Asus vs. Corsair... They Fight it Out

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
IN MY COMPUTER!!!! This is no good...

Alright, I'm running a P4C 3.0ghz, Geforce4 ti4400, Audigy 2, 2 WD HDs in a RAID 0 config, and 2 cd drives. I have a logitech mx700 and an antec 350w PS. I have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe and Corsair TWINX 3200LLPT ram, 1 GB of it.

I'm getting windows lock ups every few minutes, always less than 10 minutes. Nothing in event log, so I go to memory test... and I fail the memtest. It always locks up before completing. I've tried stock memory settings, and then I upped the voltage, and change my timings to both 2 3 3 6 8 and 2 3 2 6 8. The second set got it through one pass of memtest, but it failed on the second pass, test 4. Any ideas from anyone? I'm really stumped... could this be a simple power or heat issue? What settings should I use?

Report this post to a moderator |

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Try backing down to 2.5-4-4-7 or so. Or try letting SPD define the mem timings, then if it still fails then i would RMA the corsair.

And!!! What kinda WD Drives u have in RAID0 kinda curious.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Since Asus is TOTAL CRAP, the board won't run at the SPD settings that it detects... I think I'm stable now at 2 3 2 6.
I have 2 western digital caviar 80 GB 8 mb cache HDs...

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
Set the timings to 2-3-2-6, and set the voltage to 2.75V.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Oh yeah, forgot the mention that the first thing I changed was the voltage... another thing this piece of asus junk detected incorrectly...

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
Oh yeah, forgot the mention that the first thing I changed was the voltage... another thing this piece of asus junk detected incorrectly...

more like user error.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
How is it user error? This board defaulted the voltage to 2.65v.... under Corsair spec.

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
It's the Corsair RAM not being in spec. All DDR SDRAM should conform to the JEDEC standard, which is 2.5 volts.

Voltage is not part of the SPD specification, which is what all boards read from the DIMM. In this case it is Corsair's problem, not ASUS.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I'd say it's more a conflict between the 875P and your memory, not that it makes any difference in your case. Relax those memory timings, and I bet things will get better.

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Try 2-3-3-6-4 with the voltage bump... you can use goldmemory boot disk to test the ram (not wait hours for lockup).

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
I'm using a P4P800 and have experienced very similar problems with both TwinX and XMS 3500, as well as OCZ Gold 3500 EL.

I think the underlying issue is that 865/875 based mainboards are very picky about timings. I can run XMS 3500 stable at 2-3-2-6 without OC'ing and DDR 434 at 2-3-3-7. What I want to do is overclock using 5:4 which should put my RAM at 400 DDR but for some stupid reason it is not stable no matter what timings I use (it is stable with one stick of ram or single channel though).

It just hurts paying such a high premium for RAM and then having to push the timings back.

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: AndyHui
It's the Corsair RAM not being in spec. All DDR SDRAM should conform to the JEDEC standard, which is 2.5 volts.

Voltage is not part of the SPD specification, which is what all boards read from the DIMM. In this case it is Corsair's problem, not ASUS.

How do you know its not Asus problem, darn you! You're always sticking up for Asus. I'm going to have to fly to HK and lay the smack down on you.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Well, the memory subsystem and everything tested fine once I turned off Legacy USB support. Apparently it's a known issue that Legacy USB suport causes crashes.... nice feature, Asus.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Just so you're aware, the difference in actual performance between tight and rather-loose timings is probably on the order of 2%, judging by THUGSROOK's research on this in the past. Backing off the timings also blows the door open for much higher overclocks, from looking at his results (although they're not for the i875P chipset).

Bottom line: I wouldn't freak out if the worst thing that happened is that I had to back the timings down a wee bit and use 2.7 volts. ;)

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
I dont know why people get the ASUS 875 board when it has the Gigabit lan going through the PCI bus instead of the CSA, and that it cant handle some video cards due unless u bend the end of them, due to Capacitors being near the AGP slot.

Why do people get the Asus when there is the Abit IC7-G?

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Compddd
I dont know why people get the ASUS 875 board when it has the Gigabit lan going through the PCI bus instead of the CSA, and that it cant handle some video cards due unless u bend the end of them, due to Capacitors being near the AGP slot.

Since were not cheap, i never saw any capacitors near the AGP slot that would cause conflict with anything. And Gigabit theoretical bandwidth is 125mb/s which is within spec for the PCI bus . And i seriously doubt any home user could max it out with HD reads maxing out around 60mb/s for non-RAID setups.

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Overvolt, you do know the Gigabit thing is LAN, not the hard drive interface. The PCI bus will hamper the Gigabit lan. I dunno, I just like an 875 board that has all the features built in right.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Unless you're actually transferring at gigabit speeds, that shouldn't matter... No one's internet connection has the bandwidth to really make a difference on a 66mhz PCI bus.... At least, that's my thinking.

peter7921

Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Compddd

Well the reason i went with the Asus P4P800 Deluxe is cause i don't like the active cooling on the Abit boards there excessivley loud. I need a quiet board and like the fact that Asus boards have passive cooling. I don't like the P4C though cause of the promise controller(I don't care about the Gigabit LAN not being through CSA like most people i don't need it). I am very excited about the Asus P4C-E 800 Deluxe which fixes all the problems - It uses the CSA Gigabit and the ICHR south bridge allowing Serial ATA RAID through the south bridge.

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Ahhhh, the E version sounds nice. I went with the Intel D875PBZ because I too cant stand fans and the fans on the northbridge heatsinks are indeed annoying, but I didnt want to go with the P4C800 due to the above problems you mentioned. The E version sounds like a winner though!

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is odd. I have the Asus A7N8X Rev. 2.0 mobo and I'm having problems similar to this as well. I get lock ups, slowdowns, and random crashes and restarts. The kicker is - I have Corsair memory too!! I have XMS PC3200. Maybe there is a conflict between ASUS boards and Corsair memory that we could get Anandtech to look into. I'll try to bump my voltage up too and see if that helps.