Asus X53E laptop/Windows 7 hangs, gets stuck loading/waiting for nothing

Skryblz

Jun 28, 2013
My girlfriends laptop is driving me nuts. I repair and cleanup computers for a living, but I can't seem to figure out what her Asus is doing.

Randomly while she is reading a web page, typing a word document, or the computer is just sitting idle, the mouse will change to a loading symbol (the blue circle w/a white line moving around) and everything currently open will change to "Not Responding" and grey out. It will sit like this for over 5 minutes. The windows can still be minimized and brought back, and the mouse moves normally, but closing them or crtl+alt+del does nothing. However, pressing crtl alt del to bring up task manager seems to fix the problem faster, because when Task Manager finally pops up then the computer goes back to working normally. Almost like FORCING it to process a program makes it catch up with itself :confused:

I have done chkdsk multiple times, malwarebytes/the cleaner/AVG all report no harmful programs, and I just ran Memtest86 overnight, 15 passes with no errors. I'm honestly stumped. There is only two things I could think are the issues. The RAM is not a matching pair, but both are pc3-10600. She had 4gb originally (Hynix), and I had a 2gb (Elipita?) from my laptop leftover after upgrading so I put that in; both Memtest and Windows recognized it as 6gb as expected. The BIOS does not allow me to change voltage timing, I checked already. The other thing, is that she dropped the laptop one time while it was asleep and scuffed the corner pretty bad. However, it was the opposite corner of her hard drive. Chkdsk fixed a couple bad sectors, but none have been found the past 3x I've ran it. I have not ran a manufacturers hard drive test yet, its a Hitatchi 500gb.

Is there any other in-depth hardware test I can run, or does this sound like something with Windows? Could her processor or something else have come loose when it was dropped? All her drivers are up to date, and windows has all updates too. This is UBER important to fix, because in 2 weeks she has to take the Ohio BAR exam and already paid over $250 to register her laptop for it, and if it locks up during the test, even for 5 minutes, it could mean failure and I'd feel horrible for not figuring out wtf is wrong with it!

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
Instead of spending hour after hour trying to pin down the actual cause, simply perform an in-place upgrade installation. This method will entirely re-install the operating system while keeping all of her installed programs, custom settings, and personal data completely intact and ready for use after the in-place upgrade installation is complete.

You will need to reinstall all Windows updates afterward as these are deleted when the OS is reinstalled. There will also be two new temporary backup folders created in C:\ that can be safely deleted to regain disk space.

Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall

Last edited: