ASUS RT-N66U Router with ATT Uverse 3801HGV Residential Gateway

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
How are you accessing your NAS from outside your network (what program)? Maybe the NAS got assigned a new IP address from the Asus router and the program you're using is trying the old IP address? Or maybe you need to re-setup port forwarding on the Asus?

https://www.wd2go.com/

As far as I know, the NAS IP did not change, I can still access it's admin screen at the same IP as always from inside my network.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Are you using any dynamic dns services?

do you connect using the WAN IP + a port?

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
I'm using dynamic dns for remote desktop to my pc.

i connect NAS by plugging into port on new Asus router (in access point mode)... if that's what you mean

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm using dynamic dns for remote desktop to my pc.

i connect NAS by plugging into port on new Asus router (in access point mode)... if that's what you mean

I mean when you're not home, do you use the WAN IP to connect, or the dynamic dns hostname that's setup.

I admit I didn't read this whole thread, so how did you setup the Asus? as a WAP? Or does Asus have a "AP" mode setting...

http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

When using two SOHO routers, it's best to setup the second as a WAP...basically disabling all non-required services on the second router: DHCP, firewalls, WAN, DNS, etc...

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
when i connect to cloud drive from out of network, i either use my Western Digital app on my phone or on a pc by going to https://www.wd2go.com/

Asus is setup as an Access Point behind ATT Uverse 2wire router.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't have any experience with those, but have you browsed the FAQs?

Do you get any specific error code or anything when you try to connect?

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
I wish I got an error code for reference. It just shows a gear spinning and spinning to no end. Thanks for your help -I'll continue to try things to get it accessible out of network.

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
Also, plugging the NAS back into the 2wire (like it was prior to the install of the Asus access point) still does not let me connect outside of my network.

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
Last update re: NAS

I was going to do a factory restore the NAS hoping to get it to show up out of network after installation of new access point.

Before doing so, I did a hard reset. (go to admin settings, shut down, pull plug from back, plug back in, wait to boot up). THIS WORKED!

The regular reboot within admin settings never did. Hard reset worked. Everything is going the way I wanted it to now. I'm pleased with the purchase of my Asus RT-AC66R router, and using it as an access point.

vr666m

Jan 11, 2014
Thank you, I got it to work following your steps.
now I can't get back to the admin screen of the Asus router.
192.168.1.1 doesn't work anymore.
How do you get in to that?

fjmeat

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2010
download the free Asus device discovery tool to your PC. it finds it for you.

mine is on 192.168.1.70

vr666m

Jan 11, 2014
Can you share step by step how you forward/open port 80 through both 2wire and the Asus router to get remote access with DS Photo? So far I only got port 5000 opened

Trogladyte

Sep 22, 2014
I wanted to move my PC to another room, but the gateway is connected via an ethernet cable to it. I removed the ethernet cable, but now the PC cannot detect the network. So does that mean that the PC's Network Adapter is being used to transmit the wireless signals?
Also, the TV set top box is wired to the gateway. Is this necessary?

Thanks

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
PC needs Wireless card to connect via Wireless. In most cases it has to installed since it has nothing to do with the wire card.

Some Gateways have Wireless Capacity, many not.

:cool: