Asus P8Z68-v, problem whith hdd?

mihai176

Apr 3, 2013
Hello! I have this motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V/. The rest of the sistem is: i5 3470, 8GB ddr 3 1600 Corsair, Zotac GTX 560TI OC, Seasonic S2 620W, CM Haf XM. And I have three hdd: SSD Intel 60GB 330 (s-ata 3), Toshiba 1TB 7200rpm (s-ata 3) and a WD 2TB green (s-ata 2).

Before this mothreboard I had a Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3 and I had no problmes whith this sistem.

The problem is: The sistem is blocking after 3 seconds, whith the Asus logo on screen if WD 2 TB is connected. The keyboard is blocked and I can't go to bios. If this hdd is not connected, the sistem workes whith no problems. It doesn't matter where this hard is connected (s-ata 2 or s-ata 3 ports), I changed 3 s-ata cables, 2 keyboards but the sistem doesn't work.......

What is the problem? Motherboard or HDD? Does anyone had this problem? Sorry for my bad english, but you understand. THANKS!

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
At 2TB's you should be OK with MBR (Main Boot Record) partition table. Any volume larger you must initialize the HDD as GPT (GUID Partition table) partition table. So that would not be an Issue.

Is this a NEW or USED HDD? - If used it's possible it has a Boot Partition Set Active as used on your previous system. A System can only Boot 1 Active Partition - in which case the Partition marked Active must be unmarked as Active. If you do not wish to keep Data on the HDD you can BUST the HDD - that is Partitions Deleted then Re-partitioned then Formatted before it can used on the System.

You can accomplish this by mounting the 2TB HDD separately and running Diskpart from your Win Installation DVD.

Also, although Sata installations are not specifically subject to Jumper Settings I would check the Jumper Settings as well.

Last edited:

mihai176

Apr 3, 2013
The hard drive is a Wester Digital 2TB WD20EARS. It has 3-4 years. This hard was never partitioned and I never installed Windows on him. I use him only for storege (movies, music, iso). Whith this hard the computer doesn't stars.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
Have you got them disks in bios. Sound like you are shutting down at system recognition. Have you got external devices?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
he sistem is blocking after 3 seconds, whith the Asus logo on screen if WD 2 TB is connected. The keyboard is blocked and I can't go to bios.

Turn the logo off, then plug in the drive and see how far it gets. With that logo in the way it is simply a guessing game.

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
I see, it's a post problem hence a hardware problem. :)

So we have a drive not recognised in bios, that's why bios hangs. It's not the controller or the ports, so I would think it's the drive or bios. Update bios that's all I can think off since we are not even yet in windows.

PS - It is true there are limitations on bios. We should take that into consideration. You cannot relly test that, but you can split the disk in partitons to overcome that limitation. How you go about doing that is beyond me. Also if that were the case normally the drive would be seen /recognised with the wrong size sector count.

Last edited:

mihai176

Apr 3, 2013
I've disabled the logo and updated the bios (3603, last bios), and I have the same problem. Tomorow I will go whith the hard at a friend for a test. Maybe the hard is not ok....... if the hard is ok, I will put the B75 motherboard again.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I've disabled the logo and updated the bios (3603, last bios), and I have the same problem. Tomorow I will go whith the hard at a friend for a test. Maybe the hard is not ok....... if the hard is ok, I will put the B75 motherboard again.

What step is it stuck at? If you don't normally see the boot process (due to the logo) you may need to boot with/without the drive to see it more clearly.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I have a hunch your problem is the hard drive boot order in the BIOS. When you have the suspect hard drive hooked up, go into the BIOS and make sure the hard drive you are booting from is still #1.

mihai176

Apr 3, 2013
The sistem is stucking when the Asus logo appear. I put the boot on asus dvd-rw and the second boot on Intel SSD. Today I will test the hard drive in another sistem. If the hard is ok, I will buy an external rack.....

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The sistem is stucking when the Asus logo appear. I put the boot on asus dvd-rw and the second boot on Intel SSD. Today I will test the hard drive in another sistem. If the hard is ok, I will buy an external rack.....

Just to be clear, I am referring to the Hard Drive BBS Priorities, not just Boot Option Priorities. Good luck!