ASUS Zenbook audio port confusion

marlinman

Dec 10, 2006
I have a UX305C ultrabook. Its single 3.5mm port has a label that resembles a pair of (mic-less) headphones. The product page is at

https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-UX305CA

and appears to show a label resembling a headset (i.e. a pair of headphones with a mic). The page also claims that the 'book offers

1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack

In neither win10 nor win7 does my *headset's mic show up as a 'recording device' (only the built-in mic shows in both OSes). I have verified that my *headset's in/out works using a ZenFone's SMMI test. If headphone/headset is connected to port, audio is output just fine.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on, and would be grateful for any advice. I find it hard to believe that the port is not dual-function, but am left wondering (given how I started this post) whether that may be the culprit.

*I don't actually have a headset. In case this is relevant, I'm using two pairs of headphones (one pair as a mic) and a widget that combines the two 3-pole jacks into a single 4-pole jack. As I said, this works just fine as a headset with a ZenFone.