At Halliburton/KBR, Sexual Assault Is Just Part Of The Workplace Experience For Women

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Simply unbelievable. A US mother-of-five can't take a US company/employees to court for sexually assaulting her? Why are we allowing companies like Halliburton/KBR to be placed above the law regarding everything from criminal employee misconduct to bilking untold billions from taxpayers?

Halliburton's employee contracts give their employees a get-out-of-jail-free card, allowing these rapes and assaults to occur without fear of consequences.

Text

Like many viewers, I watched this ABC 20/20 report when it first aired in December with jaws-open, eyes-bugging horror. It told the story of two women workers for Halliburton/KBR who had been sent to Iraq. There, one, Jamie Lee Jones, a young computer tech, was gang-raped on her fourth day by coworkers after being drugged; the other, Tracy Barker, was sexually assaulted by a State Department employee. Both immediately reported their assaults, only to have KBR first lock them in isolation, then question their accusations. In the case of Jones, it even "lost" the medical report that documented evidence of gang rape.

20/20 Clip

Here, then, is the update, posted this week on ABCNews.com. It ain't pretty.

A mother of five who says she was sexually harassed and assaulted while working for Halliburton/KBR in Iraq is headed for a secretive arbitration process rather than being able to present her case in open court.

What it means: instead of having her case heard in court like a normal American citizen, Barker will have it dealt with in behind-the-scenes, private arbitration.

Then read what the judge actually said.

District Judge Gray Miller, however, wrote in his order that "whether it is wise to send this type of claim to arbitration is not a question for this court to decide."

"Sadly," wrote Judge Miller, "sexual harassment, up to and including sexual assault, is a reality in today's workplace."

Whatwhatwhat? Sexual assault is just something women have to put up with in today's workplace? What?

Here was Halliburton's genius (the company formerly run by Dick Cheney has since divested itself of KBR): it made all employees sign an employment contract requiring them to settle all such matters in arbitration instead of court. In arbitration, there is no public record or transcript of the proceedings, meaning that Tracy's claims will not be heard before a judge and jury. What are the chances of justice?

Then the kicker:

Halliburton and KBR had also sought to have Barker pay for their costs of defending their right to arbitrate. That request was denied.

Excuse me while I go throw up.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
She signed a contract agreeing to settle 'all such matters' (ambiguous to the core) arbitration?

I would also like to see the parts in between the quotes from the judge. I have a feeling there was more to it than "sexual harassment, up to and including sexual assault, is a reality in today's workplace." However, I really don't feel like looking for it. :p

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Let's see. How would you feel if, for instance, KBR decided they were going to violate their end of her employment contract and not pay her? Would you find that to be her fault?

Also, it's good to see that you've believed every single word she said without any evidence.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
Let's see. How would you feel if, for instance, KBR decided they were going to violate their end of her employment contract and not pay her? Would you find that to be her fault?

Also, it's good to see that you've believed every single word she said without any evidence.

LMAO, what eveidence? KBR lost it? How convienent for them.

In the case of Jones, it even "lost" the medical report that documented evidence of gang rape.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Sad.
rose.gif

I'd never take a job with KBR.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

I'd feel fine about it. Assuming she already worked those hours, she could take them to court and get her money. We have processes for such things. In the same way that we should have processes for rape/sexual assault, which should be a criminal matter and handled in a court of law.

As far as sexual harrassment, I don't have a problem with that being handled by arbitration, as long as the arbitrator can be proven to be fair and independent.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

In the case of Jones, it even "lost" the medical report that documented evidence of gang rape.

Allegedly.

Good to see us Americans still believe in "innocent until proven guilty", eh?

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006

Allegedly.

I'm sure this woman is going through all this media attention to try to smear Halliburton.

:roll:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
It should be unconstitutional for any company to ask you to sign away your rights.
The next step will be corporations making you sign away your freedom if you break your contract with them.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: child of wonder

Allegedly.

I'm sure this woman is going through all this media attention to try to smear Halliburton.

:roll:

ASSumption. Perhaps she's doing it for cash. Who knows?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: techs
It should be unconstitutional for any company to ask you to sign away your rights.
The next step will be corporations making you sign away your freedom if you break your contract with them.

I agree 100%. First let's take care of these Home Owners Associations and apartment complexes that put "no guns" in their leases\agreements.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
She has FIVE children? That whore probably wanted it.

BAM! You wanted it! One week off.
Hayabusa Rider AnandTech Senior Moderator

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Nebor

How many kids do you have? If it's between 0 and 100, I'll assume you wanted it too, next time you get raped on the job.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002

Are you mentally ill? Seriously. If you haven't seen a doctor lately, perhaps you should seek one's advice.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

Ridiculously ignorant statement.
Nebor has been flame-baiting since day one. I wish the ignore lists on these forums worked for individual posts as well as threads.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I actually think Nebor was being sarcastic, and it just backfired...

oh well... it's only a week.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 1prophet
Can you sign your rights away?

x 2.

How is it possible, despite what someone signs, for basic law of the land type rights to be taken away?

This isn't some foreign combatant that's being held at Gitmo, this is a US citizen on US soil....how is it possible she cannot take them to court in the proper manner? What would be their defense? : Don't ask us if it's true or not, just look at this piece of paper she signed taking her rights away in our benefit.

Even national security concerns aren't at stake here...

??? WTF ???

Chuck

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Allegedly.

Sorry, but KBR's reputation preceeds it. I think they are like the little boy who has cried wolf one time too many.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Allegedly.

Sorry, but KBR's reputation preceeds it. I think they are like the little boy who has cried wolf one time too many.
ahhhh, so reputation determines guilt? gotcha.

:confused:

Isn't "reputation" just another word for prejudice? oh ya...

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

Allegedly.

Using that logic, a prostitute couldn't be raped, right? After all, they have a reputation for having sex.

Good to see you've already made up your mind without seeing facts in the case.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

Allegedly.

Wait, I thought you were against following the American legal process. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that the only way you can prove someone guilty of a crime is in a court of law. I know I would love for this to be in court and for KBR to state in front of a jury and under oath, what was in the rape kit and how it got misplaced.

What is your version of how the legal process should work?

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: yowolabi

Allegedly.

Wait, I thought you were against following the American legal process. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that the only way you can prove someone guilty of a crime is in a court of law. I know I would love for this to be in court and for KBR to state in front of a jury and under oath, what was in the rape kit and how it got misplaced.

Obviously, you have me confused with someone else. Do you deny that all of these accusations are, until proven otherwise, merely allegations? Where have I satated that I believed otherwise?

Do you know, without a shadow of a doubt, that there *was* a rape kit performed?

I'm in favor of equal justice for all plaintiffs and defendants. Just because people have prejudices against individuals or companies doesn't necessarily mean that those individuals or companies are guilty.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: yowolabi

Allegedly.

Obviously, you have me confused with someone else. Do you deny that all of these accusations are, until proven otherwise, merely allegations? Where have I satated that I believed otherwise?

Do you know, without a shadow of a doubt, that there *was* a rape kit performed?

I'm in favor of equal justice for all plaintiffs and defendants. Just because people have prejudices against individuals or companies doesn't necessarily mean that those individuals or companies are guilty.

I don't have you confused. You're the one that thinks that it's okay than an employment contract can safeguard you from facing prosecution for a criminal act.

If there wasn't a rape kit performed, then that would come out pretty clearly in a court of law. Why wouldn't an examination done when an employee complains of rape. KBR is not disputing that she made these claims. On the other hand, if there was a rape kit performed and it was either destroyed or lost, how can we guarantee that somebody answers for that if it doesn't go to trial?

If your main interest was justice, you should be just as keen for a trial as I am. Yes it's only an allegation at this point, and if it's false let that be decided through the standard legal process. You keep ducking that issue. Why shouldn't the process play out in the courts? How does "innocent until proven guilty" have any relevance if there if there can be no trial though which guilt can be decided?