Asus Update bios updater not working..

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
For the last couple of weeks the asus update bios updating software wasn't working... I tried contacting asus about the matter and I thought I would share the hillariously bad response. I will keep you updated as things progress.
It should be noted I often send such reports to companies and 90+% of times they try to explain to me why "updating is bad, use the older stable version" or "you don't actually NEED that functionality... so don't worry about it". A few companies however respond by making a patch available the very next day. (those are the only responses I have seen, I have never a seen a "we will get right on it" response followed by a patch at a later date. Either they fix it the next day or never)

Original message:

The asus update bios updating software has not been functional ever since the last patch (at least
several weeks). Every time it connects it finds a new version of itself, and then fails to find the file to
download. This happens on every server available, I tried it on multiple computers using multiple isps.
running multiple os.

v7.11.03 is the latest version I tried to use and it also has this problem. It connects, find a new
version of asus update and then fails to download it. (with an infinitely looping error message btw, this
also needs fixing for future issues) It gives a message saying it cannot find the file to download, if you
press again it will try again, and a second later tell you (again) that i cannot find the file, and repeat
until you manage to hit cancel fast enough.

I beleive the cause of this is because the latest version is comes in a zip LABELED 7.11.36. But
when you install it the actual program version turns out to be 7.11.03

Asus Reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for supporting ASUS products.

We apologize that you have encountered this problem.
The software is not so stable.You can uninstall it without upgrade.
If your computer is stable,it is unnecessray to upgrade it.

Sorry for the inconvenience

My Reply:

I know about why and when to do a bios upgrade, and I am able to do so manually without the software.
This response is completely irrelevant to the fact that the updating software doesn't work and needs fixing. Also it is COMPUTERS not computer, 5 different ones all running an asus board, as I have clearly stated in my original email.
Please just forward this information to whomever is working on the "asus update" software so that they could solve this bug rather then trying to convince me I don't need this software. Considering how rediculously TRIVIAL it is to fix (correct a link on your server / reupload a file / or rename a file) I cannot imagine why it will take more then 5 minutes to fix once you become aware of the problem.

PS. As far as I can tell the software is perfectly stable, it just had a typo in the version number last time a patch for it was released. This is not hard to fix!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
ok, I got a response... a different person this time told me:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for supporting ASUS products.

We apologize that you have encountered this problem.

Please kindly let us know which motherboard BIOS you are having problem to do BIOS update?

We will fix the online update file as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
well, the new version doesn't allow me to access their beta bios under any circumstance... so i just download the bin and use EZflash with a thumb drive.