Asus Rampage III Extreme - IOH temp very high

amfriedman

Mar 20, 2002
I just finished a build with this board. All of the temps are in line EXCEPT for the IOH temp, which, at rest (just booting into bios), is hovering around 77-78C. Any thoughts on how I can lower this? Is my board defective or is there a heatsink on the chipset that might not be properly seated?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Alan

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Touch the NB heatsink. If the idle temp is 77, the heatsink should be screaming hot. If it is, you can add a fan to lower the temp. If the heatsink is vaguely warm/cool, you could try reseating it with a decent thermal compound. If neither of the above work, it's probably a busted sensor.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Welcome to X58.

I'll point you towards the nearest NB replacement HSF from Thermalright, waterblock from EK, or ghetto fan placement.

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Welcome to X58.

I'll point you towards the nearest NB replacement HSF from Thermalright, waterblock from EK, or ghetto fan placement.

It shouldn't idle at 77-78 though. Even after taking off the dreadful stock fan off my NB, I haven't see it exceed 70C.

vlad4

Feb 14, 2004
You may need to double check the heatsink contact. I've read other reports of it not sitting correctly on the chip.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Welcome to X58.

My thoughts exactly, when I read the title of this thread.

I've seen it easily exceed 100°C under load using stock cooling on several different boards. Good stock heatsink contact too, because an external thermistor wedged between the fins would report around 80°C.

bka4u2c

Mar 17, 2006
A separate heatsink/fan is included with the motherboard if you want to install it. I didn't install mine because the temps were fine with the passive one they put on.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
85C idle dropped to 58C idle from installing fan that was included.

That fan blocks lots of coolers though. I installed an H70 for testing and have the room. With reduced flow across the board (won't be a problem when it's mounted in a FT-02) temps do soar. I'm sure running PCI-E at 115MHz does not help things either. :eek: