ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB71 13.3-Inch Ultrabook Opinions

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by Chiefcrowe, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - ASUS Zenbook Prime Forum Date
    ASUS Zenbook audio port confusion SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Mar 25, 2017
    Asus Zenbook UX501.. how are those *metal* keys for typing? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jul 3, 2016
    Asus ZENBOOK Prime UX31A-DH71(4GB ram, 256 SSD) vs Sony VAIO pro 13(8GB Ram, 128 SSD) SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 29, 2013
    Asus zenbook prime ux31 a question SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jul 15, 2012
    Asus Zenbook Prime review SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs May 23, 2012

3. fx_rage

fx_rage Senior member

I just got the UX32vd yesterday and am quite pleased.

4. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

I got the ux31a-db51 yesterday. So far it's pretty good. Reports are that there are some QA issues with backlight bleed. Mine has a little around the lower corners, but not so substantial as to bother with returning it.

Unless you're committed to that model, consider a 128GB variant actually sold by amazon since they're offering free $100 gift cards with purchase through the 21st.

5. Chiefcrowe

Thanks guys! Any problems with wifi? i read some people were having issues

6. Sunburn74

Sunburn74 Golden Member

How is the battery life? And the trackpad?

7. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

I think the battery is still calibrating, so not as good as it will be. I've also been using the "high performance" preset, so my experience probably isn't a good judge. So far I've been getting 4-ish hours.

The trackpad is nice. Best I've personally used on a PC. Not as good as apple's, but still nice.

@chiefcrowe: I haven't had any issues with wifi that I can tell. I haven't benchmarked throughput or anything like that though.

I will say that, aside from hidden recovery partitions, the default windows install definitely had some bloat I had to remove. Even after removing the bloatware, there's still something chewing up significant space. ~40GB of ~100GB is being used. That's pretty fat for what should be a bare windows 7 installation. My guess is pre-loaded drivers and apps, like when OEMs used to include the XP i386 folder on their machines.

Might consider wiping the drive and doing a clean install. Though, apparently there's some trickery involved with pre-loading the wifi and USB drivers.

#6 Gooberlx2, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  8. ThatsABigOne

ThatsABigOne Diamond Member

No trickery needed as Windows will install default drivers which are, for the most part, just as good as those overfeatured drivers are. :D

9. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

Want to get a sub 14" laptop also. Was considering:

Lenovo IdeaPad U310
    Dell Vostro V131
    Samsung Series 3 NP350U2A-A01
    Toshiba Portégé R835-P83

Still undecided.

10. Sunburn74

Sunburn74 Golden Member

Can you keep us updated on the battery life? Its pretty much the only thing I'm waiting for in the upcoming anandtech review.

11. neocpp

neocpp Senior member

Hmm, I wonder if my trackpad is just defective or something. I just got a ux31a-db51 a few days ago, and I find the trackpad is far too sensitive to accidental taps and is really jumpy. It actually ranks at the bottom of the list for laptop trackpads I have used, which is pretty disappointing. The multitouch gestures actually work pretty well, but I can't get over the sensitivity/jumpiness. Other than that, I love it; the screen is gorgeous and the keyboard is pretty good for a laptop. I haven't extensively tested out battery life and such yet, but it seems to hold up pretty well.

12. Hulk

Hulk Platinum Member

When will the UX21A be available?

13. Sunburn74

Sunburn74 Golden Member

Play with the sensitivity settings.

14. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

It was working great for me until they updated the drivers from "elan" to "Asus Multitouch" or something like that the other day. I just wiped mine today to do a clean install, remove bloat/recover space, etc.. I'll have to be sure that I don't install those latest drivers.

edit:
    Much improved. Used the latest version Elantech Touchpad Driver from here

#13 Gooberlx2, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  15. neocpp

neocpp Senior member

16. marcplante

marcplante Senior member

Beyond recovery software partitions, Windows 7 also preserves a lot of space to be able to roll back to previous states in the event of catastrophic configuration failures. The number of versions that Windows tracks for rollback can impact the drivespace pretty significantly. If you can spare the drivespace, it is a pretty handy feature to have.

17. kobe8

kobe8 Member

There are 3 models up on Best Buy's website, two of which are available for purchase.

18. Chiefcrowe

This recently arrived, ordered from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...enbook%20Prime

I am very impressed with this laptop! Awesome screen, very fast, super light and looks really great. They put a lot into the design and it shows. I don't think i'd get a laptop without an SSD now. I did not see any Wifi issues that some people were mentioning. Didn't really get to test battery life but i'm sure it's pretty good.

The only issue is that the trackpad wasn't perfect, but it was fine most of the time. I don't really like them anyway and would use a mouse. I would definitely recommend this to others. It is the best PC laptop i've seen.

#17 Chiefcrowe, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  19. Emrys

Emrys Golden Member

We just ordered one from Amazon which arrived tonight. I noticed from the box that it has the SanDisk SSD instead of the AData drive. I've been reading reviews noting the SanDisk performing significantly worse than the AData drive. Is this bad enough to warrant sending it back or is it being blown out of proportion? Would a firmware update fix this kind of issue? Has anybody actually used either and noticed a significant difference in the everyday non-gaming usage?

20. Sunburn74

Sunburn74 Golden Member

You would not notice in everyday non gaming and even gaming useage. I don't have any specific knowledge on the laptop, but what I do know is that when I went from intel x-25m to vertex 3 ssds in my desktop, I noticed no performance difference despite the vertex 2-3x faster than the intel SSD in essentially every benchmark.

I would take it back if its easy for peace of mind, but honestly you would likely never notice the difference.

21. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

I don't think the ultrabook having a different SSD than what you would have preferred is covered under the warranty.

22. Sunburn74

Sunburn74 Golden Member

I believe amazon has a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

23. Sunburn74

Sunburn74 Golden Member

I have to report, its really not so cut and dry. The adata SSDs offer 120gb of space whilst the sandisk ssds offer 128gb of space. The adata however is better performing in benchmarks. Its impossible to tell which SSD you're getting with these drives which is annoying because asus advertises them as the same amount of space when clearly they don't offer the same.

#22 Sunburn74, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  24. kelco

kelco Member

I have the sandisk SSD, as for desktop experience, it is the same as my desktop's corsair forceGT drive. Instant everything except for steam, that takes a second to load. Very pleased with the drive. I dont see myself getting frustrated at data transfer speeds on this ultrabook. All that kind of work will be on my desktop. It is nice to have an ultra portable secure connection to my office for those "oh crap i forgot to do x" moments. But for crunch time, I will be on my big rig.

Love the laptop. Favorite feature so far is the heat exhausts upwards instead of melting my legs or chest depending on where I'm using it. Bonus points for being so light I can lay down and have it resting on me without impacting my breathing. LOL. LOVE IT!:wub:

Forgot to mention the touchpad. It kind of sucked at first. After the recent live update patch, I'm completly spoiled by the smart gesture scrolling.

#23 kelco, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  25. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

ASUS has been releasing quite a few touchpad drivers recently. I see some new beta 1.0.29 drivers. Any thoughts? I'm getting ready to reinstall Windows to get rid of all the junk on this thing and I'm prepping the driver "package".

26. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

I'm still using the last version of the elantech drivers. I just don't like the scrolling movement in the asus smartgesture drivers. Specifically that I can't disable the "inertia" feature. Haven't tried the latest beta though.