Review Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS Tested

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013

On the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark (highest, 1920 x 1080), the Zephyrus ran at 49 fps, tying it with both the Acer Predator Triton 500 (i7-8750H, RTX 2060) and Dell G7 15 (i7-9750H, RTX 2060).

Asus’ laptop ran Hitman (ultra, 1920 x 1080) at 89 fps, two frames ahead of the Predator and one frame ahead of the Dell.

The Zephyrus outperformed on Grand Theft Auto V’s benchmark (very high, 1920 x 1080) at 115 fps, losing by two frames to the Dell but easily beating the Predator with 87 fps.

We also ran our gaming stress test, in which we ran Metro Exodus 15 times on a loop to simulate half an hour of gaming. In this case, we ran the game at the ultra preset at 1080p. The game ran at an average of 40.5 fps, and with RTX on it dropped to 37.8 fps. The average CPU clock speed was 3.1 GHz, and it had an average temperature of 78.4 degrees Celsius (173.1 degrees Fahrenheit). The GPU ran at an average of 425.1 MHz and a temperature of 64.8 degrees Celsius (148.6 degrees Fahrenheit).

pnYUIDFMoEKSgBH.png

HOjb3NPAuiLXrkt.png

Oz5wAilKQET6Fxj.png

It’s truly incredible how long the Zephyrus lasted on our battery test. Generally, only the best ultraportables last between eight and 10 hours on our test, which continuously browses the web, streams video and runs OpenGL tests, all while connected to Wi-Fi with the display at 150 nits brightness.

The Zephyrus endured for 11 hours and 32 minutes. That’s incredible for a gaming notebook and even for some ultrabooks. The premium gaming average is just under 4 hours. This means the Zephyrus is suitable to use as your everyday system in addition to being your gaming machine.

For comparison, the Acer Predator Triton 500, with an i7-8750H and RTX 2060, ran for 4:24 and the Dell G7 15, with an i7-9750H and RTX 2060, died after 3:12. The Razer Blade Stealth 13, with a 25W Ice Lake processor ( i7-1065G7) lasted 8:53. The Dell XPS 13, with a 6-core/12-thread i7-10710U Comet Lake CPU ran for 7:56, albeit with a more taxing 4K display.

And while it’s not quite the best comparison, the MSI Alpha 15, a budget all-AMD gaming laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 3750H and a Radeon RX 5500M graphics lasted only 3:53.

oZBe6xafzRNPyku.png

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
The funniest thing is, which actually tells the most about his character: tuned at gaming 🤣🤣🤣
NOBODY EVER tuned ANYTHING for gaming at Intel when designing an uarch.
He didn't said that.
He said that skylake was "tuned", but without specifying for what, and one of the results is the performance in gaming.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
He didn't said that.
He said that skylake was "tuned", but without specifying for what, and one of the results is the performance in gaming.
You either speak even worse English than him, or you just follow him for so long that you can read his mind. What he wrote does not mean what you state now, at least not in English.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
You either speak even worse English than him, or you just follow him for so long that you can read his mind. What he wrote does not mean what you state now, at least not in English.
Yes, my english is bad, but still.
He was bragging that he was part of what made Skylake good, that he helped tweak that thing to extract the maximum performance the arch could deliver. The performance "at" gaming is a consequence of this, not that Skylake was made thinking about how to have the best performance "in" gaming.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
You take David Kanter seriously?

Well , IPC is application depended. ZEN 2 may have higher IPC in Floating Point in Cinebench but that doesnt actually mean it has the higher IPC in general.
I dont know it may have the higher IPC but taking only Cinebench to showcase this is not the complete picture.
I would like to see a review with 10-15 applications having both Integer and Float benchmarks and then we can come to a conclusion who has the higher IPC.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well , IPC is application depended.

Remember we're talking Renoir vs. Intel mobile chips specifically. You can't just compare Zen2 to Coffeelake on desktop and come to a conclusion. In mobile, you've got to normalize for power (I guess?) for things to be meaningful. Unless it's okay for Intel to win benchmarks by burning up 2x more package power.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
You take David Kanter seriously?

I have a ton of respect for David Kanter and his knowledge of digital IP design far outweighs mine. With that said, appeal to authority doesn't go very far with me so without an argument with data to back it up, a simple no response is meaningless to me.

Now, from what I've seen, he is correct in terms of Icelake, but Icelake also doesn't have any skus with more than 4 cores, doesn't scale well in frequency compared to AMD or intel's own 14 nm, and doesn't seem to offer any significant power savings to speak of compared to intel 14 nm, so it's hard to mark that one in the win column.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
I have a ton of respect for David Kanter and his knowledge of digital IP design far outweighs mine. With that said, appeal to authority doesn't go very far with me so without an argument with data to back it up, a simple no response is meaningless to me.

Now, from what I've seen, he is correct in terms of Icelake, but Icelake also doesn't have any skus with more than 4 cores, doesn't scale well in frequency compared to AMD or intel's own 14 nm, and doesn't seem to offer any significant power savings to speak of compared to intel 14 nm, so it's hard to mark that one in the win column.
The question was about IPC though, so he's right. Ice Lake is ahead in IPC.

It may be littered with other problems, but if you're gonna talk about IPC, then currently in x86 Intel is still technically in the lead.

We'll see if that holds up later this year though.

Reactions: lightmanek

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Remember we're talking Renoir vs. Intel mobile chips specifically. You can't just compare Zen2 to Coffeelake on desktop and come to a conclusion. In mobile, you've got to normalize for power (I guess?) for things to be meaningful. Unless it's okay for Intel to win benchmarks by burning up 2x more package power.

IPC will be almost the same in desktop vs mobile.

perf/watt is a different measurement, it doesnt have an impact in IPC performance.

Reactions: ondma and Zucker2k

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

It may be littered with other problems, but if you're gonna talk about IPC, then currently in x86 Intel is still technically in the lead.

At what applications ??

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

My point is that when your perf/clock lead is with a chip that is mobile only with a limited number of SKUs, it's not exactly a win. AMD has the perf/clock lead in desktop, server, and mobile above 4 cores. Intel has a lead in mobile 4 cores and below where it still loses in overall performance and efficiency. So who has the "IPC lead"? It's not a straight forward decision at this particular point in time.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Now, from what I've seen, he is correct in terms of Icelake, but Icelake also doesn't have any skus with more than 4 cores, doesn't scale well in frequency compared to AMD or intel's own 14 nm
Comparing Icelake with Intel's 14nm CPUs or Zen 2 in desktop performance right now is like comparing Apple's A13 with Intel's 14nm CPUs or Zen 2 in desktop performance! lol

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
On average of a multiple applications. I dunno, if you want an industry standard or something use Spec results, they'll tell you the same thing. Sunny Cove is ahead of Zen 2 and Skylake.

Yes ok, what are those applications ?? do you have a link with results from those applications ??

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
We have links of Spec int and Spec float in a single thread at a given clock speed for ZEN 2 vs Ice Lake ??
Not single thread and not at fixed clock speeds as Andrei has repeatedly said that its not relevant, but here you go:
As you can see from the final graph in that page Ice Lake is ~10% ahead in PPC vs Zen 2 in int and ~13% ahead in fp.