At least $50 free from a paypal lawsuit settlement

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hookem180b

Aug 16, 2003
Can someone with a cached copy of the long or short forms email me a copy of it?

I got several chargebacks two years ago that I complained and complained to them about, and I'd really like to finally have a chance to stick it to them.

suehtemorp

Aug 27, 2002
The way I am interpreting the settlement details and correct me if I am wrong is:

If your account was created within the given time frame and if you have had ANY monetary losses(as a result of any transaction or decision made by paypal) or have been denied access to your account(This could translate into loss revenue or account interest), you are an eligible claimaint. This does not neccessarily guarantee you will get your money back but at least you have a chance. Simply having enrolled during the period does not mean you are an eligible claimaint.

Filing a claim without a valid reason can result in perjury. For those who do not understand what perjury is, think of it as be stuck with the essentially permanent label of 'Liar'. For many of us, this could have life long effects especially if you are thinking of going into public office or ever need to appear in court. For a petty $50, I would not risk something so foolish.

As for which claim should you file? Well, it sounds to me like there are three choices you got. File a short form which will award you a flat $50. This would probably be good for people with losses less than $50. If you have losses greater than $50 and wish to go through the additional work, you can file the long form which you can be awarded amounts greater than $50. The third and final choice you have is to remove yourself from the class altogether and not be in the suit. You are probably asking yourself why... Well, if you have damages possibly in the $100,000's, you may wish to file your own lawsuit against Paypal. By not removing yourself from the class, you will lose the opportunity to pursue a civil suit against paypal in the future, at least for the same reasons as this lawsuit.

If you notice, you have sign the claim form so we are talking legal and binding documentation. I have been fortunate to never had any losses or denied access so for me or anyone else, we should be grateful. If you have not been so fortunate, I highly recommend all of you who have a claim to file your claims as soon as possible before the funds are completely disbursed. For all of you who suffered losses, I wish you all luck on your claims and may you get every single penny you lost.

David

RedPickle

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2002
Originally posted by: RezMN
Originally posted by: Passions
You experienced or reported an unsatisfactory result from a dispute with PayPal involving a chargeback, a refund, a buyer complaint, or PayPal?s Seller Protection Policy, Buyer Complaint Process and/or Buyer Protection Policy.

I never had any problems with paypal, besides gouging 2.9% from me. Does this mean I cant get $50 still?

I guess I feel that is wrong to want to get $50 when you have no legitimate problem. I have a valid complaint as three years ago, myself and about 12 other eBay buyers lost $200-450 when buying Playstation 2's. Personally, I lost $450, and never saw a product. PayPal handled the situation improperly and had problems when the police department was conducting their investigation. They never prosecuted the guy (he blamed it on HIS dealer) and I've never seen a cent since. Just used PayPal's send money and gave away $450 for nothing.

-Jason

Same here, except it was 250 dollars for a palm pilot.

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: SpeedFreak03
Originally posted by: commOdog
hard to believe I've been with paypal since jan 2000.....

Yea Ive been using it since march 2000, and ebay since jan 99, time flies! I got all excited about this until I saw that it said "if you were denied..." cause PayPal has NEVER screwed me :D

Heh, I've been with paypal since 3/00 and eBay since 2/99

And PayPal's paying ME money now since I have my PayPal balance invested in their money market account..

OCedHrt

Oct 4, 2002
Its also not guaranteed $50 if you have these problems. Its a maximum of $50 from the larger portion of the funds estimated at about $5 million. So if more than $10 million people file for the claim and are approved, you'll get less than $50.

Vnayan123

Jun 28, 2004
I think its pretty pathetic a lot of you are trying to get a free fifty bucks. Grow up, get a job and earn your money, don't take money from people that may have an actual legitament claim, because that's all you are doing, the fund is only so big.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I agree w/ you Vnayan. I have a legitimate reason to get in on this law suit however. I was taken by a guy from Hong Kong on a $250 cell phone that I sold him on eBay. He sent the funds via CC funds through paypal and I shipped the phone. Three weeks later I see that the $250 was reversed from my paypal acct suddenly due to fraudulent funds being used. Paypal didn't do a damn thing to assist me. I just printed out the long claim page and I'm sending it today.

commOdog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just sold something for $15 on the forum. The guy paypal'd me the money.
Paypal made 74 cents off of the deal.
It used to be a lot cheaper if my memory serves me correctly.

Lets check this out:

money order at walmart .19 cents
stamp to mail .38 cents
envelope .3 cents.

total = .60 cents

So, just that I'm clear on things:
its somehow still cheaper to go to walmart, buy a money order from a clerk, fill it out, drop it in a mailbox, have the postman pick it up, load it in a truck, sort it, put it on an airplane, unload it, sort it, take it on a truck to a warehouse, sort it, take it by truck to the persons house, stick it in his mailbox, then take it to the bank, sign it, give it to clerk and deposit it

than

it is for a computer to run some sort of software code and move a couple of digits from one place to another.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
When it's all said and done, what you'll end up with is a check for like 32 cents. The only people that come out good on a class action is the lawyers.

istoo

Nov 3, 2002
I would be interested in more problems that people have had with PayPal.
- If you were sent money via PayPal and PayPal later removed the money without your approval
- If you used a credit card to pay through PayPal, did not receive an item and were not able to get a refund through the credit card company or PayPal
- PayPal froze your account - why

agent2099

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2002
My problem was that I tried to file a complaint against a seller and Paypal emailed me back saying that all claims had to be filed within 30 days. The problem was that the seller did not ship in time enough so by the time I got the fraudlent merchandise 30 days had already passed! :| That was like 2 years ago, FINALLY I get some justice.

cartier

Apr 6, 2002
Back in 2000, i had someone send me money through paypal and they suspended my account. they sent me an email saying 'they suspected suspicious activity', although there was nothing shady about it at all. they kept is suspended until i had to snail mail them like, my license, my social security card, a bank statement and a utility bill. then they kept sending me email saying 'oh, we cant clearly read the bank statement, we cant see your pic clearly on your license'. lotsa bs like that. I was pissed.

Then, back in 2003, some dude went and stole a guy's paypal account password, then, this dude went and bid on a ton of auctions, one which was mine. The dude paid me $600 of stolen paypal money, i lost the stuff i was selling in the auction, then, the guy who's paypal account it really belonged to, did a reversal and they took the $600 out of my bank account. It sucked, and paypal was not interested in helping any of the ppl that got ripped off.

Paypal is like, the bastart child of Comcast and TigerDirect.

wluk

Feb 2, 2001
Originally posted by: cartier
Back in 2000, i had someone send me money through paypal and they suspended my account. they sent me an email saying 'they suspected suspicious activity', although there was nothing shady about it at all. they kept is suspended until i had to snail mail them like, my license, my social security card, a bank statement and a utility bill. then they kept sending me email saying 'oh, we cant clearly read the bank statement, we cant see your pic clearly on your license'. lotsa bs like that. I was pissed.

Then, back in 2003, some dude went and stole a guy's paypal account password, then, this dude went and bid on a ton of auctions, one which was mine. The dude paid me $600 of stolen paypal money, i lost the stuff i was selling in the auction, then, the guy who's paypal account it really belonged to, did a reversal and they took the $600 out of my bank account. It sucked, and paypal was not interested in helping any of the ppl that got ripped off.

Paypal is like, the bastart child of Comcast and TigerDirect.

I feel your pain. I went through all these yet I still have to use PayPal every single day.

ECartman

Nov 16, 2002
how bout the CYBERWINGS fiasco? I complained to Paypal about that and never got any money back. That qualifes for the "up to $50"

Anyone else in that boat?

Chello02

Mar 9, 2004
i got the same email... it hasent effected me but i'm goign to see if i cant milk it for 50 bucks none the less....

Iilac

Oct 9, 1999
This is off topic but do any of you know how to go back to a personal account after upgrading to the premier account.

Thanks

FatDragonn

Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Iilac
This is off topic but do any of you know how to go back to a personal account after upgrading to the premier account.

Thanks

yeah, close it and ask your grandma or someone else to open one up for you.

as for the premier/business accounts, there's no going back. once paypal screws you, they own your a$$, or at least a nice percentage of whatever money is coming in. i know it sounds harsh, but it's reality.

think of yourself and paypal in a pimp/hoe relationship. guess who's the pimp??

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: commOdog
I just sold something for $15 on the forum. The guy paypal'd me the money.
Paypal made 74 cents off of the deal.
It used to be a lot cheaper if my memory serves me correctly.

Lets check this out:

money order at walmart .19 cents
stamp to mail .38 cents
envelope .3 cents.

total = .60 cents

So, just that I'm clear on things:
its somehow still cheaper to go to walmart, buy a money order from a clerk, fill it out, drop it in a mailbox, have the postman pick it up, load it in a truck, sort it, put it on an airplane, unload it, sort it, take it on a truck to a warehouse, sort it, take it by truck to the persons house, stick it in his mailbox, then take it to the bank, sign it, give it to clerk and deposit it

than

it is for a computer to run some sort of software code and move a couple of digits from one place to another.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yet in the end, which would you rather do? Paypal is still easier, plus gas money easily doubles that 60 cents. For smaller items, paypal is the way to go. However with higher items, a secure postal MO is a better choice since paypal charges a percentage.

-Steve

Originally posted by: Iilac

Thanks

Call them. Thats all you have to do to downgrade.

-Steve

RezMN

Jun 17, 2004
Does anyone have any updates on this? I sent in my long claim and never got a response yet.

-Jason

foolish501

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
the cutoff date for the claims is the end of the month, we won't get a check until next summer

paulmob

Dec 8, 2003
I was able to easily downgrade my Paypal account online, no call necessary. I upgrade it, then realized that if you can just create your auction terms to state: "Non-credit card funded paypal payments only" or something, and realized I wouldn't lose out on the 5-7$ or whatever Paypal took depending on the price of the item. Just use their help and search downgrade. Before it used to be you could only downgrade your account one time, (can't just upgrade and downgrade over and over again). The only drawback to the personal account is that it has a $1,000 receiving limit per month, so you may have to use MO only on those big ticket items.

Thats my $.02