Asus v6600 on VIA kx133 apollo

noiseshapes

Sep 30, 2002
I tried to install my new video card asus, and I tried both 98 and 2000 operating systems, and I also uninstalled the old drivers before, and tried both native drivers and NVIDIA drivers. My computer started in 2000 and frose during boot, I believe at the initializing of video card stage, and in 98 it restarted my computer in a loop.
I don't know wether is a voltage problem, physical problem with my motherboard or just unworking drivers.
Please experts help me !!

Thank you !

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
The original message itself is a little obscure.

So here's a translation :).

Originally, the computer - which has a VIA kx133 Apollo motherboard - came with a 8MB SIS video card.
The new video card, the ASUS 6600 Deluxe, cannot be installed properly: even after cleaning up the old SIS drivers, and installing the 6600, the system will no longer boot properly with either the dedicated ASUS or generic NVidia drivers. VGA mode works, so the card is fine...

So what is it? Insufficient voltage? Incompatibility between the video card and the motherboard?

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
The early athlon chipsets and geforce cards were known to have a few problems at the time, although many of these were ironed out with BIOS updates and revised 4-in-1 drivers, etc.

If you are still having trouble try reducing the AGP speed in the BIOS.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Thanks vss1980 !!!

Now, I'm really curious myself:

1) Would you perform a BIOS update on the card or the motherboard? Or both?
2) When you mention reducing AGP speed in BIOS, do you mean making it 1x instead of 2x ?

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Thanks vss1980 !!!

Now, I'm really curious myself:

1) Would you perform a BIOS update on the card or the motherboard? Or both?
2) When you mention reducing AGP speed in BIOS, do you mean making it 1x instead of 2x ?

1) You'd update the BIOS of the motherboard, not the video card.

2) The AGP speed *should* be 4X (the KT133 did support AGP 4X, didn't it?). If that crashes then you back it down to 2X. I may be wrong, but I thought that every GeForce card was keyed for AGP 4X operation (but sometimes works best at 2X). If that fails, you could always try AGP 1X.

I'd try running them with the 23.12 drivers or 23.xx ones --> those seem to work best with older GeForce cards (1 and 2).

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
Well, there are several things which reduce AGP speed such as lowering the rate. The other most popular AGP speed boost option which also sometimes proves unstable on some configurations is AGP sidebanding. Also, in extreme cases, you may have to adjust AGP driving values, but we will disregard that option for the moment as that is kinda like a last solution as it shouldn't be necessary.

As for BIOS flash, the motherboard would possibly be the better option to flash, but in the past flashing the graphics card BIOS to the latest available can help (especially with early AGP 4x cards).