Asus Xonar DX and good 5.1 Speakers set.

rockfella79

Nov 16, 2007
Hi all,
I have asus xonar dx sound card and would like to purchase a once and for all 5.1 speaker set. I don't want to go the AVR way because it is too much investment for me and I have heard music on the Onkyo hts3500 and it sucks!
This is what I have in mind due to its sheer build quality, good reviews and massive sub.

http://www.edifier-international.com/products/edifier-multimedia/s550

My question is about the surround sound quality that I will get because these mother of all 5.1 pc/multimedia speakers has no digital inputs/dolby/dts decoders.

Thanks.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Hi all,
I have asus xonar dx sound card and would like to purchase a once and for all 5.1 speaker set. I don't want to go the AVR way because it is too much investment for me and I have heard music on the Onkyo hts3500 and it sucks!
This is what I have in mind due to its sheer build quality, good reviews and massive sub.

http://www.edifier-international.com/products/edifier-multimedia/s550

My question is about the surround sound quality that I will get because these mother of all 5.1 pc/multimedia speakers has no digital inputs/dolby/dts decoders.

Thanks.
Asus Xonar DX is a nice card. And yes going through AVR hampers sound. I would steer away from 5.1 speaker sets as shown in your link for example as the signals are going through the subwoofer to distribute to all channels. If you want some serious sound quality with superior stereo imaging and soundstage save up money and get:

- 5x Focal CMS 40 speakers - $2125
- 1x Audioengine S8 subwoofer - $350

That will give you raw sound, crisp and crystal clear with articulated bass. Use the 5.1 processing through the card by selecting the correct option in the software.

If that's too much you can go with a 4.1 for a little cheaper. Or just go with 2.1 as they have very good stereo imaging and open sound with full of details and clarity as these are audiophile monitors.

.... and then later on you can see about upgrading the power cords. Come PM me for advice!:)

cheez

Last edited:
Reactions: rockfella79

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
If that is too much, you can go with 2 pairs of Audioengine A2 speakers and an S8 sub which totals up $750. That will also give you good sound quality but it lacks mid range somewhat.... but still better any other speakers in the class. They have good details as well.

For this to happen you'll have to get long speaker wires as the ones that come with the product is only around 2 meters long.

Same for the Focal speakers, you will need to get long single-ended RCA cables and a couple of 3.5mm-to-RCA adapters.

cheez

rockfella79

Nov 16, 2007
Hi,
Thanks for the detailed post. What I want to know is how will a DTS movie sound on these speakers using xonar Dx.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Hi,
Thanks for the detailed post. What I want to know is how will a DTS movie sound on these speakers using xonar Dx.
I haven't tried the 5.1 setup with mine for movies as I rarely watch movies and I'm on 2-channel speakers only... The support for DTS depends on the sound card itself as all the signal processing is coming from that. Speakers are self amplified and has its own dedicated input (RCA or XLR). Whatever signals you feed it will do best job of delivering sound. When you play movies (DVD or blu-ray) I believe the playback software such as PowerDVD should have some support for surround sounds like DTS as I had used one in the past and sounded awesome even with 2.0.

cheez

mindbomb

May 30, 2013
Hi,

the question doesn't really make sense. the software decodes the dts, so by the time it hits the sound card, it is uncompressed, just like any other format. And from the speakers perspective, it is all analog anyway.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Lol at Audioengine S8 for watching movies. Let's spend $2k on speakers and then use a low end $300 sub for movies...

OP you need to decide what is more important, music or movies and then build your system around that.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Lol at Audioengine S8 for watching movies. Let's spend $2k on speakers and then use a low end $300 sub for movies...

OP you need to decide what is more important, music or movies and then build your system around that.
Farm boy, Audioengine S8 suits fine if the speakers aren't putting out high output of power. It's well balanced for the loudness the OP is planning to have. You don't want just big woofer as the bass will overpower and numb the sound. You do know what that means? (let's hope so) ;)

He can't be spending $2k on just two channel speakers (if that is what you meant) as he is wanting 5.1 setup. Even if he adds cheaper surround speakers you are looking at close to 3 grand... Focal CMS 40's are already in the bleeding edge in price.... perhaps a slight overkill for sound quality. But this will give him stellar sound when he listens to music, actually movies too.

cheez

Last edited:

rockfella79

Nov 16, 2007
I've read a lot about analogue from a sound card sound superior. These days some sound cards have better DACs than cheap AVRs. They say digital is pure sound but it doesn't mean it always sounds better than analogue.
I have this:
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/system_components/home_theater/ht-s3500/
and this player:
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_Mini/
Which plays almost all formats and “bit streams” Dolby TrueHD and DTS but downscales DTS HDMA to DTS to the AVR which is sad but still good.
And use this for storage:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=640

Need a decent 5 or 2.1 for my room and fully utilize my sound card without getting into digitals and avrs hence asked. Point is i need something that would sound good in movies and music. The onkyo sounds unacceptable for music. However priority would be movies. Edifier S550 seems to have overall quality in both movies and music.
the question doesn't really make sense. the software decodes the dts, so by the time it hits the sound card, it is uncompressed, just like any other format. And from the speakers perspective, it is all analog anyway.

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
OP, I don't think mindbomb was implying that sound is inferior with the analog per se, he was sorely speaking about sound processing taking place in the software side of it.

Yes those Xonar sound cards sound awesome. I have one just like yours (DX7.1) and beats the more expensive external USB DAC's I have tried that cost $1000~ 2000. Good thing about the this card is that it uses small capacitors (less infested with noise compared to the big and expensive DAC's that use large capacitors) and they are nichicon. :) Since this is internal sound card you will get some more noise from the computer tower. <removed>

Here's a pic of my Xonar DX7.1 and a Miracle Ball...
09u0.jpg

cheez

Last edited by a moderator:

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Farm boy, Audioengine S8 suits fine if the speakers aren't putting out high output of power. It's well balanced for the loudness the OP is planning to have. You don't want just big woofer as the bass will overpower and numb the sound. You do know what that means? (let's hope so) ;)

He can't be spending $2k on just two channel speakers (if that is what you meant) as he is wanting 5.1 setup. Even if he adds cheaper surround speakers you are looking at close to 3 grand... Focal CMS 40's are already in the bleeding edge in price.... perhaps a slight overkill for sound quality. But this will give him stellar sound when he listens to music, actually movies too.

cheez

There is such a thing called "tuning your subwoofer". But you obviously know nothing about that or audio for that matter. Lol at calling your Focals "bleeding edge". There is so much garbage in your posts there's no point to even try and talk some sense. That F3 of 27Hz quoted by Audioengine for that sub is laughable.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
There is such a thing called "tuning your subwoofer". But you obviously know nothing about that or audio for that matter.
Tuning is there, we know. But having a sub still blurs the sound when strictly going for sound quality and details. Best is to rely on bass from the speakers. Most party people and couch potatoes want to watch movies, hence the need for subwoofer, for exaggerated bass, bad for fine SQ.

Lol at calling your Focals "bleeding edge".
You misunderstood what I wrote. Read again... I said "Bleeding edge in price" meaning it's the price that he could barely afford. I don't know exactly what his budget is, or maybe willing to spend more. But I didn't say it's a bleeding edge in sound quality, although they perform almost as good as the real bleeding edge performing speakers for sound quality.

There is so much garbage in your posts there's no point to even try and talk some sense. That F3 of 27Hz quoted by Audioengine for that sub is laughable.
You can't win the argument so now you give me with insults. That's not very bright of you, young man. ;)

Audioengine S8 is good because it has smaller woofer driver and has less power consumption and output which is vital ingredient to get better articulated sound for the bass region. You obviously like loud big bass, this is understandable as you are a young kid and like to play video games and watch movies with your buddies which is fine. But for sound quality you don't want large (expensive or not) subwoofers. For the Focal CMS40's, the Audioengine S8 will suit nicely as the CMS40's are exceptional in mid range clarity and treble extensions.

cheez

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
What is a 'Miracle Ball'?
Miracle ball is a tweak for audio that sucks up noise (RFI/EMI) around the electrical component and convert to heat, as a result it gives you increased dynamic contrast in the music with more details with quieter background. I got this for free as a gift from Patrick. I love it.

OP, if you are going to go 2.1 setup get a pair of Focal CMS50 studio monitors for $1400 and add an 8" sub that puts out 125~ 150w. You don't need too much of bass. Do you like "open" clear mid range and high frequencies? Do you like naked sound or blurred sound? We need to know what your preference is first.

cheez

Last edited:

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
OP please do not listen to the FUD that is being spread by cheez in this thread. Just search for his other posts if you need proof of what I am talking about. I find it strange that mods allow all these non-sense posts.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
OP please do not listen to the FUD that is being spread by cheez in this thread. Just search for his other posts if you need proof of what I am talking about. I find it strange that mods allow all these non-sense posts.
There is nothing FUD about what I was suggesting to the OP. These are good suggestions for better sound. Also just because you disagree or don't like my posts don't turn into FUD in reality, maybe in your head... Maybe it's you that do not know what's really behind audio. You see, the way I see it, I find your posts FUD due to incorrect / ignorant comments I have found in your posts in the past. You think you are so smart, but that's not the case. And maybe he doesn't party as much as you do with loud subwoofers. You've been giving out wrong advice in the last 3 posts in HTPC section already. You are here to derail the thread, nothing but trolling you are making. If you don't have anything constructive / productive to say for the topic don't post anything here on HTPC forum section. You can crawl back to that little box you came from.

And if the OP does check my post history he will likely be amazed of how explorative / productive guy I am with his work in anything he does. In addition to that, I am entertaining. Yes OP, please search my post history. Do it now. Thanks.

cheez

Last edited:

rockfella79

Nov 16, 2007
Thanks Cheez. I am not an audiophile, I wanted some pleasant sounding budget 5.1 speakers so i bought these and have them connected:

http://www.edifier-international.com/products/edifier-multimedia/da5000-pro

Miracle ball is a tweak for audio that sucks up noise (RFI/EMI) around the electrical component and convert to heat, as a result it gives you increased dynamic contrast in the music with more details with quieter background. I got this for free as a gift from Patrick. I love it.

OP, if you are going to go 2.1 setup get a pair of Focal CMS50 studio monitors for $1400 and add an 8" sub that puts out 125~ 150w. You don't need too much of bass. Do you like "open" clear mid range and high frequencies? Do you like naked sound or blurred sound? We need to know what your preference is first.

cheez

Last edited:

metril

Oct 29, 2011
@OP

Please understand that "cheez" has no knowledge about audio. He/She does not understand DSP, waveforms, electronics, etc.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
@OP

Please understand that "cheez" has no knowledge about audio. He/She does not understand DSP, waveforms, electronics, etc.
You want to tell me exactly what you are referring to about my knowledge with audio instead of speaking in a vague terms? This is like a guy is telling cheez he is bad because he doesn't like what he types.:rolleyes:

Cheez

Last edited:

metril

Oct 29, 2011
@OP

What kind of music do you like?

Your music choice should dictate your audio equipment. Balls will not improve your sound. $1000 cables will not improve your sound. Please don't be stupid and listen to the fud.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Here is a pretty amazing 5.1 setup for the price.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

And if you need something to compare it to...this is a direct competitor to the Energy 5.1 Take Classic set (a brand owned by Klipsch)

Monoprice made tweaks to this Speaker setup and according to Cnet sounds better than the Energy Take Classics: http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/monoprice-10565/4505-7868_7-35826981.html

It was also on sale for $228.71 a few weeks ago which adding in Speaker wire, Banana plugs & wall mounts with shipping would be around: $285 depending on your area. So maybe around $305 without the sale price but Monoprice does usually offer coupons too.

So you may be able to get some % off. Like use SURVEY13 to get $5 till the 11th. ;)