this is so damn complicated.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
It is complicated, and it seems like it's changing all the time. I'm on cingular and I have the unlimited data and I think it's $30 a month, but that does not include the option to use it as a tethering device, which I thought added an extra 15 a month, taking it to that 44.99 price. Hell if I know though.

T-Mobile seems to have the cheapest and best deal with blackberries though. I think their data plan is 20 a month and they have no lockdowns such as using it as a tethering device or anything.

Are you serious that Verizon locks down bluetooth? How can they do that? Your best bet for accurate information is checking out www.pinstack.com

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
for my Razr v3c, verizon locks down OBEX bluetooth profiles, so no sending and receiving objects. it's stupid. they lock it down so you won't get your own songs into the phone, and use their ridiculously expensive and crappy VCast service

my sister just got the new LG slim phone for verizon, it's got a microSD slot, i will test it tomorrow and see if somehow they were able to lock down the card slot (which i doubt) who knows maybe they opened up OBEX on the latest phones. but i've had it with their nazi policies. they have great reception, which is why i am still going to use them for voice.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
i have t-mobile and its 29.99 for unlimited data usage of any kind. though im not sure wtf is up with my modem throughput when connected to a pc because once i upgraded to wm6 and activesync 4.5 it dropped drastically...annoying.