ASUS splashtop

shamgar03

Jul 13, 2004
This is pretty cool, I just saw this this other day. There is more information here and here. In short this ASUS motherboard comes with a version of embedded linux (2.6.20 kernel) in the bios. It can load within 5 seconds into a linux desktop with a web browser and skype (and of course the necessary drivers to use the internet). The first article even states the wireless worked. The second and third articles talk about the ability to load additional tools, giving the ability to attach hardrives and add extra utilities. It seems the main purpose is to provide a safe web surfing environment for people who use windows, however this could really pick up in the linux community. I am rather excited about the implications.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Amazing to see that nobody commented on this piece of news in over a month - although it is, arguably, one of the coolest innovations I've seen this year.

I predict that ASUS will take this even further, and use the experience gained on their Eee platform to eventually provide a complete on-board operating system...
Thumbs up!