Asus Prime X470 Pro or ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4

/-/

Oct 24, 2018
Hi,

Through a convoluted series of events which I won't detail here, I have obtained an AMD Ryzen 7 1700, and two pieces of Crucial CT16G4WFD824A.18FB1 memory (with the intention of eventually going to four pieces, ie. 64 GB of RAM). I am looking to build a workstation (with no interest in overclocking or gaming, and reliability the most important concern).

I am trying to select a motherboard, and have tentatively narrowed it down to the two listed in the title (if someone believes I should choose something else, please tell me). By FAR, the most important factor in the selection is whether or not the motherboard is able to run the RAM I have purchased in ECC mode. Asus tech support wasn't particularly helpful (after much back and forth, I eventually got a "not recommended" out of them without any supporting reasoning, but my feeling was that they simply didn't like it because there is much faster non-ECC RAM available).

I am fairly confident that the ASRock board will run the RAM as ECC, but my impression from reading the documentation (which I could, of course, be completely wrong about) is that the ASRock board can only run the memory at a much slower speed (particularly when I fill up all four slots), where the Asus board will run it (assuming it works) at full speed.

I would really like to hear from anyone with experience running either of these boards with ECC RAM, and any reason to choose one over the other. Thank you in advance for your help.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't believe AM4 boards are validated for ECC, though there might be a few outlier boards that are. If you want ECC, you want ThreadRipper.

/-/

Oct 24, 2018
The Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 does list a similar Crucial memory stick (8 GB instead of 16 GB) on their QVL. That is why I believe it will work.