At last some good news - amd

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Yep, it's good news consumers when competition is thriving.

Ideally I'd like ATi and nVidia to have an equal market share so they both have to fight tooth & nail to win customers.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
I've seen ATI grow sales to OEMs before by reducing the cost of their products which also cut their profits. Hopefully...ATI/AMD will make a profit soon.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Budarow
I've seen ATI grow sales to OEMs before by reducing the cost of their products which also cut their profits. Hopefully...ATI/AMD will make a profit soon.

I think they will make a profit and 2008 will be a good year. They won't overtake nVidia but they will put a good amount of pressure on them. I'm not a financial guru or anything but taking a look at AMD stock, its trading at 6.25 a share. I bet by the end of the year it will be trading over 10 a share.

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
I certainly hope that AMD/ATI do well. It has been a while since ATI has been able to offer a high-end single-gpu solution. I really want to have more competition to the 8800GTS's and 9800GTX's or the graphics world.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
I bet by the end of the year it will be trading over 10 a share.

Out of curiosity, how much did you bet?

Not that I'm disagreeing -- in fact, for the first time in 2 quarters the AMD chart doesn't look bad at all. Looks like a nicely formed pennant on the 1 year chart. Next move to the upside could be big -- $10 could come a lot sooner than the end of the year.

Course, a piece of bad news could move them lower, fast.

Definitely looking to be an awesome volatility play with a ~3 month time horizon. Short term it looks like they're flatlining due to lack of interest. Longer term it has all the markings of a big mover.

Not sure I'd treat it as an investment though.