ASUS TUF Gaming A15, 15.6” 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type, 4800H, GeForce RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCIe SSD, 90WHr Battery, 1200$ ships july 1st ;O

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have the 17.3" version of this laptop and I love it! Plays RDR2 at max settings extremely smooth!

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
do you think you could use the usb type c jack to run another monitor, for I was really thinking of getting this if I ever got the money, but I would need to run the HDMi jack to my Onkyo to use it for surround sound, and then times I want to game on something a little bigger of a monitor, would like to hook that to the usb type c with a c to hdmi adapter?

My thoughts are to get this, sell my gaming/vr/xxx rig, use that money to buy the baddest gpu I could put in there, sell off the 2060, and use this as a desktop replacement, and portable laptop then to do it all :D

I read somewhere that AMD is going to be releasing laptop gpu's in the 5xxx variety, and Id love to swap out the Nvida card, for that instead, making it all amd based.

Yeah, here it is, they are releasing this year the 5600m and the 5700m for laptops, thats going to be bad butt :D

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
do you think you could use the usb type c jack to run another monitor, for I was really thinking of getting this if I ever got the money, but I would need to run the HDMi jack to my Onkyo to use it for surround sound, and then times I want to game on something a little bigger of a monitor, would like to hook that to the usb type c with a c to hdmi adapter?

My thoughts are to get this, sell my gaming/vr/xxx rig, use that money to buy the baddest gpu I could put in there, sell off the 2060, and use this as a desktop replacement, and portable laptop then to do it all :D

I read somewhere that AMD is going to be releasing laptop gpu's in the 5xxx variety, and Id love to swap out the Nvida card, for that instead, making it all amd based.

Yeah, here it is, they are releasing this year the 5600m and the 5700m for laptops, thats going to be bad butt :D
Yea, I havent turned on my main rig at all since I got this. I havent tried to connect to a monitor as the 17.3" screen is large enough for me. I was kinda surprised it came with an nvidia 1660ti and not some AMD gpu. But, it plays everything at max/ultra settings flawlessly and for the price its pretty damn awesome. Only real drawback IMO is that its rated "TUF" but doesn't feel all that "TUF". I got the 512gb NVME version and added a 4tb SSD in the empty SATA slot.

Reactions: killster1

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
this one has the 15" screen, and why I was wondering if I could use the type c usb as video out, for I need the hdmi one to use as audio mostly to my onkyo, for I dont want simulated surround, or stereo, and I have a 32" curved monitor with freesync, which is another reason why Ill be pulling out the NVIDIA card and selling it and getting the soon released 5600 or 5700m unit, and make good with my 32" when I feel 15" is "too" small for my liking at the time.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
this one has the 15" screen, and why I was wondering if I could use the type c usb as video out, for I need the hdmi one to use as audio mostly to my onkyo, for I dont want simulated surround, or stereo, and I have a 32" curved monitor with freesync, which is another reason why Ill be pulling out the NVIDIA card and selling it and getting the soon released 5600 or 5700m unit, and make good with my 32" when I feel 15" is "too" small for my liking at the time.
What makes you think you can change the gpu in a laptop. /mind blown

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I know right, my mind is blown as well!

For it is possible to do, you have to tear down the whole laptop, and in hopes Clevo will make a heatpip, for said card I want to upgrade to, you know the manufature that pretty much makes all the graphics cards for almost all the laptops, but it is possible.

Clevo does not market its products directly but it distributes them through a worldwide network of System Integrators and Resellers that rebrand them and customize them to the customer's taste. ( List of Clevo Resellers ) System Integrators such as Sager, Origin, XMG / Schenker, Metabox, Obsidian PC, Eurocom are among the most well-known in the world.

And should I ever buy a laptop with Thunderbolt, then I really have some options with changing the graphics for it :p

And to think that Amazon, and the web, sells replacement/upgrades graphics cards for some laptops as well, why would they do that if they couldnt be replaced, mind blown again, for they are selling stuff you cannot even use.

So yeah, there is a chance I could actually do it, and with the new graphics from amd coming out, there is a chance that Clevo will make a upgrade kit for it, for said laptop, if it sells like mad, and people want to remove the Nvidia card, for what ever reason, and put in a Amd matching one. Who ever thought they had a chance to change the video card in a laptop, or replace one that dies, or upgrade to better, is just so mind blowing, I got to go take some pills for my head hurts from all the blowing of my brain :p

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
OH, and this laptops has discrete graphics, and this one comes with a 2060, some with a 1660 TI, so may be no, I cannot put in a AMD one later, but fingers crossed, But I have seen a discrete 2070, and even a 2080, so if I can use the Clevo kit, if they decide to make one for this later, I can do that as well. But Im really thinking that with all the talk on the 5XXX series discrete graphics cards that will be coming out soon, someone is bound to make a kit to put it in this, I would think. If wrong, then oh well, Ill save up some money and get the 2070 or 2080 if I become rich all of a sudden.

Mar 11, 2004
Er, I think this was the normal price for this config? Are these still selling out fast enough that it being in stock/possible to order is the deal? I saw the prices on some of the 4000 series laptops were increased but I think that was 3rd party and/or Amazon's algorithm?

I doubt you'll be able to replace the GPU unless you go with one of the ones already setup for it (which I believe the 2060 is the highest model) because of needing to fit for the laptop's HSF/cooling setup. Of course I don't even know why you'd want to with the ones you listed. I'm not sure the 5700m would even be much of an improvement, and not worth the hassle. You almost certainly are going to end up paying a lot more and that's if you can get it to fit, which isn't a guarantee. And higher models are going to throttle quite a lot or be insanely noisy. It might be worth upgrading if they update the models with newer GPUs say next year, at least that has potential to offer significant improvement), but even then the cost is probably going to be high enough that you'd be better off just selling the laptop and buying a newer model (where you'll probably get other benefits, like newer CPU, fresher battery, etc).

Lastly, yes the USB-C has DP capability (but I believe this model lacks the ability to charge via USB-C, but the more expensive ASUS models support that).

I'm hoping someone makes a good 2n1 with these newer AMD chips that has just the CPU (with robust enough cooling so that it won't throttle when plugged in), and with TB3 for external GPU. Something like the HP X360, so that you could have a nice fairly svelte machine for when you need/want the portability, but then have better GPU and not have to rely on the laptop's cooling or have the GPU and CPU compete for thermal headroom.

Reactions: funboy6942

gibster

Jan 18, 2002
This is one sweet laptop, I wish I waited for this one instead of jumping on a 6 core i7/GTX1050 Acer a couple of years ago... I wonder what they stuck in the m.2 slot, because I at least upgraded to the 970 EVO, but only 500GB. There seem to be big speed differences in m.2 cards, some do 3500MB/s reads, some do 1500MB/s. But damn, 45W 8 cores, who needs a desktop with this thing...

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Lastly, yes the USB-C has DP capability (but I believe this model lacks the ability to charge via USB-C, but the more expensive ASUS models support that).

Thats what I really needed to know most of all, that would make me want to buy this over anything else, for its a desktop pc, in a laptop case, IMO that is. Being able to hook it up to my stereo using the HDMI, and nvidia driver to extract the surround sound in movies and games, and still be able to hook it up to my 32" monitor at the same time is a must for me if I ever were to buy one down the line. Thanks for the info :D

Reactions: killster1

Bitman

Jun 18, 2001
From https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15/specifications/

1 x COMBO audio jack
2 x Type-A USB 3.2 (Gen 1)
1 x Type-C USB 3.2 (Gen 2) with display support DP1.4
1 x Type-A USB2.0
1 x RJ45 LAN jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI, HDMI support 2.0b
1 x AC adapter plug

"Only" two outputs so you can't do a nice 3-display desktop, but to be fair I have a USB3 video adapter, and they work amazingly well.

But then there's this:
IPS-level Panel with 45% NTSC
I've never even heard of 45% NTSC. What's that, like an old dual-scan panel from the 90s? One Amazon review mentioned the poor color quality. This video review says the panel has good speed and ok color for gaming, but not anything else.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
i dont know if i should order something like this with 2060 or force my boy to use what he has build him a desktop with a spare 1080 i have laying around and wait for the 3060 lappies to come out ;O
From https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15/specifications/

"Only" two outputs so you can't do a nice 3-display desktop, but to be fair I have a USB3 video adapter, and they work amazingly well.

But then there's this:

I've never even heard of 45% NTSC. What's that, like an old dual-scan panel from the 90s? One Amazon review mentioned the poor color quality. This video review says the panel has good speed and ok color for gaming, but not anything else.
thanks for the video review, interesting, stinkin usb 2.0 plug and the 1660ti is almost or just as good in lots of the games ;( ((thought the 2060 beat it with a larger gap ))

NobodyPNW

Jun 23, 2020
First post here - longtime lurker. Like, super long time.

Anyways, just ordered a similar one (4800h/2060/8g/512g/60hz screen) as a PS workstation (and admittantly a gaming rig). It arrived yesterday and I've not had any heat issues with it so far despite the reviews (it's 90 outside today and I don't have an AC, but it's doing fine with at least one game I've tried it with). The display leaves a bit to be desired but most outside OLEDs (which have burn issues) do anyways. I'm going to be using a knockoff Cintiq for my photo editing as needed, though a lot of work (including basic desaturation) doesn't really need a wide color gamut and accuracy is something you'd want to calibrate if you're actually serious about color work anyways.

As far as sound goes, the speakers on this are a huge upgrade compared to my last lapt p (2012 15" MBP). It doesn't really drive my HE400 much better than my low end android phone does but that's to be expected with power hungry planar headphones. Interestingly enough, the bundled DTSx sound apps have a preset for them.

Has anyone tried shoehorning 32gb SODIMMs into this thing? Official Asus specs say 32gb total max but I'm a bit curious if there's a way to get 64gb in there given that the cpu is 8c/16t and I'd like to leave the option to upgrade down the line open.