Asus Z68 Vpro gen3, sata port damaged samsung F3 HDD!

Buddy

Apr 27, 2000
OK, never thought one would have to research about plugging in a HDD to a sata port......but I've learnt my lesson :whiste:

So, basically, the intel sata3 6G port on the mobo damaged my samsung F3 HDD. Plugged it in, turned it on, pc started to make loud clicking sounds....turned off, took off side case, turrned back on, and it was the HDD ( only had one in there ).

Unplugged it, and plugged it into one of the intel sata2 ports.....turned back on, no clicking, windows loaded up fine, but too bad, because it caused almost 1000 bad sectors! Well done samsung :cool: ( I'm assuming its them at fault for now ).

So, I need to fill up all the sata ports, but before I do, does anyone have this board, with any of the following HDD's on the 2 intel sata3 6G ports:

Samsung F2 1.5TB ( "green" drive )
WD 2TB WD20EARX-00PASB0 FW: 51.0AB51
WD 2TB WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 FW: 51.0AB51

And any other WD 2TB drives with maybe different FW ( I have another, but dont know the FW)

The one that clicked is this:
SAMSUNG HD103SJ FW: 1AJ100E4

Thanks.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Can't see how the Sata3 port could damage your HDD. It's either a firmware issue on the Samsung or you need to be a little more gentle with your HDD's next time :)

Buddy

Apr 27, 2000
Well it did, although I'm not saying its actually the ports fault :)
A little too late to think about the firmware though.....

Just more concerned about my other drives right now, before connecting them.

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
The controller on the drive does all the work, based on data sent through the port ..
Nothing but 0's and 1's ... No way the SATA port damaged your drive ...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
OK, never thought one would have to research about plugging in a HDD to a sata port......but I've learnt my lesson :whiste:

So, basically, the intel sata3 6G port on the mobo damaged my samsung F3 HDD. Plugged it in, turned it on, pc started to make loud clicking sounds....turned off, took off side case, turrned back on, and it was the HDD ( only had one in there ).

Well it did, although I'm not saying its actually the ports fault :)
A little too late to think about the firmware though.....

Funny, in your first post, you said exactly that.....that the port caused the problem. (Hint: read the bolded part above.)

Buddy

Apr 27, 2000
The controller on the drive does all the work, based on data sent through the port ..
Nothing but 0's and 1's ... No way the SATA port damaged your drive ...

bad drive is the culprit, probably head crash on start up or something. Replace it. The port is not at fault.

Like I said, when its plugged into the sata3 port, it clicks like hell, put on the sata2 port, runs like normal.

Funny, in your first post, you said exactly that.....that the port caused the problem. (Hint: read the bolded part above.)

Ofcourse I said that, because its only when plugged into that port that it makes the clicking, doesn't mean its the ports fault, only that plugging it into that port is whats causing the problem. You should have bolded this part
Well done samsung ( I'm assuming its them at fault for now ).
:D

But anyway, if anyone has this exact board and the exact F3/firmware, test it if you like :)

Oh, also: does anyone have this board, with any of the following HDD's on the 2 intel sata3 6G ports:

Samsung F2 1.5TB ( "green" drive )
WD 2TB WD20EARX-00PASB0 FW: 51.0AB51
WD 2TB WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 FW: 51.0AB51

And any other WD 2TB drives with maybe different FW ( I have another, but dont know the FW)

The one that clicked is this:
SAMSUNG HD103SJ FW: 1AJ100E4

:)

Buddy

Apr 27, 2000
http://support.asus.com/Search/KDeta...A07951198D&t=2
And use only STA 6G cable with metal retainers on SATA6 ports whether needed or not I use OKGear from NE $4.99

Thanks, at least you read first :p

Even though its too late, the HDD is already damaged.

But actually after I hooked it up, I checked on the net and already came across someone posting that link to the Samsung firmware, the problem is, the page is gone, because seagate now owns it....

But I didn't know asus had this in their FAQ, thanks. They didn't list any other brands in their answer, does that mean the other HDD's in my post would be OK to connect.

Also, did they make a error in this part of their answer:
If the issue is fixed after installing the patch, please try this workaround.
should that be isn't ?

Also, Im using the sata3 6g cables that came with my board.

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
Your drive may not be borked - the clicking sound is the heads not knowing what to do. When you buy an F3 it all depends on if the inventory is stale, or if you have had it for a while. If your drive was kaput it wouldnt work on SATA 3G either.
Nothing to do with ASUS
First you should try chkdsk from cmd prompt and reboot
Or HDD Regenerator 2011 free trial, from created boot CD. Actually fixes bad sectors!
Heres a guy did it all for you - made a bootable ISO with the patch.
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=42034
You could also google Samsung estool
And any Samsung with a Z in model # is a refurb

Last edited:

Buddy

Apr 27, 2000
yeah, thanks.

After it clicked, twice ( as I had to shutdown and try again to see what the noise was ) I tested the hdd with estool. It has over 1000 bad sectors. It was perfectly fine before I connected it up to the port.

So its RMA time, its Samsung's fault anyway, they just wasted my time when I should have been up and running days ago.

How they could be the only ones to make sata drives that aren't compatible with intel sata6g ports its amazing.

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
yeah, thanks.

After it clicked, twice ( as I had to shutdown and try again to see what the noise was ) I tested the hdd with estool. It has over 1000 bad sectors. It was perfectly fine before I connected it up to the port.

So its RMA time, its Samsung's fault anyway, they just wasted my time when I should have been up and running days ago.

How they could be the only ones to make sata drives that aren't compatible with intel sata6g ports its amazing.

Why do you insist on samsungs drives not being compatible or your data ports killing your drives? You had a flakey drive and the timing was bad.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Why do you insist on samsungs drives not being compatible or your data ports killing your drives? You had a flakey drive and the timing was bad.

This.

Has nothing to do with the Asus's sata port man. It was just your drive's time...

plion

Aug 7, 2005
Theres a firmware update for sata6g compatibility for some of the F3. fiirmware 1aj10001 are not affected so the update will refuse to install

Buddy

Apr 27, 2000

This.

Has nothing to do with the Asus's sata port man. It was just your drive's time...

Huh?

I already said in my very first post, I suspected its Samsung problem.

And it wasn't my drives "time", it clicked only when connected to the sata6g port, and if I connect it right now without the new firmware, it will click and crunch again.

And it is, Samsung have admitted this, why are you trying to say its not a problem? I really don't get it.......

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
Huh?

I already said in my very first post, I suspected its Samsung problem.

And it wasn't my drives "time", it clicked only when connected to the sata6g port, and if I connect it right now without the new firmware, it will click and crunch again.

And it is, Samsung have admitted this, why are you trying to say its not a problem? I really don't get it.......

There is no problem with either product, like we said its just bad timing. Saying data sata 3 ports caused my he heads to crash is like saying a cd in my disc player in my car blew my engine.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You get no speed benefit by using SATA3 port with mechanical HD,infact it is a waste of SATA3 port,I've my Samsung F3 HD in SATA2 port on my Asus V/GEN3,save the SATA3 for SSD drives,infact using M4 SSD in SATA 3 port at the moment.

Buddy

Apr 27, 2000
There is no problem with either product, like we said its just bad timing. Saying data sata 3 ports caused my he heads to crash is like saying a cd in my disc player in my car blew my engine.

Of course there's a problem. I'm actually not sure if you're being serious.

You get no speed benefit by using SATA3 port with mechanical HD,infact it is a waste of SATA3 port,I've my Samsung F3 HD in SATA2 port on my Asus V/GEN3,save the SATA3 for SSD drives,infact using M4 SSD in SATA 3 port at the moment.

I'm not using them for the sata3 performance, I'm using them because all the sata2 ports are used up :)