AT Meet - Western NY @ Letchworth State Park

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

I was just at Letchworth again yesterday. Twice yesterday in fact. I went in the morning with an outstanding kayaker who could give me some tips. Drove back home after kayaking down the gorge. Then, picked up my son & drove back to kayak it again with him while my wife took some pictures of us from above. The falls was roaring, about what it is in your first picture in the morning, but by late evening, it had died down quite a bit. I've got a video that I'll upload to youtube in a moment of the middle falls.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
i wanna go white water rafting again... ive done the upper and lower gulley, and the Allegheny... so much fun.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
im in,

now if only one of you lends me monies for a plane ticket from the land of OZ

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: DrPizza
added this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGupj-KfY8k

Hopefully after they get done processing it, it can be watched in a higher quality.
Nice. You mention that the falls had died down yesterday afternoon. Does this happen daily? If so, why?

We've had a crazy amount of rain this summer. Some rivers go up and take a while to go back down. This area drains quite quickly.

You can view the history of the water level for a few weeks - no idea why the site hasn't been updated. It used to be updated about every 4 hours, but something appears to be down somewhere. I have to call now for real-time water levels.
http://americanwhitewater.org/...Gauge2/detail/id/2014/

Water is enjoyably kayakable at 9ft. 9.5 is mild whitewater & fun. It was probably around 10 when I took that picture. In the morning, it was 12.4 when we were putting in. It had gotten to a little over 15 feet the day before; anything above 14 and they won't allow kayakers on the river.

Next task: I'm going to help them clear out some garbage from the gorge. There's a very large propane tank washed up on shore inside the gorge, about 3 miles from the nearest road. And, once to that access road, it's uphill for 1/2 mile with no vehicles. Heavy propane tank. Filled with propane. :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Looks great. Too far for me to drop by though...but what's not to love about a place with "Letch" in the name? :p

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: seemingly random
added this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGupj-KfY8k

Hopefully after they get done processing it, it can be watched in a higher quality.
Nice. You mention that the falls had died down yesterday afternoon. Does this happen daily? If so, why?

We've had a crazy amount of rain this summer. Some rivers go up and take a while to go back down. This area drains quite quickly.

You can view the history of the water level for a few weeks - no idea why the site hasn't been updated. It used to be updated about every 4 hours, but something appears to be down somewhere. I have to call now for real-time water levels.
http://americanwhitewater.org/...Gauge2/detail/id/2014/

Water is enjoyably kayakable at 9ft. 9.5 is mild whitewater & fun. It was probably around 10 when I took that picture. In the morning, it was 12.4 when we were putting in. It had gotten to a little over 15 feet the day before; anything above 14 and they won't allow kayakers on the river.

Next task: I'm going to help them clear out some garbage from the gorge. There's a very large propane tank washed up on shore inside the gorge, about 3 miles from the nearest road. And, once to that access road, it's uphill for 1/2 mile with no vehicles. Heavy propane tank. Filled with propane. :)
I see - just rainfall upstream. I was wondering if there was some kind of setup like niagra.

I hope we don't hear about you on the news. It might be better to slowly drain that tank and then float it out next spring.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
i wanna go white water rafting again... ive done the upper and lower gulley, and the Allegheny... so much fun.

Whens a good time to do that again? Sping I imagine but that's a year a way.