Question ASUS Strix RTX 2080 ti, cooler suddenly loud

sioux

May 30, 2013
My GPU cooler just started yesterday, suddenly, to run very fast, I didn't play or something
I opened it, checked if there is dust, it looks clean
I installed Windows again but as soon as the OS starts, the cooler starts again to run fast
It doesn't matter if it's the Nvidia driver or the Windows 10 default WDDM driver
In BIOS is quiet.
Could you please help me with this ?
What else should I try ?
Some people with the same issue didn't have a chance for RMA because the GPU " is working fine "
That's weird
Thank you very much, in advance

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My GPU cooler just started yesterday, suddenly, to run very fast, I didn't play or something
I opened it, checked if there is dust, it looks clean
I installed Windows again but as soon as the OS starts, the cooler starts again to run fast
It doesn't matter if it's the Nvidia driver or the Windows 10 default WDDM driver
In BIOS is quiet.
Could you please help me with this ?
What else should I try ?
Some people with the same issue didn't have a chance for RMA because the GPU " is working fine "
That's weird
Thank you very much, in advance
Use MSI afterburner to set a custom fan curve, that should fix it up.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Pro tip for the future - Post everything you have tried, so people helping you know where to start.

Did you do obvious/simple things, like checking if the switch on the card is on p or q mode? Are you using the fan connect 2? Did you post in their forums about it? Fresh windows, drivers, and fan control software failed. If these other points checkout, and as you fear your RMA will be rejected, consider flashing one of the bios as a last ditch effort. You always have the other as a backup if it goes badly.

sioux

May 30, 2013
The switch on the card is on p or q mode? If I'm using the fan connect 2 ? I'm affraid, I don't really understand what you mean. Could you please give more details ?
Yes, you're right. Pro tip for the future....
Would you recommend to flash the GPU BIOS ? I never did that, before.
Where could I find the latest BIOS for the ASUS Strix RTX 2080 Ti ? Only on the official ASUS website ?
Thanks a million

sioux

May 30, 2013
Tried some heavy load ( games ) and after the coolers start spinning, after I turn off the game, they won't stop, they are still loud

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Tried some heavy load ( games ) and after the coolers start spinning, after I turn off the game, they won't stop, they are still loud
I think that your cooler may not be making proper contact with the card. Provided case cooling is good. That would warrant an RMA.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What do you mean with " cooler may not be making proper contact with the card " ?
If so, they won't work at all, I guess
The card will work if it is making poor contact, but abnormally high temps, and the fans working overtime can be symptoms. Could be a bad sensor too. Point being, you have done a troubleshoot, tried fan control software, and even the quite bios on the card and it still goes full ham after some gaming. Time to contact ASUS which has some of the worst customer support in the biz, so good luck!

sioux

May 30, 2013
ASUS asked me to send a video with sound, I did
They said " the grafic card is working fine "
That means, no RMA. That's weird. I paid for it 1300 euro, last year - sommer
In this case, all I can do is, to open it and see what I can do
Any advices are welcome.
Thank you

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You never did post what the temps look like under gaming load, and immediately after. Let's start with that. Because if they are high, forcing the fan to ramp up, then a fresh application of thermal compound is advisable.

sioux

May 30, 2013
Okay, in idle after I start the PC, its quiet.
GPU - 33-34 C
I started a game, 4K, almost all the settings to high
After 3-4 minutes the coolers start spinning. I closed the game and here are the results
But right now, when I'm typing, the coolers remained loud, they didn't turn off or less spinning
I opened already the GPU ( warranty is gone, now ) and I applied some pasta

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 7

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
According to the screenshot, your card is running nice and cool and one fan is barely spinning, while the other is idle. If it is loud at that point, you have a bad fan.

sioux

May 30, 2013
I will check the link, thanks a million, DAPUNISHER
I did another quick test
Turned OFF the PC, and ON again
Everything is quiet as it should be
Started a game, after 3-4 minutes, the coolers started again to spin. LOUD
Turned off the game and checked the AIDA software
GPU and GPU 2 both, 0 % RPM
I checked all the 3 coolers, the left and right one are spinning, but not the one in the middle

LE
GPUZ shows 0 % RPM
Left and right coolers are spinning right now ( pretty loud )
Is that the GPU sensor with the issue ??

Attachments

• GPUZ.jpg
    GPUZ.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: