At Least 23 Killed in Tel Aviv Homicide Bombings

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mallow
The History of this Situation:

After world war II the UN wanted to give the displaced Jew's of Europe a home. So the UN decided to make the nation of Israel in a place called Palestine. The UN basically told all of the Palestinians to leave and make room for the Jew's and the new nation of Israel. Thus the root of the anger with the Palestinians and why they want the Jew's off of "their" land b/c basically the UN stole the land from them and gave it to the Jew's.

All of this turmoil and bloodshed is a result of the moronic UN meddling in affairs they know nothing about. It could also be said that all of the terrorist threats on the US, including 9/11, are a result of the UN's decision to make the nation of Israel. All of the Arab countries hate the US, but especially b/c we are the main backer of Israel. I'll be the first to admit what happened to the Jew's was the worst attrocity in recent human history but displacing another peoples to give them a home? Not the right solution. I also think the way the Palestinians target civilians is pathetic. However, I am not on the side of the Israelis but don't condon what the Palestinians do. But I understand where they are coming from and they really have no ways of getting their land back.

In summary: It's an impossible situation with no real solution. The bloodshed will continue forever, I fear.

Mallow, you are completely wrong. You show that you have no knowledge of the history of the region at all. It's no wonder the conclusions you draw are also incorrect. Please do a little research on the region.

Start with the Balfour Declaration and see what year it was published. Continue on through the 1920 Jerusalem riots. Though in the White Paper and yes you are correct understand what happend in WWII. Read a little about the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem during WWII. And as Dari indicated earlier though in the fact that the Ottoman empire backed the wrong side and lost. Spend a little while researching the history of the country of Palestine(good luck) and then read up on Black September. When you have done that please come back and tell us if any of your conclusions have changed.

Even the terrorist Arafat has told bin Laden he doesn't want him to use the Palestinians as an excuse for his terrorism.

edit/ I will agree that as long as the other Arab countries continue to use the Palestinians as pawns in their fight against the Jews that there will be no solution to the problem.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Homocide bombing != Suicide Bombing

A homocide bombing is a bombing to kill people. Suicide bombing is differentiated because bombers don't normally desire to blow themselves up. I don't care what Fox News says.

Vernor

Sep 9, 2001
Originally posted by: BDawg

A homocide bombing is a bombing to kill people. Suicide bombing is differentiated because bombers don't normally desire to blow themselves up. I don't care what Fox News says.

Why didn't the media call Columbine a "suicide shooting" ?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Vernor
Originally posted by: BDawg

It was...but maybe because the intent wasn't for the boys to kill themselves too?

Suicide bombers killing themselves in the process is integral in their planning.

tbates757

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2002
How anybody can defend the Islamic Jihad or Palestinian "freedom fighters" is beyond me. Does intent not count anymore? Israel tries as hard as they can to minimize civilian casualties, whereas the Palestinians goal is to maximize civilian casualties, and they even admit they target children and women on purpose. As long as Yasser "Hitler in a Headscarf" Arafat is the head of Palestine there is zero chance for peace. I would like to meet with some people on this forum in a dark alley...

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001

<OPINION type="Wannabe English Major">

Because that sounds stupid. "Shooting" by itself is a sufficiently descriptive word, regardless of whether or not the shooter kills his/herself in the process. If The shotter shoots ONLY him/serself, the word "Suicide" is adequite.

The term "Homicide Bombing" would describe a 'leave a briefcase under a bench' type bombing, where the bomber will nto be harmed by it, but again, this sounds stupid, so "Bombing" is used by itself. The only reason that the Fox News channel has decided to replace "Suicide Bombing" with "Homicide Bombing" is because it sounds more inflammitory (sp?).

</OPINION>

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think its time I stoop as low as many here and start my own propaganda on Anandtech since so few here read anything about what Israel is doing. Some will hate me, some will find it anoying but I'll do this for a while.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
guess you havent been following what the Israelis have been doing for the past few weeks
rolleye.gif

(just to keep with the general purpose of this thread)

What? Retaliating?

I'd rather strike a Palestinian military target after a bombing than sit around with my thumb up my butt and let them walk all over me. They're not doing enough, IMHO.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Grasshopper27
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
They're freedom fighters against the illegal cowboy imperialist Israeli aggression..
rolleye.gif
Freedom fighters do not kill civilians.

If they stuck only to military targets, then I would be perfectly willing to call them freedom fighters.[

Terrorists kill civilians, evil doers kill civilians, murderers kill civilians...

What are the 23 people who died? Civilians...

Grasshopper

Thought your government was about to drop bombs on Iraqi babies? Anyway, Israel has a pretty long history of murdering civilians:

The accused

Nailing Sharon

Zionist Massacres

to Understand Palestinian Rage

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: tbates757
How anybody can defend the Islamic Jihad or Palestinian "freedom fighters" is beyond me. Does intent not count anymore? Israel tries as hard as they can to minimize civilian casualties, whereas the Palestinians goal is to maximize civilian casualties, and they even admit they target children and women on purpose. As long as Yasser "Hitler in a Headscarf" Arafat is the head of Palestine there is zero chance for peace. I would like to meet with some people on this forum in a dark alley...

Bullshit. The Israelis lob rockets into Palestinian neigbourhoods, you call that "minimizing civilian casualties"? The death toll is many times higher on the Palestianian side.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari
When Palestinians are slaughtered by the Israeli war machine (on a daily basis), not a peep from anyone here, except Czar. Then he's labelled an apologist or sympathizer. But when the chicken comes home to roost, all Palestinians are labelled terrorists. You guys make me sick. Both leaders are despicable un-intelligent selfish pricks that aren't interested in peace at all. What both sides need are realists.

The problem with the word terrorist is that anyone can use it on their enemy. Hell, even the imperialist British had the balls to call the Africans fighting for their homeland ON THEIR SOIL terrorists. The Palestinian don't have AR-15s, Merkava tanks, or F-16s. If they did, their destruction of Israeli civilians would be more 'acceptable' to people in the West. But all they have are their beliefs, nails, rat poison, and explosives. A guidance missile like that is not as 'acceptable' as the aforementioned weapons, but it does the job.

They are fighters. While their methodology is not acceptable in the West, it has garner the respect of military analysts around the globe. Desperate times call for desperate actions.

Well said.

Passner

Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: hagbard
They're freedom fighters against the illegal cowboy imperialist Israeli aggression..
rolleye.gif

If they stuck only to military targets, then I would be perfectly willing to call them freedom fighters.[

Terrorists kill civilians, evil doers kill civilians, murderers kill civilians...

Grasshopper

Thought your government was about to drop bombs on Iraqi babies? Anyway, Israel has a pretty long history of murdering civilians:

The accused

Nailing Sharon

Zionist Massacres

anti-semite citing biased anti-semitic sites.

Passner

Oct 7, 2001

Bullshit. The Israelis lob rockets into Palestinian neigbourhoods, you call that "minimizing civilian casualties"? The death toll is many times higher on the Palestianian side.

Of course, a single rocket used to kill a TERRORIST MASTERMIND becomes multiple rockets in the mind of the bigot. And of course citing unweighted facts regarding the death toll may help you sway the ignorant, but the intellegent have the data on their side that shows that a many more civilians have died on the Israeli side.

Passner

Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
When Palestinians are slaughtered by the Israeli war machine (on a daily basis), not a peep from anyone here, except Czar. Then he's labelled an apologist or sympathizer. But when the chicken comes home to roost, all Palestinians are labelled terrorists. You guys make me sick. Both leaders are despicable un-intelligent selfish pricks that aren't interested in peace at all. What both sides need are realists.

The problem with the word terrorist is that anyone can use it on their enemy. Hell, even the imperialist British had the balls to call the Africans fighting for their homeland ON THEIR SOIL terrorists. The Palestinian don't have AR-15s, Merkava tanks, or F-16s. If they did, their destruction of Israeli civilians would be more 'acceptable' to people in the West. But all they have are their beliefs, nails, rat poison, and explosives. A guidance missile like that is not as 'acceptable' as the aforementioned weapons, but it does the job.

They are fighters. While their methodology is not acceptable in the West, it has garner the respect of military analysts around the globe. Desperate times call for desperate actions.

Well said.

Your answer there was the equivalent to Dari preaching to the racist "chior."

Amen, brotha!

rolleye.gif

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Passner

The accused

Nailing Sharon

Zionist Massacres

There's no such thing as an unbiased account. You either have pro-Israel bias or pro-Palestinian bias. To get an idea of the real picture, you need to read both pro-Israel sites and pro-Palestinian sites, not just the pro-Israel ones. Either that, or go there yourself...

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999

Of course, a single rocket used to kill a TERRORIST MASTERMIND becomes multiple rockets in the mind of the bigot. And of course citing unweighted facts regarding the death toll may help you sway the ignorant, but the intellegent have the data on their side that shows that a many more civilians have died on the Israeli side.

Do you have a source for reliable statstics on that? I have been trying to find some as the results I am getting are all over the map.

I think that the most reliable sources I can find will be MDA and PRCS, so I am going to try and break down/reconcile those results.

nagger

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2001

Vernor

Sep 9, 2001

Heh.

The Israelis could wipe out an entire Palestinian city in 24 hours with artillery and air bombardment, if they wanted to.

Instead they use precision-guided weapons like Hellfire missiles for targeted elimination of terrorists, who- cowards that they are- *always* hide among the civilian population.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
I think its time I stoop as low as many here and start my own propaganda on Anandtech since so few here read anything about what Israel is doing. Some will hate me, some will find it anoying but I'll do this for a while.

Czar, you've been doing that for months already. But I dont care, go ahead and do it. I barely respond in these threads anymore, because so many people dont know WTF they are talking about. You included. And I dont give a sh|t what the BBC says either.

Passner

Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: nagger

Are millions of people being gassed to death ?

Talk about idiotic comparisons.

Vernor,

A couple of revisionist links for your amusement:

Google Search
revisionism 101: there was no gas chamber at Auschwitz
"Nobody was gassed at Auschwitz.": 60 Rightist Lies and How to Counter Them Excerpt
ZUNDELSITE - LEUCHTER REPORT - AUSCHWITZ, KREMA I

One anti revisionists link to even the balance ;)

Auschwitz diaries combat classroom revisionist rhetoric

OMG, we got a freaking denier on our hands. I am sure that does LOADS to your credibility, as if you had any prior.

Passner

Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: justint

Do you have a source for reliable statstics on that? I have been trying to find some as the results I am getting are all over the map.

I think that the most reliable sources I can find will be MDA and PRCS, so I am going to try and break down/reconcile those results.

I don't know where the weblinks to it are, but I found the data in the latest CAMERA on Campus, along with how the study was done. :)

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
rolleye.gif

Grasshopper

The accused

Nailing Sharon

Zionist Massacres

Anything criticial of Israel = anti-semitic.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000

Get you head out of your ass, the death toll is far greater on the Palestinian side, and always has been.

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000

Heh.

The Israelis could wipe out an entire Palestinian city in 24 hours with artillery and air bombardment, if they wanted to.

They could. And what do you think the result of that would be?

Instead they use precision-guided weapons like Hellfire missiles for targeted elimination of terrorists, who- cowards that they are- *always* hide among the civilian population.

Lets see, suicide bombers or those who lob rockets at a safe distance? Which are the "cowards" again?