At Microcenter Intel i5 750 and AMD Phen2 955 are both 149.99 and considering total $

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 10, 2007
This is what i know: (correct me if i'm wrong)
1. Because the computer will be 90% gaming, I will have no benefit for extra threads or tripple channel memory.

i don't know about the rest of your post but i'm almost 101% sure trippple is spelled with 3 p's, not 2.
firefox spell check FTW!

there, i corrected you where you were wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2007
Read the review from AT. They turn turbo off as well.

Besides, unless you're overclocking which wasn't mentioned considering the budget motherboards here, why would you care whether turbo is on and making the i5 faster? That's like saying you have a V8 Mustang and need to turn off 4 cylinders to make it fair for the V4 Civic. It doesn't work like that.

the civic doesn't have a V4.
and as far as i know, there isn't a mass produced V4 in any production car today.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Here is pretty mucht he only thing we CAN tell you for certain....if you have X number of dollars for a build...lets say 450....using that extra 50 you save on the AMD system on a more powerful graphics card WILL give you a bigger gaming bang...that is about it...OC's are far from promises...

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
In Oregon Intel has the D1D fab which is already producing 32nm parts, and D1C which is scheduled to start 32nm production at the end of this year. Then two fabs in Arizona: Fab 32 and Fab 11X. Both of them come on line in 2010.

So when do these Core i3s release for retail sale?

I can't wait to see how well they do on the quiet overclocking front with a stock box cooler. I'm guessing they will handily beat Core i5 750 by a wide margin (even more so if a Core i5 750 cooler makes into onto one of these 32nm dual cores).

Maybe the Core i5 661 will get the beefier stock cooler since its GPU uses 14 more watts than the other IGPs. Even if it doesn't it should be easy enough to find someone throwing away a stock cooler from a Intel 45nm quad core.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
@ilkan: I am not sure what IDC or D1C is.. but don't matter. I was just curious because I thought Intel's move to skip 32nm update for quads was a strategic one, rather than a supply issue. Thought you might have some inside information regarding Intel's fab capacity or something. ;)

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I was just curious because I thought Intel's move to skip 32nm update for quads was a strategic one, rather than a supply issue.

Well if this Core i3 is as good as Intel is claiming it will be I would think they would rather sell more of the Core i3 chips. Otherwise they would be just competing more with themselves rather than with AMD.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
@ilkan: I am not sure what IDC or D1C is.. but don't matter. I was just curious because I thought Intel's move to skip 32nm update for quads was a strategic one, rather than a supply issue. Thought you might have some inside information regarding Intel's fab capacity or something. ;)
No, its a supply issue.
D1C is one of their fabs (an oregon fab, IIRC); IDC is IDontCare, a user demigod among users on here. ;)

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
god knows they do need it next year but most reports put it at second half of 2010 at best about 1 year behind intel's 32nm transition. still if they can get PII into 32nm form that probably means you can OC it beyond 4ghz that will put some competition on the table.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=858

I guess AMD cares more about their GPU business because according to that report 32nm GPUs (Redwood) will make it first quarter 2010.

"Also planned are some 32nm graphics cards for the first quarter of 2010, as AMD start using this new manufacturing process with their low-end products, as they often do. The Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood XT), Radeon HD 5650 (Redwood PRO) and Radeon HD 5550 (Cedar XT) are all 32nm budget parts that should run extremely cool and consume very little power."

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
And because IDC had mentioned it before, its not that the additional capacity for D1C will be making only xeon parts (as either plant can make either chip), but the additional capacity will be used to add retail sales of xeon chips and expand clarkdale/arrandale production (we'll probably see an expanded line of value clarkdale/arrandale chips and 32nm atom at this point. The number of atom codenames has confused me, AFAIK the atom SoC chips are TSMC or GF and the not SoC chips are still from Intel's fabs).

Atom won't matter as they'll want that chip to be on the 32nm SoC process, which is seperate, and it will be a year later from the regular 32nm, which makes supply issues moot.

As for TSMC, its not as clear, but this is as far as I can find.

Moorestown:
Lincroft: 45nm Intel SoC process
Langwell: 65nm TSMC process

Medfield:
32nm SoC CPU/IMC/GPU with Intel process fused with 32nm TSMC I/O chip?(like how they do with Lynnfield and the PCI Express controller) Looks pretty likely as they have a roadmap for SoC process well into 22nm, and I'm pretty sure Intel in hell won't give TSMC their 32nm process technology.

Arrandale/Clarkdale is ENOUGH alone to choke the 32nm supply. These processors will sell probably magnitude more than Bloomfield/Lynnfield did. That plus delay/cancellation of their 45nm dual core Nehalem part plus a bit of the economy tangled up in a rope might explain it. ;)

Last edited:

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I like Turbo mode but if Core i5 750 is being overclocked to 4 ghz I'm sure a person would need to turn it off. At this point we would be comparing max overclocked Phenom II and Core i5 clock for clock.

P.S. (anyone) What is the highest OC I can use with Core i5 750 without disabling Turbo mode. At that new OC point how fast could my Turbo mode go for one core?

Overclocking could only widen Intel's lead.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I'd go Intel at ths point and NOT skimp on the motherboard. Cheaping out on the mobo is the quickest way to wind up spending more on the back end.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
To the author of this thread from my search at newegg you are dreaming getting a mobo for $50 bucks...When I typed in AM3 cpu type, DDR3, and Phenom II x4 the cheapest I had for none open box was 79.99.....It was an MSI (not bad)

That being said the chepaest Intel board I saw was $105...

From cpu reviews I seen the i5 is definitely worth the 25 dollar difference at newegg...

I am surprised microcenter beats newegg prices...odd....however show us the board you can get for 50 bucks...

Last edited: