Asus P8Z68-V Pro problems (123 Degrees C!)

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by MBrown, Nov 28, 2012.

1. MBrown

MBrown Diamond Member

I am trying to get to the bottom of my locking up issues. I've been trying to get my CPU back down to stock settings, but each time I set it back in the BIOS it reverts back to my OC settings when it restarts. I cleared the CMOS and that didn't work. I have the Asus Turbo V utility installed for my OC and I think that is causing my problem, but it was my understanding that what ever you do in the BIOS it changes what you have done with the Turbo V software. Any suggestions on what to do to get it to stay at stock settings.

BTW please chime in here to help me figure out what my locking up issue is.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2286126

Edit: I just ran prime95 for 15 hours and now sensors across 3 different programs are saying my motherboard temp is at 123 degrees C! This can't be right...right?

Edit: Did a quick reboot of my system, temps instantly back down to 23 degrees. Whats going on?

#1 MBrown, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Asus P8Z68 problems Forum Date
    Asus P8Z68-v, problem whith hdd? Motherboards Apr 3, 2013
    Are there a problems with the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3? Motherboards Dec 4, 2012
    BIOS reset problem on asus p8z68-v Motherboards May 11, 2012
    Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 causing speakers popping problem Motherboards Mar 12, 2012
    New Build Problems Asus P8Z68-V Motherboards Mar 3, 2012

3. BonzaiDuck

BonzaiDuck Lifer

Curious -- Which processor? How high was it volted? Did it have EIST/C1E/HT/ etc. enabled? What was the overclock speed setting under load?

Check to see that the turbo switch on the mobo is turned off. [I assume at this point you made notes or UEFI "screenshots" of your BIOS settings].

See if you can't reset the machine within the Turbo V to stock settings -- within the software.

Next step: see if there is a saved "profile" of settings in a file. Delete the file, move it and/or rename it.

Try editing the BIOS again. Or reset the BIOS -- first with jumper and test, and then with the wafer-battery if necessary.

Then re-enter your BIOS settings manually or use the TPU and OC Tuner to get an initial OC setting, after which trim the VCORE and stress-test. If you are resetting to stock base and turbo ratios, set vcore to auto and stress-test briefer intervals if it seems stable and everything is working.

I only offer this because I get drawn into these discussions, and I'd seen some or all of your symptoms related to the interaction of the software and other firmware issues I have seen myself. See Motherboard P8Z68-V Pro User Guide, page 2-16, "4. TPU Switch" and bulleted notes.

4. MBrown

MBrown Diamond Member

I am at the point where I am trying to get to stock settings now and I can't. I turned to TPU switch off, I cleared the cmos, along with moving the battery and I cannot get the mobo back to 100% original configuration.

5. BonzaiDuck

BonzaiDuck Lifer

At this point, the AI software is suspect (as I see it). I dealt with this directly a few years back with an nVidia chipset and the nVidia "Tools" software: Once you manually made overclock settings within the software, it would save a profile to file, which would load every time you booted to windows. I had to delete the file -- or much the same thing -- create a revision to it by giving default settings in the software. I'm only guessing that you would circumvent unstable settings by booting in "Safe" mode to neutralize the profile.

The AI "Turbo Evo" or whatever it's called does pretty much the same thing. You may have done the other things -- turning off the TPU switch and clearing the CMOS -- but the software settings are "still there."

That's the best guess I have for your situation.

6. MBrown

MBrown Diamond Member

I just ran prime95 for 15 hours and now sensors across 3 different programs are saying my motherboard temp is at 123 degrees C! This can't be right...right?

Edit: Did a quick reboot of my system, temps instantly back down to 23 degrees. Whats going on?

#5 MBrown, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  7. bankster55

bankster55 Golden Member

8. BonzaiDuck

BonzaiDuck Lifer

I would still do what bankster55 said.

I have a Sandy 2600K @ load 4.6Ghz, which I was tweaking some more a couple months ago. I remember running Prime95 and AI monitoring with recording during the boot and session when suddenly AI reported a 0C or even lower for my own P8Z68-V Pro motherboard.

The tweaking required a few more notches up in VCORE, following a convergence to the highest value for GFLOPS in LinX. I haven't had the same trouble since, but it seemed to arise with particular combinations of stress-test and monitoring software, possibly with different monitoring softwares including AI that ran concurrently.