At least 11 people shot dead, including 11-year-old boy, since Tuesday in Chicago

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
chicago_crime_rate.jpg

#Whoselifematters?

Do you really think though that the reason there is so much black crime is BECAUSE they are black? When crime is looked at and controlled for poverty, its generally found to be racially invariable.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
There is nothing bigoted about the truth.

"The Big White Ghetto" does not seem to have the problems with violence and they are poorer than those in Chicago.

From the big white ghetto, sounds more like an onion article, parents purposely keeping their children stupid, or maybe a case of LICBD

"Liberal Induced Conservative Brain Disorder":colbert:

"The draw," the monthly welfare checks that supplement dependents' earnings in the black-market Pepsi economy, is poison. It's a potent enough poison to catch the attention even of such people as those who write for The New York Times.

Nicholas Kristof, visiting nearby Jackson, Ky., last year, was shocked by parents who were taking their children out of literacy classes because the possibility of improved academic performance would threaten $700-a-month Social Security disability benefits, which increasingly are paid out for nebulous afflictions such as loosely defined learning disorders.

"This is painful for a liberal to admit," Kristof wrote, "but conservatives have a point when they suggest that America's safety net can sometimes entangle people in a soul-crushing dependency."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Black Lives Matter is on the scene!

Oh wait, no they're not. They're a racist organization whose only goal is to hate whitey and The Man, so they don't give a shit about these Black Lives.

But hey, focus all your effort on the 3% of the black people murdered each year by cop and ignore the 97% of murdered by fellow black people. That's just good sense.

It's really funny how desperate you guys are to paint the 'Black Lives Matter' movement as racist. This playbook is so old and tired where people think that those protesting racism are somehow the real racists. (they did the same thing to MLK, btw).

Your statement about what murders their movement should focus on is simultaneously insanely condescending and illogical. I know you've complained about shitty actions by police in the past. Why were you focusing on the <1% of crimes caused by police and not the 99% caused by regular civilians!? It must be because your only goal is to hate The Man.

I hope that illustrates how completely silly your objection is.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Do you really think though that the reason there is so much black crime is BECAUSE they are black? When crime is looked at and controlled for poverty, its generally found to be racially invariable.

That crime is an economic problem and not a racial problem is basically indisputable. However some people find extolling the opposite is cathartic to certain views they possess.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
There is nothing bigoted about the truth.

"The Big White Ghetto" does not seem to have the problems with violence and they are poorer than those in Chicago.

I take it those are not highly populated urban centers. I suspect gang formation depends on public schools with high volume of victims to fall prey to the predators.
Coupled with single mothers and fathers who either aren't there or simply don't care.

I suspect you just compared Apples or Oranges.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
That crime is an economic problem and not a racial problem is basically indisputable. However some people find extolling the opposite is cathartic to certain views they possess.

I think you pretty much nailed it....

This thread is in the "I'm not a racist, but" category.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

I take it those are not highly populated urban centers. I suspect gang formation depends on public schools with high volume of victims to fall prey to the predators.
Coupled with single mothers and fathers who either aren't there or simply don't care.

I suspect you just compared Apples or Oranges.

Crime is very complex issue, and criminologists have struggled for years to identify the triggers. Economics is certainly a factor as well as social structure. The only thing that we can really say for certain though, is that race is not a factor, since race itself is a completely artificial invention.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

You're correct that it's not a racial issue but the idea that "poverty causes crime" is utter and complete rubbish.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Crime is very complex issue, and criminologists have struggled for years to identify the triggers. Economics is certainly a factor as well as social structure. The only thing that we can really say for certain though, is that race is not a factor, since race itself is a completely artificial invention.

Social structure is indeed important as well but it usually ends up being so largely due to economic drivers. Economics greatly influences society in all kinds of ways.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's really funny how desperate you guys are to paint the 'Black Lives Matter' movement as racist. This playbook is so old and tired where people think that those protesting racism are somehow the real racists. (they did the same thing to MLK, btw).

Your statement about what murders their movement should focus on is simultaneously insanely condescending and illogical. I know you've complained about shitty actions by police in the past. Why were you focusing on the <1% of crimes caused by police and not the 99% caused by regular civilians!? It must be because your only goal is to hate The Man.

I hope that illustrates how completely silly your objection is.

Did you fall out of bed and land on your head this morning?

The police are shit. That is a fact.

However.

Black Lives Matter is focusing solely on a minuscule percentage of the murders of black people.

Black Lives Matter will not solve the vastly higher rate of black murders they believe they can solve because it's inherently focused on race (not the problem) rather than the police (who are the problem).

It's not really that hard to understand if you step out of your Democrat Reality Distortion Field.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

It is an economic problem. So what does BLM do? They protest the only presidential candidate who would do ANYTHING about the economic problem, Bernie Sanders, because he's not genuflecting to their racist movement. BLM is bullshit, a bunch of morons who don't understand the problem, and have no idea what they're doing other than making noise.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It is an economic problem. So what does BLM do? They protest the only presidential candidate who would do ANYTHING about the economic problem, Bernie Sanders, because he's not genuflecting to their racist movement. BLM is bullshit, a bunch of morons who don't understand the problem, and have no idea what they're doing other than making noise.

Is excessive use of force by the police not an issue?
Their focus may be narrow but I'm not sure it invalidates the concerns raised.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is excessive use of force by the police not an issue?
Their focus may be narrow but I'm not sure it invalidates the concerns raised.

Yes, police violence is an issue. However it's a not a race issue, and it's not the largest cause of black murders.

I guess if the goal was to set up an impotent movement in order to protect the rights of gang bangers to point guns at the cops while excluding 87% of the population from the discussion and has no hope of resulting in any change, they've succeeded. Congratulations BLM. *slow clap*

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Did you fall out of bed and land on your head this morning?

The police are shit. That is a fact.

Your own logic clearly states you shouldn't be complaining about the police committing these crimes as they are the source of only a tiny fraction of them. You should be focusing on everyone else.

I realize this is a ridiculous position to hold, but that is in fact my whole point.

However.

Black Lives Matter is focusing solely on a minuscule percentage of the murders of black people.

Black Lives Matter will not solve the vastly higher rate of black murders they believe they can solve because it's inherently focused on race (not the problem) rather than the police (who are the problem).

It's not really that hard to understand if you step out of your Democrat Reality Distortion Field.

They aren't trying to solve the problem of black people being murdered; they are trying to solve the problem of systemic violence by the police against black people, and statistics clearly show that race IS in fact part of the problem there.

Saying that they are wrong to focus on this form of violence because there are other types of violence that is more prevalent is both nonsensical and condescending. They can focus on whatever they want, and their complaint about racism in the police is pretty obviously accurate.

TuSpockShakur

May 28, 2014

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Don't they have very strict guns control law in Chicago?

OH MY GAWD IT MAKES NO SENSE. My head is going to explode from cognitive dissonance. I will therefore stop thinking about it and start shouting for even moar gun control!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, police violence is an issue. However it's a not a race issue, and it's not the largest cause of black murders.

But a racial issue has been created. The quality of the justice a person receives in the US is directly related to the means at their disposal. The system is more or less set up to recycle those people who are unable to escape it&#8230;.poor minorities.