Asus's new 990FX TUF Sabertooth R3.0 AM3+ Motherboard

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
http://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...w_990fx_tuf_sabertooth_r3_0_am3_motherboard/1

ASUS has announced their new 990FX TUF Sabertooth R3.0 AM3+ motherboard, offering support for USB 3.1 and Type-C alongside M.2 support, RGB LEDs and a rigid PCIe

ASUS has announced their new 990FX TUF Sabertooth R3.0 AM3+ motherboard, offering support for USB 3.1 and Type-C alongside M.2 support, RGB LEDs and a rigid PCIe Safeslot.

This new AM3+ motherboard offers a significant upgrade over ASUS' previous AM3+ 990FX motherboards, offering a much-needed refresh containing a modern feature set and using the most up to date motherboard components offering better thermals for the motherboards chokes and offering greater endurance than existing AM3+ motherboards.

This seems really odd to release a new mobo for basically a dead platform.
Maybe Zen is more delayed than we thought, or perhaps Zen will have a AM3+ support?

14115640182l.jpg

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
i have heard of the Asrock 990FX Extreme9 which i have heard is a solid motherboard and maybe my next motherboard

You would really buy a high end AM3+ board? With all the data available on Intel vs AMD performance (and perf/watt, and features, not to mention LGA1151 DDR4 support), I don't quite understand why anyone would do that unless it's just for laughs.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
This seems really odd to release a new mobo for basically a dead platform.
Maybe Zen is more delayed than we thought, or perhaps Zen will have a AM3+ support?

I find it strange myself. Maybe Asus has extra chipsets in the warehouse and they're looking for semi-lucrative ways of getting rid of them. Sadly these boards will probably cost $200 or more apiece. If they were $100 boards - what you should expect to pay for a Sabretooth Rev. 2.0 on eBay - then I might be able to understand them.

eBay Sabretooth + 8320e = not a bad buy. If you can cool that thing, you can shoot for 5 GHz.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
You would really buy a high end AM3+ board? With all the data available on Intel vs AMD performance (and perf/watt, and features, not to mention LGA1151 DDR4 support), I don't quite understand why anyone would do that unless it's just for laughs.

i have always had amd motherboards because not one has ever failed me

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I can't fathom buying a high end AM3+ motherboard right now.

Though I did just upgrade from my ancient PII x4 965 to an 8350, I only spent $100 on the chip and got a discounted MSI Gaming 970 for something like $80 (the 1150 sound chip is quite good).

So $180 total and I can reuse my DDR3 RAM until a year+ from now and I get something else.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
i have always had amd motherboards because not one has ever failed me

You've had Asus, or Gigabyte, or Asrock etc. AMD doesn't make motherboards. To prefer AMD sockets because motherboards manufactured for AMD sockets haven't failed you is silly, it doesn't mean the socket or the chipset is the reason they haven't failed. And it certainly doesn't mean Intel socket/chipset boards are any more likely to fail.