Asus Z87-Pro - USB 3.0 issue on startup

Micro_Macintosh

Aug 3, 2015
Hello,

This issue is going on from the moment I build my system, July 2013.
However, I never found a cure, searching ton’s of forums.

If there is any USB device connected (eg. hard drive USB stick), other than keyboard and mouse on startup, everything is well recognized in the BIOS, no problems here.
But as soon as Windows 7 (Ultimate, 64bit) starts, there is a problem and after clicking my account button to logon, either the system hangs on the ‘Welcome’ turning wheel for a while and crashes or the ‘Welcome’ screen never appears, I see a black screen for a few seconds and it crashes.
BSOD; STOP 0x0000004F

The only workaround I have for now is, disconnecting all devices on startup and plug-in again after Windows is booted.
I already searched and found this threads:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1754900/asus-z87-pro-usb-problem.html#16419224
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1919551/z87-pro-usb-ports-detecting.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1769494/asus-z87-pro-unable-install-usb3-driver.html

I tried every sollution in the three threads.

ASUS USB 3.0 boots driver is uninstalled, I updated the USB drivers to the latest version on the ASUS website for my motherboard, but no avail.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87PRO/HelpDesk_Download/
The only thing didn’t do is installing the latest Intel USB 3.0 XHCI drivers since Intel’s Driver Update Utility states that I have the latest drivers.

Everything runs smoothly after startup, but on startup, I may not have connected any USB device, other than keyboard & mouse, otherwise windows crashes after clicking my account button in the ‘welcome’ screen.

I have following specifications:
1.Motherboard: ASUS Z87 Pro
2.Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K,Quad Core
3.RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX KHX16C10B1BK2/16X(XMP) (8GB)
4.Graphic card: ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5
5.OS: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Is anybody having an idea to solve this ?

thanks

Micro_Macintosh

Aug 3, 2015
Tnx Burpo for your help!

I'll try this evening to install Intel's most recent drivers.
Installing Windows 10 is not so straightforward as I have lot's of Windows software installed.

Micro_Macintosh

Aug 3, 2015
@Burpo:

Seems like this works ! I have rebooted several times and it never hangs on the login screen.

I need to wait couple of days before I can say for sure that it's solved.

However, thanks for your help !

Micro_Macintosh

Aug 3, 2015
Hi Burpo,

In the last couple of days, I tested the sollution of the newer Intel drivers.
Although the crashed are less in numbers, it still crashes sometimes.
Let's say 30% of the cases...

I'm totally out of ideas about what I can do to solve this...
Like I said before, installing win 10 is not so straight forward and maybe win10 still has its childhood problems like we say.

Do you know anything else I can try ?

thanks,

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
I have this board as well. Can you tell me what bios version and what drivers you have and I will compare to mine.

Please tell me if you are running the following:

ACPI or UEFI in bios.

Do you have the compatibility module turned on in the bios?

Win 7 runs weird in UEFI mode without the Comatibilty module turned on. I think W8 and W10 are ok however.

Please report back more details because this sound like a stange problem,

Lastly, when you had this problem, did you format and reinstall again back then before you added all your software? I had to 3 times as it crashed coming out of hibernate. I had to update bios, my SSD firmware, and the intel rapid storage drivers.

Micro_Macintosh

Aug 3, 2015
[FONT=&quot]Hi Compman55,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sorry for the late reply…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have to check ACPI and compat. mod. at home, but I already know by head that my BIOS version is 1707 (quite old)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I did not re-installed every software when I experienced the problem the first time, since the problem first appeared when all software was installed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It’s a whole bunch of software 175GB, so I first wanted to try other options.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ve runned almost 2 yrs with turning the system in hybernate instead of turning it off. But I know found out that this is not good for the SSD.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So now I start digging again to sort out the problem forever…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your comments, I’ll return to you this evening !:rolleyes:[/FONT]

Micro_Macintosh

Aug 3, 2015
Hi Compman55,

I've checked and I have an UEFI BIOS (I hope this is the info you need as I don't completely understand what ACPI is)

The Comp.SupportMod. is turned on in BIOS;
1.Boot Device Control: UEFI & Legacy OPROM
2.Boot from network devices: Legacy OPROM first
3.Boot from storage devices: Legacy OPROM first
4.Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion devices: Legacy OPROM first

I hope you have some more idea's on how to proceed.

thanks again !

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
Bios 1707 is too old. There are LOTS of fixes since then. Your problem stinks of a flaw in the BIOS coding from ther manufacture. Your settings appear correct for windows 7.

Make absolutly sure you keep the compatibily module turned on, and you see the words legacy. If you do windows will boot fine.

Try bios 2005 or 2103. I am running 2005 and it is great. No issues.

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
OH......make sure to write down your bios settings. And maybe use a camera to take screenshots. This will help you replicate the settings, in case your new bios changes them to default.

Micro_Macintosh

Aug 3, 2015
Hi Compman,

Thanks for you help !
I did what you said.
I'm now on BIOS 2103.
Left all settings by default, just set the Boot drive correct.

Unfortunately it is still the same.
Just rebooted after saving BIOS and needed to do it 6 times before I got in Win7 !!

I'm beginning to think on a MB failure ? Since I disconected all USB devices exept keyboard...
Before I only had it when USB drives were connected, now it is manifestating also without USB devices !!

Ridiculous !

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
Do you have a spare hard drive. If so, remove your current one and do a fresh install of 7 and see if problem follows. Run memtest to see if ram is bad. Otherwise you may have a bad board.

Micro_Macintosh

Aug 3, 2015
Yes, I have ordered a new SSD (Samsung EVO 850; 232 GB)
I ran memtest 86+ and RAM has passed the test, do it's OK.

I cloned my current SSD System drive (the one with the crash problem)
to the SAMSUNG EVO 850 with the Samsung clone software that came with the drive.

Now I have booted several times (>10) and never experienced one crash !!
Very strange..

How can the model of SSD affect the crashes ??

Do you have an idea ?