Question ASUS TUF Gaming PSU Compatibility issue

EvilHomer

Jul 11, 2002
I am building a new computer with my son and am a bit confused. I am using the Asus Asus X570 TUF Gaming Wifi with AMD 3600 Processor. I went to Microcenter and they did not have the PSU I wanted so the dude recommended the NZXT C650. It has been a while since my last build so it looked good to me. When I tried connecting the wires I got a bit confused. the PSU has 1 24 pin ATX power output, 1 CPU 4+4 Power output and 3 6+2 PCI-E outputs. The Motherboard has the 24 Pin connection which is fine. But also an 8 pin and 4 pin ATX connectos that dont make sense to me at least. the PCI-e 6+2 cable does not fit into the 8 pin connector on the MB. the only connection that alllows me to power up the computer is Just connecting on of the 4 pin wires to the MB. The manual clearly states do not just connect 4 pin as the MB will overheat...its says to connect the 8 pin power plug or the 8 and 4 pin ...This is not possible with this PSU...what am I missing .. ASUS TUF Gaming MB, AMD 3600 CPU, 16 GB ddr4 ram, MSI x5700 MECH OC GPU..

Attachments

• tuf-z390-plus-gaming(wifi)_2d_aura.png
    tuf-z390-plus-gaming(wifi)_2d_aura.png
    253 KB · Views: 9
  • 17-NZXT-C650.jpg
    17-NZXT-C650.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 10

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
the 8 pin connector is the "1 CPU 4+4 Power" connector.

edit: Personally, I wouldn't have bought that unit. I would have bought something better. You could have bought what you wanted from Amazon even though it would take longer to get it.

Last edited:

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
The motherboard will most likely run with only the 4+4 connector, and with the 3600 CPU you shouldn't run into any problems. I would probably still return the power supply if possible and get a different one.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
the 8 pin connector is the "1 CPU 4+4 Power" connector.

edit: Personally, I wouldn't have bought that unit. I would have bought something better. You could have bought what you wanted from Amazon even though it would take longer to get it.
It's a Seasonic (Focus Gold platform) unit, so the quality is fine. It's also common for power supplies 650w and under to only have one 8-pin (4+4) EPS cable. Most of the time, a person needs to go with a 750w unit and above to get the extra 4-pin EPS connector.

As long as they follow the motherboard user manual directions, and plug the 8-pin (4+4) EPS connector in, they will be fine. Page 1-15 in the manual.

4.jpg

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Yea as mentioned you only need the 4+4 connector which is the 8pin. The extra 4pin you can ignore. I have one of those boards in a rig here. I saw the extra 4pin and ignored it. It's kind of stupid to put it on there on a low/mid end board when these cpus don't even draw that much power.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It's a Seasonic (Focus Gold platform) unit, so the quality is fine. It's also common for power supplies 650w and under to only have one 8-pin (4+4) EPS cable. Most of the time, a person needs to go with a 750w unit and above to get the extra 4-pin EPS connector.

As long as they follow the motherboard user manual directions, and plug the 8-pin (4+4) EPS connector in, they will be fine. Page 1-15 in the manual.

View attachment 28712
NZXT modded the seasonic design to save money:

"NZXT used the Seasonic Focus platform, only this time, it left out the digital circuits of the E series to allow for a lower price."

I prefer the corsair TX series.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
NZXT modded the seasonic design to save money:

"NZXT used the Seasonic Focus platform, only this time, it left out the digital circuits of the E series to allow for a lower price."

I prefer the corsair TX series.
Those are good units as well.

While Seasonic alters their platforms for their various partners to lower costs (and to make sure their namesake models performs the best), it's still a better choice than a lot of the junk units out there.