ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming

DiZzyBonne

Aug 23, 2015
Here are my specs:

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
Intel Core i5-6600k
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR4 3200
eVGA GTS 260 (I need to upgrade, pending)
Corsair TX750 V2 PSU
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

First off, when I built the computer, I had a strange thing show up in the BIOS. Under Boot Priority, even when my SSD wasn't connected, it said Hard Disk. However, it's gone now after I unplugged and replugged the system panel connectors, so I don't know what gives. I'm a little concerned that maybe I have a defective motherboard? Here's a picture.

Another thing, when it gets to the POST, it says it detects two keyboards, 1 mouse, and 1 USB HUB (which is I'm assuming my case.) However, I only have ONE keyboard connected.

Also, when I connect my speakers to the front HD Audio in from my case which I connected to the motherboard, it's louder than the rear.

Finally, if I pull the CMOS battery and put it back in, when the computer boots up, it turns on, then after about 5 seconds, it'll turn off, then turn back on. Is this normal? It only does this when I pull the CMOS battery.

Another thing I just remembered, when I shut down, the computer fans stay on for about 20 seconds or so before fully shutting down. It only does this if I do shut down from Windows 10. If I do it from BIOS, it doesn't.

Last edited:

DiZzyBonne

Aug 23, 2015
In regards to the two keyboards detected, I figured out that it's because I have a Logitech G15. It's detected as two keyboards, and a USB hub.

In regards to the shutdown issue, it's due to Fast Startup being enabled.

My biggest concerns are the Hard Disk detection issue, the audio issue, and the CMOS restart issue. Are any of these normal?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
For the power on and off, I have seen this a lot lately, especially after the power cord was unplugged.

For the hard drive one, might be just a dummy entry as there was nothing connected? if you remove all drives does it happen again?

For the audio, when its plugged into the front, is there a separate volume control for the front?
Meaning as an example, if i have my rear plugged in the volume, put them down to 0, then plug in my usb headset, those would be at 50.

DiZzyBonne

Aug 23, 2015
The Hard Drive entry is gone now, after I reset the system connectors. However, when the issue was there, whether or not I had my SSD drives didn't matter. It always said Hard Drive.