Asus Strix GTX 970 significantly hotter than MSI 970 in idle?

T0bias

May 18, 2008
Hi,

I have become in doubt whether I should keep my Asus Strix GTX 970 or if I should swap it to an MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G. The main reason for this is that I have seen a number of reviews stating very high idle temps on the Asus as opposed to the MSI (44 vs 28 degrees celsius):

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/graphics/41608-asus-strix-gtx-970-4gb-review?showall=&start=6

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/graphics/41610-msi-gtx-970-gaming-4g?showall=&start=6

and (in danish though):

http://www.tweak.dk/review/ASUS-Strix-GeForce-GTX-900-Series-Roundup/2141/3/1

http://www.tweak.dk/review/MSI-Twin-Frozr-GTX-970-Gaming-4G/2083/3/1

Can this really be true? Seems kinda strange to me. In other reviews the difference is very small though.

I tend to let my pc render during the night, which usually only involves 100% CPU load and no GPU load, but I was wondering if the Asus card really is significantly hotter at idle than MSI, and if it will affect my CPU temps?

The rest of my PC involves a i7-3930k, Corsair h100i cooler and an Antec P280 with 3 Arctic Cooling F12 PWM fans.

What do you think? :)

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Idle temperature is irrelevant. Same applies for CPUs.

One can simply run the fan at a much slower speed and the other at much faster.

Look on the powerdraw instead, since thats the only thing that relates to the heat you mention.

Last edited:

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Aren't these new gen cards turning off fans at idle? If so idle temp is irrelevant and while higher temp will increase idle power it will get offset by savings by turned off fans. I think net will be ~same heat wattage dumped in your case.

T0bias

May 18, 2008
Idle temperature is irrelevant. Same applies for CPUs.

One can simply run the fan at a much slower speed and the other at much faster.

Look on the powerdraw instead, since thats the only thing that relates to the heat you mention.

I'm not sure what you mean with run the fat at a slower speed and the other at much faster?

Both the Asus and MSI switch off their fans when below a certain temperature - a feature I really like as I like silence, but if the Asus is significantly hotter, wouldn't that affect the CPU load temperatures?

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
Aren't these new gen cards turning off fans at idle? If so idle temp is irrelevant and while higher temp will increase idle power it will get offset by savings by turned off fans. I think net will be ~same heat wattage dumped in your case.

Wouldn't higher temps turn on the fans though? That said, there are many factors like case and its cooling, thermal paste on that particular GPU etc.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
The Asus switches both fans off while the MSI only one off at idle. Seen reviews with varying idle temps (33-42). I think a lot depends on case cooling and air flow as well. Mine idles at 38-40, and even if it idled at 60c I would have no problem with that. Where were you when 60-65c idle was the norm a few years ago?

If it really bothers you use MSI AB to set up a fan profile, but I think the fans would then run at 30% (minimum) which defeats the point of a card like the Strix.

T0bias

May 18, 2008
The Asus switches both fans off while the MSI only one off at idle. Seen reviews with varying idle temps (33-42). I think a lot depends on case cooling and air flow as well. Mine idles at 38-40, and even if it idled at 60c I would have no problem with that. Where were you when 60-65c idle was the norm a few years ago?

If it really bothers you use MSI AB to set up a fan profile, but I think the fans would then run at 30% (minimum) which defeats the point of a card like the Strix.

Where did you see that it is only one fan that switches off for the MSI?

The only reason that I'm thinking about the idle temp is because I'm unsure how much it could impact the CPU temps, but perhaps it's so little that it doesn't matter at all :)

I never really thought much about GPU temps, but the rather big difference between the Asus and MSI versions shown in a few reviews has made me investigate it :)

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have made research for a previous user and the Strix fan is turning off on idle.

Idle temps are irrevelant anyway, especially with that kind of feature.

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/1.html
Today, we're reviewing the ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 OC, a non-reference design, factory-overclocked GTX 970 graphics card with a custom-designed PCB and the company's new STRIX cooling solution, which stops the fans in idle for a completely noiseless experience. According to ASUS, the card will retail for $349.

T0bias

May 18, 2008
Yes I have seen that too :) But amenx said that the MSI 970 Gaming version only turns off one of the two fans, which is a surprise to me if it is true, as I haven't seen that mentioned. I thought it behaved in the same way as the Strix.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Yes I have seen that too :) But amenx said that the MSI 970 Gaming version only turns off one of the two fans, which is a surprise to me if it is true, as I haven't seen that mentioned. I thought it behaved in the same way as the Strix.
I may be wrong, but what I have gathered is that the fans are "independently controlled" which I assumed that one fan is off in idle.