At least slightly shady NVidia experience

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
What happened:

* 1/18/18 - Placed order for GTX1060 6gb FE... estimate is 3wks until shipping
* 1/19 or 1/20 (I can't remember if it was the day after) I noticed the transaction "settled" / charged with a date of 1/18. I thought this was bull since the card did not ship, but I let it slide
* 1/30 (today)
~12pm - I decided I don't need the card anymore (I sold one of my 4K monitors) so I fill out the online form to cancel the order
~345pm I get confirmation of the cancellation request and receive a notification they sent a request for cancellation to the warehouse
~730pm I receive 3 emails all with the same time stamp, which are:
1 - A sorry email that the order cannot be cancelled since item shipped
2 - A return initiation for the card , along with return instructions
3 - An email notification that my card just shipped

Now, is there a chance the card shipped some time today prior to my cancellation request? Sure. At minimum though, it is a shady practice to charge my credit card more than 10 days before the card even ships.

Not sure what I'll do at this point, but I'm not thrilled with my first NVidia-direct experience.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I believe Best Buy charged me months in advance for my Nintendo Switch. The emails indicated some funny business with the release date entered into their system.

Analogue charged in advance for Super Nt preorders. I suspect that's how they financed some of the production cost.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
You could refuse shipment, then UPS/FedEx take it back.
Yeah I've been debating staying home tomorrow to do that... Is there another way outside of telling the delivery guy no thanks? I've not done it before.

EDIT:

Looks like I can still refuse shipment after the fact, I might just have to drop it off at a FedEx location myself which should be fine.

Last edited:

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
How much did you pay for it? If you bought it from Nvidia direct it'd be at MSRP wouldn't it? Wouldn't you be better off just reselling it due to the current situation and making a profit?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
How much did you pay for it? If you bought it from Nvidia direct it'd be at MSRP wouldn't it? Wouldn't you be better off just reselling it due to the current situation and making a profit?
Yeah I may try doing this. I typically wouldn't go through the hassle just for a small profit but if I have to drop it off to ship it I may as well get paid!

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah just take it and resell it for what it's going for on the crazy ridiculous market.