ASUS rma is a JOKE.

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
Anyways short version:

I RMA'd my Asus X1900XT to them last week, got the "replacement" today.

They sent me the same card with the exact same problem. Major artifacting.

Anyways, I am wondering what the fan speed for the X1900XT cards are... as in percentage in idle and load.....

They thought that flashing the fan speed to a permanent 59% would be a quick fix, it stays at 59% in idle and load. So it sounds like a monster at the desktop.

After flashing they probably ran it through one loop of 3dmark2001 or something because me running CS:S or Crysis shows a lot of artifacts right away... ridiculous, no wonder the turn around time was so fast, they didn't fix anything!

Now I wasted my time and money for this horrible ploy they call an RMA.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Mine idles at 27%, and generally gets to about 50% under heavy load. This is all completely temperature dependent, though - generally the card's BIOS should control the speed adequately to keep it from overheating (I tried manually setting the fan to 100%, which is deafening, and it practically halved my temps). If it rarely passes 100C, then it's not just overheating - these things have a really high temperature tolerance. Mine idles at 40-60 depending on the weather, and loads at 80-100. I've never gotten any artifacting (stock clocks, stock cooler).

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I do not remember the stock speeds, but if you use ATI Tray Tool you can set the fan spped to go to what ever speed you like with changing temps. You also can set 2D/3D speed modes so that it will stay quiet when at desktop, but ramp up as soon as you start playing games.

My X1900XT fan runs at 29% in 2D mode, jumps to 60% when it switches to 3D, and never gets above 62C in 3D because the fan goes to 100% when the temp reaches 60C.