AT&T rant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BunLengthHotDog
Originally posted by: ADDAvenger
I dunno, all I know is that cince Cingular has been bought out by AT&T service has only gone downhill

Sheesh...Cingular wasn't "bought out" by AT&T, its merely a name change. Cingular was a jointly owned operation (60% SBC / 40% Bellsouth...50/50 on decision making). With the AT&T (See SBC) Bellsouth merger they just took the name of AT&T instead of Cingular.

Cingular as a whole has not changed one iota since the name change.

I am afraid they have changed and not for the better. I deal with them everyday and there is a definite change taking place still.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: bwatson283
well, it is technically SBC, but they are operated by ATT.

SBC doesn't exist anymore.

Southwestern Bell bought several baby bells.
Southwestern Bell became SBC
Cingular was co-owned by SBC and Bellsouth.
Cingular bought ATT Wireless.
SBC bought ATT.
SBC bought Bell South.
So SBC owned ATT, Bell South and Cingular.
SBC decided to rename itself AT&T

SBC execs and management are still running the show. Its technically called AT&T but its really SBC/Bell South.

The only problem with this is that SBC dropped its name in favor of AT&T before the BellSouth purchase.

But yes the rest of it is absolutely correct. AT&T doesn't exist anymore. It's simply SBC. My mom's worked there for like thirty years now.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Arkitech
Originally posted by: Arkitech

Technically SBC is the controlling entity here, they are using the ATT name because of its recognition. I know because I work for the company, also I can't in good conscious recommend any of their services. Over the years SBC has become less of a customer oriented company and more of a purely profit driven enterprise. I realize that all companies for the most part are in business to make a profit but there must be a balance between serving the needs of the consumer and making a buck, which in my opinon SBC has failed to do. In Illinois there were so many complaints against the company that goverment tried to launch and investigation into the company's practices, but because SBC has very lobbyist the investigation was basically never completed. Make your own conclusions based on this info.

Well duh, they basically used the "free" market to put Ma Bell back together, with them in charge.. With the exception of the Northeast, and some areas outwest. The baby bells cease to exist and Ma Bell is back.

:confused:

um your point in making that statement is what exactly?

I'm explaining to Mugs that technically SBC still exists

I'm well aware that the new AT&T is really SBC. AT&T is my company's biggest customer, I deal with them all the time. There was nothing inaccurate about what I said. There is no longer a company named "SBC." It is called AT&T. Look at the post I was replying to. He said "well, it is technically SBC, but they are operated by ATT." I was merely trying to point out that that didn't make any sense without going into detail.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
I moved from Colorado to Texas. I ONLY have the option to use AT&T at my apartment complex, which blows! The lines are owned by Verizon but they lease them to ATT, bad idea.

Ordered my phone and DVR on the weekend of move-in and had those installed and working by the mid weeek. So, then i order my 6mb DSL and they said it will take 3 F***** weeks!
They say that they "have to add filters to the line"........3weeks for that........... :|

OMG WTF is wrong with ATT? Yes, it may have taken 3 weeks 10 years ago when DSL was first offered, but now.......WTF

where at in TX? you can't get time warner for internet?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Southwestern Bell bought several baby bells.
Southwestern Bell became SBC
Cingular was co-owned by SBC and Bellsouth.
Cingular bought ATT Wireless.
SBC bought ATT.
SBC bought Bell South.
So SBC owned ATT, Bell South and Cingular.
SBC decided to rename itself AT&T

SBC execs and management are still running the show. Its technically called AT&T but its really SBC/Bell South.

I read that twice and am still confused, but I've got the main idea. That is strange, maybe it has something to do with the 20-odd days of rain we had, though I'm pretty sure we've had problems before that. I'm tired and can't remember exactly, ah well

I made this diagram back when the BLS merger was announced:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/mugs/Rbocsfootball.gif

I realized it looked sort of like a football play diagram, so I added the arrows and whatnot... ignore that. ;)

I pilfered the top part (except ATT Wireless) from Wikipedia, then copied and pasted and added lines to explain it a bit... but it's still a little confusing.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
There might be some bridge taps on your phone line that needs to be taken off first. Verizon usually does this work and is notoriously slow. We deal with ATT DSL ording all the time, and they usually have a 3 day commit on new orders. Verizon on the other hand takes up to 18 days.

heathertre

Jan 29, 2007
I dunno, all I know is that cince Cingular has been bought out by AT&T service has only gone downhill

Tell me about it. Everytime I see an AT&T commercial saying "We're raising the bar", I have to laugh. WTF. I've had more problems with dropped calls and non-connecting calls since the Cingular/AT&T merger than ever. I hated Cingular before, I hate it even more now.

Grrr....durn you Cingular/AT&T! :|

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Don't feel bad I wanted to get Qwest DSL at my new place. Turns out they only offer 256k DSL in that area, and they want as much per month as Verizon is charging me for 1.5mb at my current place. :(
Guess I am going to have to go with Comcast.

bwatson283

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2006
Originally posted by: robphelan
I moved from Colorado to Texas. I ONLY have the option to use AT&T at my apartment complex, which blows! The lines are owned by Verizon but they lease them to ATT, bad idea.

Ordered my phone and DVR on the weekend of move-in and had those installed and working by the mid weeek. So, then i order my 6mb DSL and they said it will take 3 F***** weeks!
They say that they "have to add filters to the line"........3weeks for that........... :|

OMG WTF is wrong with ATT? Yes, it may have taken 3 weeks 10 years ago when DSL was first offered, but now.......WTF

where at in TX? you can't get time warner for internet?

Re-read my post. I made it easier for you! :)

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
An apt complex with only phone, no cable service at all? That's REALLY weird. Where in TX?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
They also threw me the line "Your outside the main office range" But still, that wont make a difference, they are just making excuses.

they told me i couldnt have DSL because I used "the linux"

i feel for the OP. at&t customer service is atrocious

bwatson283

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2006
Originally posted by: xSauronx
They also threw me the line "Your outside the main office range" But still, that wont make a difference, they are just making excuses.

they told me i couldnt have DSL because I used "the linux"

i feel for the OP. at&t customer service is atrocious

create a small 6gig 2000/xp partion, and you can claim you have the supported os