Asus R9 290X huge problem, The last hope is you.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XAKEP

Jan 24, 2015
Try another card closer to 290x in consumption... i guess, that's all that remains.

Yeah. I really have 0 budget on this problem I am having as you can see I spend a lot on this rig. Like 3 years worth of electronic budget. But its more and more looks like a RMA for 2 mono and card. Let them figure out. Does anyone know detales when something like that happens do they have procedure that they follow when testing rmas or they actually listen to what's in the notes or call people to ask what's up. Cause I feel they'll test card... No problem. Then they'll test slot with some generic card...no problem and I am screwed on shipping cause I'll get same thing back without exchange. Anyone know this ?

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Its not the Card; you've ran it fine on another MB; 99% positive its the MB; send it back for a replacement......

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
So consensus it's a board right ? Now not to mess everything up with my setup can I try different GPU to see if it works with mobo ? I mean my HD6970 works okay but like I said before may be to try out some other one ? Guys I REALLY don't want to tear my stuff us you don't even know I made it to last .....for years .... every screw, every wire, every cable tension is just ....perfect. I mean it's killing me to move my 2 cables that goes to GPU every time I disconnecting it.

I wouldn't as far as "consensus" but yes, it's most likely the board. As I said above, it will kill the resale if you don't get it taken care of now, but it works in the other slot, so up to you.

georgi984

Apr 7, 2010
ХАКЕР i got similar problem like you and the only working solution i managed to find is immediately after the driver crash i run this version of "GPU-Z.0.4.9"
it has a known bug of locking you'r GPU in 3d mode while it's running.
i think that the motherboard can't supply enough power when the card is switching from 2d to 3d
https://www.google.bg/search?safe=a...E8T3UPyEg_gI&ved=0CBoQvwUoAA&biw=1280&bih=896

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I seem to remember coming across an issue like this while trying to solve a different problem of mine. It went something like the front USB connectors on some motherboards use the PCIE 1 slot lanes in some fashion. As such it can cause instability with the GPU and can be bad to the point it will not be recognized by the BIOS on boot.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
If the GPU works fine in Slot 3, just put it in Slot 3. Why do you care whether it's in Slot 1 or 3?

If you plan on ever CrossFiring the cards though you're going to want to RMA it or at least call support and see if it's not a USB/PCI-e Lane splitter chip issue like Despoiler mentions.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
If the GPU works fine in Slot 3, just put it in Slot 3. Why do you care whether it's in Slot 1 or 3?

If you plan on ever CrossFiring the cards though you're going to want to RMA it or at least call support and see if it's not a USB/PCI-e Lane splitter chip issue like Despoiler mentions.
You do want to make sure board is alright... well, i would.

XAKEP

Jan 24, 2015
ХАКЕР i got similar problem like you and the only working solution i managed to find is immediately after the driver crash i run this version of "GPU-Z.0.4.9"
it has a known bug of locking you'r GPU in 3d mode while it's running.
i think that the motherboard can't supply enough power when the card is switching from 2d to 3d
https://www.google.bg/search?safe=a...E8T3UPyEg_gI&ved=0CBoQvwUoAA&biw=1280&bih=896

That 2D - 3D make sence. I want to get some other PCIx 3 GPU that somewhat power hungry and see how it works. If I'll have same crashes in PCIx_1 and same lines in PCIx_3 (I'll need to play with it for a while to confirm lines thing) then it's a board, if all good on both it's a card.

XAKEP

Jan 24, 2015

I am not sure if you read my OP but as stated once every 2 weeks I am getting this lines (watch youtube in OP) and well clearly something is wrong. Honestly I don't mind rebooting system once every 2 weeks but main problem for me that 3K system is not running as I want, problem is I cannot put card in slot 1 and use fans I purchased for my case, and problems is I can't use CF in future if I wanted to. And in general I want product that is not defective , period. But because I am maniac I still haven't RMA everything and yelled at ASUS guy on the phone for giving me free Advanced RMA and stuff).

So yeah,.... there.

Clayhans

Mar 27, 2017
Hello everyone. Back in September when X99 came out I purchased my dream system, I'll put complete specs later on. But in short and relative I have X99 Deluxe MoBo, R9 290x GPU and Antec 1000W PSU. I can't tell you if I had this problem from day 1 or not but within a week I've had it. Let me explain what is going on.

First I decided to upgrade BIOS on my Video card because everywhere I looked I see that R9 290X was unstable and new BIOS revision promised exactly that. However I found myself in situation where BIOS flasher gave me error and GPU no longer booted for me. Thank god I had Second BIOS switch and in my 20 years working with computers this is first time I even thought about updating VBIOS. Anyhow I managed to reflash both to the latest version and everything ok with BIOS part. Now after card started to work again I installed brand new windows 8.1 and everything was exactly as it should be. Until I installed my Video driver and try to play my favorite game. As soon GPU start to be active (later on I found that any activity by GPU will trigger this, a video on the page that use some gpu or screen saver) Video driver crash and recovery will pop out. Performance in the game is extremely low in waves. Anywhere from 10 to 40 FPS when normally I'd get around 80 steady. So recap a bit. Video card works without problem (visually) when something starting to play that require GPU processing power driver crash. Reason I say that requite GPU because if I am in the desktop everything is fine, but as soon I let's say open chrome that indeed use video acceleration to display pages everything crash, may be not right away but within 30 seconds it does. Same goes for the games.

So my next thought was well, I have bad GPU. Let's RMA it and done deal right? Wrong. I have my older rig that is based on old X58 chipset an ASUS P6T-Deluxe (I like ASUS deluxe series boards as you can see) So it took me few minutes to plug my new shiny R9 290X in to my old computer and .... no problem whatsoever. And burned this card back and forward and sideways. I mean I really did all I can do crash driver and the card. Nothing worked. Card is stable 100% I mean no problems PERIOD. Forget about driver crash I even did OC, burn in tests, gaming benches basically I did complete GPU test. Everything checked out.

My next thought was, well I guess this is my Board, right? Wrong again. I took my older GPU from X58 build that is HD6970 (very nice card still) and plug it in to my new X99 build and ..... I did exactly same tests .... NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. Now I started to get a bit worry because solution still not found. Is it card or it's a board.

I was about to give up when I decided to put my 290X in to GPU slot PCIx_3. In manual in single GPU setup it is recommended to use PCIx_1 or PCIx_3 port. And guess what. Everything working I managed to get tests and benches, everything looked good no problem at all. I didn't fix problem but at list I have stable system. So recap. The only times I am getting driver crash and low performance if I put 290X in to PCIx_1 port, same card perform without problem in another motherboard and also in PCIx_3 port on new motherboard. I did tried PCIx_1 and 3 on older board just to see if all green, indeed it is.

So you'd say use it on PCIx_3 port what is the problem. Well this is not how hardware should work or is working. And this is first time in my years working with systems I am getting such off combination of fail / no fail tests. I must say I am uneasy to just let it go but I really had no choice because what to RMA CArd or board or both ? I can't just rip system apart send it in just to receive everything back with "no problems found" in the notes from ASUS. Because if you take card use it on my older board indeed no problems, only when you combine 2 you get. But anyhow I almost gave up and let it be on port 3 when something happened. All of a sudden I see lines on the screen. Almost looked like a bad cable issue (not artifacts when bad GPU connection on the board and require reflow) but indeed lines and again lines only happen when something is on the screen that require render, empty desktop ... no lines ...nothing to render ..lines. I made a recording, please review it. Now I must say that this happens may be one every 2 weeks for past 4 months or so. I need to reboot computer and they're gone. While lines are on game and fps work without problem, no driver crashes no nothing. Lines go across all monitors (I have 3 together).

Guys I am sorry for such long first post but you're really only hope I have to resolving this. Because I feel even RMA wont help me because like I said before they'll test card (how do they tests cards ?) and they'll find no problems. Same goes for the board cause my HD6970 works without problem on PCIx_1 and 3, I am stuck without answer.

Please help.

Thank you very much.

Here we go. In this video please observe when clean desktop on the screen you'll see no lines, as long I pull up Blizzard desktop app ,right away you start to see lines. After few seconds I minimize it and just like that lines are gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8V5QaKFv_4

In next Video you looking at game in progress when lines came about. I picked up my DSLR and recorded it , I actually did it originally for ASUS when I spoke with them (waste of time btw). Please note clicking sounds. I mean my camera have nothing to do with PC yet it making this sounds on this video. Extremely strange because all sounds coming from headphones I don't have loud speakers. But no matter. Ignore sound for now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6gGxBCSkM

Once again thank you and if you like me to do any tests or anything please let me know I'll do so.

My RIG Specs.

| ASUS X99 Deluxe | Intel Core i7 5930K 3424B375 | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB OS |
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Programs | RAID0 3x750GB Caviar Black | Corsair 16GB (4 x
4GB) DDR4 2800 | ASUS AMD R9 290X | Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 | NEC
EA244WMi IPS LCD | CM HAF X Full Tower | Corsair H100i CPU AIO Liquid Cooler |
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit |

All I want to say is THANK YOU. I've had the same problem with almost the same identical setup. I've spent days and days trying to get my system to work without error, doing all the same checks as yourself. Changing my Radeon R9 290X Video card from slot one to slot three on the Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard did the trick. THANK YOU.