At least 22 dead after tornadoes in Alabama

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Am wondering if Donald will blame this on the residents for being too poor for tornado walls, or find some way to attack the Democrats over the increase of tornados in white people territory.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Seriously, thoughts and prayers for AL. No joke, sorry for your losses.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
We were under tornado warnings for several hours last night(Tallahassee, FL) and at times the news said there was at least one tornado on the ground near us. Fortunately we were spared. One hit 30 mi north of us, one 25 w of us, and some in the Apalachicola National Forest 25 mi SW of us. Scary evening but I have not heard of any fatalities from those. I've lived through 1 tornado that hit the building I was in and I don't care to experience that again.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
We were under tornado warnings for several hours last night(Tallahassee, FL) and at times the news said there was at least one tornado on the ground near us. Fortunately we were spared. One hit 30 mi north of us, one 25 w of us, and some in the Apalachicola National Forest 25 mi SW of us. Scary evening but I have not heard of any fatalities from those. I've lived through 1 tornado that hit the building I was in and I don't care to experience that again.

I have family I haven't yet heard from across the Georgia line just north of Chattahoochee. Any maps out showing confirmed touchdown points? I haven't been able to find anything.

Nov 29, 2006
That sucks. Weird to see tornados in the winter. I’m technically in tornado country, but in my 22 years here only 1 small one has even been within 50 miles of K.C. I think.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I have family I haven't yet heard from across the Georgia line just north of Chattahoochee. Any maps out showing confirmed touchdown points? I haven't been able to find anything.

Have not seen a map. Hope all is well with your family.

Dec 10, 2005

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
For what its worth, I finally got through to my folks and they're alright. Services are having issues as expected, but they were already intermittent ever since the Hurricane. Nasty storm for this time of year :(

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

Is it true that it absolutely sounds like a freight train is running right on top of you?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
That sucks. Weird to see tornados in the winter. I’m technically in tornado country, but in my 22 years here only 1 small one has even been within 50 miles of K.C. I think.

It is not "winter" down here. Lots of warm weather in the South this year. No snow this season.

Anyways, tornadoes need the clash between warm and cold air. As spring progresses the warm air pushes further north, and so does the strike zone for tornadoes. Eventually reaching the Canadian border by June. So, this early in the year, it makes perfect sense that the outbreak struck as far South as it did.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Is it true that it absolutely sounds like a freight train is running right on top of you?

Had a tornado touch down just a mile or so from us in 2013. They say it sounds like a train engine bearing down upon you and they're correct.

Jan 25, 2011
Had a tornado touch down just a mile or so from us in 2013. They say it sounds like a train engine bearing down upon you and they're correct.
When I was a kid an F2-F3 tornado went trough our neighbourhood in London, Ontario. We had no idea it was coming and I’m standing in the front door looking outside when everything just went white and sideways. There was a several hundred pound planter box full of soil on our porch that just suddenly went sideways at full speed and shot off the porch. No gradual movement just 0 to holy shit instantly. It went right back to normal just as fast. Never forget the sound of it and that was 35 years ago.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
When I was a kid an F2-F3 tornado went trough our neighbourhood in London, Ontario. We had no idea it was coming and I’m standing in the front door looking outside when everything just went white and sideways. There was a several hundred pound planter box full of soil on our porch that just suddenly went sideways at full speed and shot off the porch. No gradual movement just 0 to holy shit instantly. It went right back to normal just as fast. Never forget the sound of it and that was 35 years ago.

Whoa. Had no idea you were also originally from London. My family experienced both London tornadoes...I vaguely remember the 1984 one but I was just a kid. I remember the sky getting very dark earlier than usual, really bad thunderstorms that we thought were over, and then my dad suddenly took us all down to the basement. The next day I remember noticing shingles blown off the roof and tree limbs on the side of the road. I only figured out years later that THAT was the night of the tornado! Never saw the funnel or anything like that.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Wow those were some brutal storms. There was a ton of energy in the atmosphere ready to be released in one cold front.

I know it's the bible belt but reading these articles and seeing these people thank god for surviving since they prayed hard during the storm is so cringey... I guess those kids and 20 others that died didn't pray hard enough.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Wow those were some brutal storms. There was a ton of energy in the atmosphere ready to be released in one cold front.

I know it's the bible belt but reading these articles and seeing these people thank god for surviving since they prayed hard during the storm is so cringey... I guess those kids and 20 others that died didn't pray hard enough.

Their god is punishing them because of gay marriage or some shit like that, how this makes sense I have no idea. Or it could be the climate change that they don't believe in.

Jan 25, 2011
Whoa. Had no idea you were also originally from London. My family experienced both London tornadoes...I vaguely remember the 1984 one but I was just a kid. I remember the sky getting very dark earlier than usual, really bad thunderstorms that we thought were over, and then my dad suddenly took us all down to the basement. The next day I remember noticing shingles blown off the roof and tree limbs on the side of the road. I only figured out years later that THAT was the night of the tornado! Never saw the funnel or anything like that.
Yup that was the 1984 tornado I was taking about. I was ten when it happened and I kind of laugh now thinking about how stupid I was just standing at the front door watching as it was in the middle of our street. Got lucky that day!

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Yup that was the 1984 tornado I was taking about. I was ten when it happened and I kind of laugh now thinking about how stupid I was just standing at the front door watching as it was in the middle of our street. Got lucky that day!

That had to be an awe-inspiring experience.