Question Asus Z690A Prime vga light on and wont post

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
Hello guys i just bought a recent mobo the Z690A prime from Asus and an i5 12600k and 2x8gb ddr5 ram, i assembled everything but it wont boot from the GTX1080TI founder edition that i have, and VGA light is turned on on the motherboard.

I can boot into the BIOS with the integrated graphics from the CPU, ive updated the bios tried resetting everything, clear CMOS, used only 1 bank of ram but nothing works, the lights on the gpu turns on and the fan is also working and the gpu gets hot but it wont post, ive also tried the second PCIE slot on the mobo and that didnt work too, the gpu works fine cause i tested it again on another build.

Ive read that many had the same problem but nothing works for me, i dont have another gpu right now to test

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Put a speaker on the board and take everything out of the case, put it on cardboard. Ensure all power connectors are securely connected. Use only 1 ram stick and GPU.

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
Put a speaker on the board and take everything out of the case, put it on cardboard. Ensure all power connectors are securely connected. Use only 1 ram stick and GPU.
What do you mean by ''put a speaker on the board''? Should i connect my desktop speakers with the line out jack on the mobo?

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
A lot of boards don't 'beep' because they have no MB speaker now but there are LED codes which can help you trouble shoot the problem.

I've actually added a MB speaker, just like the one shown in the link, to a MB which did not come with one. I find the 'beep' on post helpful for booting into safe mode in particular.
VGA light is on when booting the PC, this means it might have problems with the gpu, but the gpu works so i dont know what it could be, anyway i just bought a used RTX3070 so lets see if that works

livestreaming

Jun 28, 2022
I have an Asus Z690A board that I just put together. The vga light is on and there is no display. I've tried a few different things, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
A little update, i bought an rtx 3070 which works fine on another system but it isnt working on the Z690A Prime, im going to RMA this mobo and perhaps its going to be my last Asus product