• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Asus P9X79 Pro and problems after flashing to a modded BIOS

Dave3000

Jan 10, 2011
A few hours ago from the time of this post I did a BIOS flashback on my Asus P9X79 Pro to a modded 4801 BIOS with NVMe support that I found posted online in a forum because I wanted to purchase an NVMe SSD with a PCI-E 3.0 4x adapter and use it as a boot drive on this motherboard. However, now I'm having issues, even after flashing back to the 4701 BIOS and clearing CMOS. One issue is if I shutdown my PC, the ethernet port on my motherboard won't detect by Windows 10 and the only way to workaround this issue is to reinstall the network driver or restart my PC. This works until the next time I shutdown my PC, I must go through the same process again as Windows won't detect my ethernet port. Also I noticed that I get a warning symbol next to the Intel Management Engine driver in the Device Manager if I boot my PC from a power off, but not from a reboot. A reboot from Windows 10 shows does not show the Intel Management Engine in the Device Manager but the network is detected, until I shutdown my PC and only loading up Windows 10 then rebooting back to Windows 10 the problem does not show up but the Intel Management driver does not show up in the device manager. I also tried booting to a Ubuntu Live session from a USB flash drive and my network is not detected on that OS either. Did I damage something on my motherboard due to this modded BIOS flash?

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Well that is good to hear, do you know what the culprit was and how to fix it?

Dave3000

Jan 10, 2011
Somehow, the ME firmware data got deleted from my motherboard after I flashed my motherboard's BIOS to a modded 4801 BIOS that had NVme boot drive support. After hours of searching online through forums and flashing to different BIOS versions (did not fix issue), reinstalling Windows 10 (did not fix issue), I found out in a forum that I can update the ME firmware of my motherboard with the MEFlash program that was linked in the post in that forum which included ME firmware file for my motherboard's chipset and just followed the instructions to flash the ME firmware of my motherboard. I'm now using the 4801 beta BIOS directly from Asus.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Did you ever get the NVMe support working properly?

ASK THE COMMUNITY